UI sabotage

All things Desktop Dungeons

UI sabotage

Postby collapsinghrung on Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:04 pm

Several times now I've gone to the dungeon entrance, thinking it was the subdungeon entrance, and hit space to enter the subdungeon, which causes me to immediately and without warning lose the level. I'd really appreciate some way of differentiating the command to kill yourself from the command to visit the subdungeon. Maybe a confirmation dialog before you commit suicide? Maybe space to enter the subdungeon, but some other key to destroy all your progress? There's got to be a better system than this.
collapsinghrung

Re: UI sabotage

Postby dislekcia on Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:06 pm

They do look functionally different: Exits are "up" ladders, chains, etc. Entrances to subdungeons are "down". So they're using different graphics in every tileset. They're also coloured differently in the interface.

Although I could have sworn there used to be a "Are you sure you want to exit?" prompt. Maybe it got removed because people were only ever sure that they wanted to leave and thus complained... It was a long beta. Doubly strange that you can't double click an exit to leave, but the spacebar shortcut works.
dislekcia

Postby Darvin on Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:11 pm

You could use double-click instead of space to enter subdungeons. This does not work on the dungeon exit, so you're safe if you accidentally do this.
Darvin

Postby collapsinghrung on Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:28 am

I'm aware that the dungeon exit and the subdungeon entrance have different graphics, but the evidence suggests that that's not enough to prevent the mistake. (Also, the dungeon exit and the subdungeon exit, which is harmless, look identical.) I guess I'll make an effort to double click on subdungeon ladders, but if there should be an update to the game I'd really appreciate press-space-to-kill-yourself being disabled or disablable.

There's no confirmation dialog to leave the dungeon by pressing space or by clicking the "retire" button that presents itself when you're standing on the ladder, but there is one to leave by selecting "surrender" in the menu. This seems like a funny choice, since that's the suicide method that's hardest to reach by accident. If I were to speculate wildly, I'd say that...

1. Double click to kill yourself was disabled because someone discovered that it's easy to double click on a tile when you meant to single click.

2. Space to kill yourself wasn't because it's hard to hit the space bar inadvertently.

3. "Surrender" has a confirmation dialog while the other two don't because "Surrender" destroys your locker item even if you had a path to the exit. Frankly, I think it'd be a better design to let you keep the locker item when you "Surrender" and only require relockering if you consumed or converted the item. :/
collapsinghrung

Return to Desktop Dungeons