[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Monk Gold - Too Much Luck

Monk Gold - Too Much Luck

All things Desktop Dungeons

Monk Gold - Too Much Luck

Postby Eiphel on Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:50 am

I'm currently working my way through the class challenges before doing the Vicious dungeons. So far I've cleared all the Adventurer classes and also the Priest. Now I'm trying to do Monk. I think I've attempted it more times than I attempted all the previous four golds combined. It must be, by far, my least enjoyable level in the game. Am I missing something? Because it seems to be ridiculously luck dependent. If you don't get the right monsters nearby at the start, or you don't find shrines early, or you don't get useful glyphs, or you don't find the glyphs early, you're pretty much out of luck. And even if all of that goes your way, if you have to waste blackspace finding a monster to kill, you're probably wrecked anyway. I've never got Superduper below 300HP on my best runs. Earlier on I had what seemed an amazing run, starting by Earthmother and attack boosters, finding Burndayraz and Apheelsik within a few moves, cruising up to level 7 with about half the blackspace remaining - basically as good a run as you could hope for. I then proceeded to uncover the entire rest of the map before finding Superduper, literally in the last area of blackspace wide enough to conceal him. There's nothing entertaining when the main reason you fail the challenge has nothing to do with playskill. I actually suspect that even if you had perfect information, quite a few times the generated dungeon would actually be unbeatable. And everything else aside, it seems like beating the boss requires an amount of blackspace remaining that it's really not possible to control for. Am I just playing this badly, or is it the lottery it seems like?
Eiphel

Re: Monk Gold - Too Much Luck

Postby dislekcia on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:09 pm

Golds usually are about playing the class really oddly in order to win. What can you do with a Monk that seems non-obvious, but might be edge-case powerful?
dislekcia

Postby TheSchachter on Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:50 pm

Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby Eiphel on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:40 am

Hmm. I might be undervaluing Taurog then/overvaluing burndayraz and apheelsik. I only ever switch into Taurog very late because of the piety loss for casting those glyphs. Or possibly I'm being too scared about engaging the weakening/corrosive enemies? I'd probably burn up less blackspace if I wasn't so desperate to avoid engaging them. But I don't know how to deal with racking up weakening or corrosion, it seems like it'd be hard to take more than one or two hits of it.
Eiphel

Postby TheSchachter on Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:23 am

Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby Eiphel on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:22 am

So of course I go for one more run before bed and this happens:Image

What you can't see in this screenshot is that I still had 3 health pots and 4 mana pots remaining on top of all that blackspace leftover. I had definitely undervalued Taurog, but that said, the major difference I felt between this devastating run and all my abortive failures was still how lucky I got with finding stuff without spending too much blackspace.

Gods, I hope Paladin Gold takes less tries than that.
Eiphel

Postby Nurator on Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:43 am

Congratulations :) One additional tip for monks: Cast Fireball before you leave the enemy alone for regenerating. This way, he regenerates one less health per tile, effectively reducing his lvl by 1.

And never forget the simple equation. If Your Level* Your Damage*4>Enemy Level*Enemy Damage you can regenfight him. ALWAYS do that while exploring. Never explore without engaging a fight, then you will be fine :)

Good luck with Pala, the game is just getting harder by now :) :D
Nurator

Return to Desktop Dungeons