Desktop Dungeons now available via GoG!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Desktop Dungeons now available via GoG!

Postby GoatBot on Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:49 am

GoatBot

Re: Desktop Dungeons now available via GoG!

Postby berpdreyfuss on Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:48 pm

Nice to see the game on GOG!

The question came up in the gog forums if preorders get a gog "key", I guess not, but wanted to ask it here anyway.

Also, it says that the cloud-saving system is optional, is this also true about the steam version, I still don't understand that completely.
berpdreyfuss

Postby Darvin on Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:52 pm

The question came up in the gog forums if preorders get a gog "key", I guess not, but wanted to ask it here anyway.

Indeed, if we could get an answer on this that would be great. (although I notice there doesn't appear to be an option to get the soundtrack with the game on GoG)
Darvin

Postby dislekcia on Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:04 pm

berpdreyfuss wrote:The question came up in the gog forums if preorders get a gog "key", I guess not, but wanted to ask it here anyway.

At the moment, no, pre-orders can't get their games redeemed as GoG purchases. Sorry.

berpdreyfuss wrote:Also, it says that the cloud-saving system is optional, is this also true about the steam version, I still don't understand that completely.

Yes, it's entirely optional everywhere, even the upcoming mobile versions. We extended the way the beta saved games to our server to allow anyone that has a DD.net account to save their progress too. All anyone has to do is log in via DD.net in the game and it'll pull down the latest information that the cloud has for that account - no matter what device or OS the game is running on. It's really not complicated, it's just not Steam Cloud, it's our own thing.
dislekcia

Postby berpdreyfuss on Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:18 pm

Thanks for the reply! I only noticed now that it is possible to play local without connecting to DD.net.
berpdreyfuss

Postby berpdreyfuss on Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:10 pm

There was a link on the gog forum to a statement from gog on the key matter (for the game tesla effect) it says:

"Here's how it works:
"Please give us X amount of keys."
We reply:
"OK, here you go."
That's about it, really. It would be silly to charge developers for keys to their own game :)"

I guess it is not really that simple?
berpdreyfuss

Postby Darvin on Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:04 pm

GOG buyers are having trouble setting up an account.

I've got enough rep to post links on the GOG forums, if you need someone to do that for you.
Darvin

Postby dislekcia on Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:38 pm

Darvin wrote:GOG buyers are having trouble setting up an account.

I've got enough rep to post links on the GOG forums, if you need someone to do that for you.

When they order the game, there's a section that talks about cloud keys. If they go to their GoG account page (linked in the text that talks about cloud keys), they'll see their cloud key as well as the link they need to click on to redeem their key and create a DesktopDungeons.net account. That is literally the best we could do, given how the GoG systems can't talk to our backend like Steam does. The GoG build is not the Steam build - use the cloud keys GoG is trying to give you.

The GoG forums seem horrible though.

Especially given the Desktop Dungeons release thread. It certainly feels awesome having people arbitrarily decide that we "cut content" for DLC, or that having the web build and the cross-platform saving are somehow bad things to have done... I just don't know how to even start trying to talk to people like that. Especially when they'd be complaining about the LACK of DLC, cross-platform saves and access to the web build if we hadn't put in all the extra work to make that stuff accessible through the tools GoG gave us.

That sort of entitled negativity just makes me sad. If nothing you do is good enough, why bother?
dislekcia

Postby Darvin on Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:54 pm

dislekcia wrote:It certainly feels awesome having people arbitrarily decide that we "cut content" for DLC

Don't let the vocal minority ruin your day. Fact is that Desktop Dungeons is on the top-sellers list on GOG and the people bothering to write reviews are giving it 5 stars.

I cross-posted what you said regarding the account setup on the GOG forums.
Darvin

Postby TheSchachter on Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:52 am

dislekcia wrote:
Darvin wrote:GOG buyers are having trouble setting up an account.

When they order the game, there's a section that talks about cloud keys. If they go to their GoG account page (linked in the text that talks about cloud keys), they'll see their cloud key as well as the link they need to click on to redeem their key and create a DesktopDungeons.net account. That is literally the best we could do, given how the GoG systems can't talk to our backend like Steam does. The GoG build is not the Steam build - use the cloud keys GoG is trying to give you.

The GoG forums seem horrible though.

Especially given the Desktop Dungeons release thread. It certainly feels awesome having people arbitrarily decide that we "cut content" for DLC, or that having the web build and the cross-platform saving are somehow bad things to have done... I just don't know how to even start trying to talk to people like that. Especially when they'd be complaining about the LACK of DLC, cross-platform saves and access to the web build if we hadn't put in all the extra work to make that stuff accessible through the tools GoG gave us.

That sort of entitled negativity just makes me sad. If nothing you do is good enough, why bother?

Some of the negative responses (not talking here about honest criticism, of course) to the game are rather baffling, though a part of those can be explained away as knee-jerk reactions to terms such as DLC and the like... not that it makes them less silly, just slightly more predictable.

/As an aside: I thought about mentioning this when the game first launched on Steam, but I was a bit surprised to see the special edition content sold as "Goatperson DLC"; I worried it might mis-represent what was, IIRC, initially intended as a "thank-you" bonus for those who gave extra support during the game's development. I've no doubt that there's a good reason behind the naming choice, but I do feel it's unfortunate that people jump on the letters DLC without knowing what the Goatperson is about... As much as it might be felt like empty rhetoric, I did wonder whether different naming choice or a bit of a blurb explaining why this DLC existed in the first place might have smoothed over some of the "DLC" reactions./

I largely agree with Darvin in assessing those responses as a Vocal Minority(tm). That being said, while I'm not a developer, I do have experience working in a field in which my time and effort are often devalued, dismissed and trivialized, a field which tends to involve being hired by people who have absolutely no understanding of the work involved into what I do (and lack the decency to realize that I might know more about it than them), and where competition can get absurd, unforgiving, and frankly feel unfair and arbitrary at times (that field is music). I can't know exactly how things have been for QCFdesign since DD released, but some of the responses I've seen to the game definitely feel familiar, and I know that dealing with that kind of thing (no matter how positive the rest of the feedback is) can really sap your motivation. I've been pretty lucky so far in my own experiences, but I've also seen very talented friends and colleagues lose passion for what they do, and that sucks.

I dunno how relevant the above assessment is to you, but I feel like it's worth repeating that for all of those who completely missed the point and took that opportunity to put down your work, there's a growing number of people who admire this gem you've created, from fans like the forum's vets who have spent hundreds (thousands?) of hours with your game and found each of them excellent to the IRL people I've gotten to try the game since launch who are slowly (or quickly!) becoming addicted to it.

I know that I'm in danger of being annoyingly repetitive (and that good intentions and nice words don't replace things like sales and positive press), but I still consider this the most interesting and well-designed game I've ever bought. I say this without hyperbole, and with massive respect for the work you devs do.

(Seriously, when I read the post someone wrote in that GoG thread to chastise you for daring to put additional, not-initially-planned resources in making the game available on GoG after launch, which I'm pretty sure was requested by your fans, I got a facepalm-induced concussion)
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons