Punchbag Strategy

All things Desktop Dungeons

Punchbag Strategy

Postby Nurator on Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:16 pm

I am really near to breaking the game!

But I came to a dead end, so maybe someone here has a crazy idea to push this strategy to the limit :D

Punchbag Strategy
Here is how it goes:
The goal is to create a monster with 100% physical resist and low damage and enough damage reduction to get no damage. In other words get a punchbag that you can punch as often as you want!

Why would you do that other than fun? Because you can exploit it!
Prep Fire Heart, EM, Bear Mace and Quest Items with a Dwarf Transmuter (or any other race for that matter)

Now get to 100 HP on lvl 1 (that is the dead end, maybe someone can lower this), but its still less than Astrals 110 HP combo :) and scum for Rock Heart and BLUDTOPOWA.

Then create a wall on an empty spot next to your punchbag (3 mana), push the punchbag into it (no damage to both), but +1 mana +1 HP from the rock heart, use BLUDTOPOWA 2 times (6 HP) and repeat.

Effectively you get +5% maxHP + 1 HP on the fire heart for 2 mana (or 6HP). That means getting 100 maxHP is enough to get an endless loop! Oh and because you are a transmuter, you will get infinite CP with that, so infinite attack, infinite mana, infinite potions and so on :)

It pretty scummy, because you need MA for the punchbag (join, kill a spell monster, spam glyphs, get into EM and desecrate MA) and EM for the IMAWAL and Vine Form for the DR and maxhp. Optimally you have GG as your third diety for a level up + absolution spam + humility to get to 100 HP and you need the rock heart and BLUDTOPOWA...

overall its possible but not very likely. Any ideas how to lower one threshold or get an easier punchbag?^^
Nurator

Re: Punchbag Strategy

Postby Sidestepper on Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:52 pm

I don't think you need B2P and Rockheart. Can't you just use the punching bag as a meat missile? That means that you also wouldn't have to worry about staying at 1st level.

EDIT: I tried this in Hobbler's Hold and almost got it working. I prepped Mystera, Platemail, and Bearmace. the hard part is angering Mystera seven times in a row. You start to run out of low level magic monsters and when resistances start to appraoch 90%, you can't kill the mid-level ones anymore. I got up to 90, but couldn't get quite make it past that. If I had been able to get enough piety to escape MA, I could have desecrated for one last punishment. Manaburn punishment is strange. I never noticed before, but MA doesn't always punish it. Maybe she only punishes manaburn from a source once? I tried farming a Wraith and it didn't work.

I'm thinking that a gnome in Ick Swamp might be the easiest. Mass09's Ledger would also be good as a way to quickly filter in magic monsters. A low level goo blob would be the ideal missile, since then you would only need 4 punishments.

EDIT2: I think I'm confused about how knockback and resistance work. I got a wraith up to 100% resistance, leaving the other monsters at 70%, but I couldn't do any damage with my missile. I thought that secondary knockback was based on your damage, not on the actual damage dealt, but maybe I'm wrong?
Sidestepper

Postby Nurator on Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:09 am

Yeah that does not work^^ If you deal no damage the other monster does not get any damage either... same with lifesteal...

or we both dont see something you could do with your punchbags^^ pissing off MA is not THAT easy thats true, but its possible.

And yeah you need several punishments, I mistakenly thought goo blobs had 75% resistance...
Nurator

Postby Sidestepper on Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:47 am

This is weird, because the dragon cannon works, and that strategy involves pushing magic immune plants around with the hlaf-dragon's magic attack. Maybe immunity and 100% resistance are treated differently for knockback?
Sidestepper

Postby Nurator on Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:52 am

No the dragon cannon works because the half dragon has an magic attack, but its knockback is physical, thus the first attack is used to push the plants around. If you push the plant into another enemy/wall, both get physical damage so the plant dies and the enemy actually gets damaged.

physical immunity is another thing... every damage is negated, so nothing happens. But I have one idea! I cant test it now, because I am at work but I will do it in the evening and keep you posted :) If that works, I really broke the game :D
Nurator

Postby Nurator on Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:37 pm

This idea doesnt work^^ I thought maybe Corrosion on the target would increase the knockback damage. But its not possible to not damage the punchbag and still deal damage to the other monster.

But I found a better way to get an punchbag!
Play as a Gorgon, prep MA and take flames :D then you have 0 damage. If you prep platemale you can still level and get even more punchballs. I dont know if this help for anything but its funny :D
Nurator

Postby Astral on Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:40 pm

I don't really see what punchbags are good for yet, but if you want to pull it off at any lvl use a monk and hit so many opponents with weakening that your base damage drops to 1. When your basedmg is 1 and att modifier is lower than 0% your total dmg becomes 0.
For preps you can choose TT and desecreate him or piss him off.
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Astral on Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:49 pm

Wow. Maybe I found a way to use punchbags.
If they work as I think, I can tweak my method to work at 35 HP, LOL.

Tomorrow I'll test it, and share it if it works.
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Nurator on Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:42 am

Argh, Astral! I am still sure there is some use in it^^ But I want to find it first xD

The monk idea is good, but we need an easy transmuter strategy for punchbags to get really effective :D
Nurator

Postby Nurator on Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:12 pm

Ha, maybe your idea didnt work either xD can you share it, so I can get ideas out of it maybe?^^
Nurator

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons