[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Class/Race concepts

Class/Race concepts

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Class/Glyph concepts

Postby Tinker on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:25 am

Lujo, impressive work on the Demonic Library demon lords!

Though it's coincidental that you are only level 2 because you're playing a strat that does not require you to level, because all its components are level-independent (mana) or highly tweakable at low level (base damage for an Orc). Without the converts you'd correspond to maybe a L5 or so. Plus you've spent lots of blackspace.

When I played the GobboSorc yesterday, I took down my first demon lord at level 6 (I could've dropped one earlier but I wanted to use resources more efficiently), then went on to take them down one-by-one with very little exploration, just refilling on the level-ups. Zero effort, no risk, no need to find WEYTWUT or PISORF or think about placement, no permanent resources spent! PISORF is strong, can be crazy good with the right constellation of things, but I don't think you're doing the comparison justice by taking the best possible PISORF scenario where everything meshes together and you've gone into great lengths to make it work, and compare it with just the basic "I pick up BURNDAYRAZ and cast is couple of times" scenario.

If you want to compare best case to best case, consider something like the Orc Wizard who went Binlor -> JJ/Mystera and converted stuff to boost base damage and got lucky finding stuff (i.e. teleportation magic, etc.)... Versus a fireball user who has everything going and got lucky. I had a NC run with the Gnome Sorcerer where I got lucky with my shop spawns... The result was a Feeling Parched run. And confirmation about the firepower of the combination (enough to take down NC+VT with nothing but fireballs).

So if the point you're making is that PISORF is strong, and a valid strategy, I fully agree to it. If your point is that the tooltip isn't clear, I also subscribe to that... But I don't think PISORF in any way overshadows fireballs. All things considered, I still use BURNDAYRAZ as my main caster strat, though I do use PISORF strats quite often (probably 60%-40% split in favor of fireball due to extreme simplicity of setup and super efficiency, and really cool flame animations).
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Lujo on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:37 am

I didn't go to great lenght to make it work :lol: That's the thing, this was a 20 minute quickie without bothering with much stuff. And I wasted a lot of blackspace because I wanted to grab a completely meaningless Stone Fist from Binlor and was looking for walls. Was completely unnecessary. This was a lousy, low effort run. And also - if it means I get to kill all all the stuff I did - how did I waste blackspace? Who or what in the would would've wasted less, unless it was this exact same thing but without me deciding I wanted to grab a Stone Fist for whatever reason?

Do you want me to do 10 runs of this in a row? Or show you what it looks like properly cheezed? Because this isn't anything special, or were there any great lenghts involved. I didn't even popcorn-bowl! I just moved a few fat guys around.

And in further confirmation of the visuals being misledaing - my base damage equated to lvl 5 not lvl 6, except the number isn't shown anywhere on the screen. This wasn't a "took great lenghts" or "got lucky run", this is morning cofee, haven't woken up yet run. And if I weren't an Orc, I would've simply leveled up as I explore, and killed 2 lvl 10 guys at lvl 5 with more resources left over since I'd probably not convert anything, so if anything the Orc is inefficient when you think about it. And I hardly even converted much, either. And didn't even find the secret subdungeon. Don't even remember what the regular one was, either.

EDIT: And it's basically a lvl1 boss kill with no whoopaz. Well, skinny boss, but 2 bosskilss.

Really need to make a video it seems. For what exact purpose, I'm not sure, but it would certainly clear up any notions of this being contrived in any way. This is EASY, except people think it isn't, and explaining that there's no tricks involved seems to be harder than actually doing it. Which to me points towards - tootips and posibly mechanics being on the arcane side more than necessary (unless... puts tinfoil hat on... they were ment to make it obscure? *twilight zone music*)

Anyway, here's another quick one, if there was a way to get bloodpools out of stuf without killing it it would've been a lvl1 bosskil :lol: Did apply Whoopaz - to the other guy. But I did play a tad more careful. No Wheytwut, only pissorf for positioning, theyre both going down for sure. VT. Also, way more inefficient because I used most of my resources at lvl 1, would've been far easier if I bothered to actually level up before I started fighting them.

Also would've been at least a smidge more difficult if the phys res guy was actually resistant to pissorf. Which is basically what I'm kinda on about, Pissorf is "fine" for bypassing Fireball protection. Except it's also rather fine indeed for bypassing anything at all.

---

Also, fireballs fine and legit, I use it all the time. :lol: This is just a demo of how noone needs to be afraid of anything happening to Pissorff, it's too bloody good as is, which I don't actually mind that much. Would've been a proper vicious dungeon run if I couldn't bypass the physical resistance on that one guy and the avatar with it, though.

Guess I'd just love it if it wasn't so arcane, and if maybe some proper DR monsters showed up in an expansion or something.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Lujo on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:46 am

And for posterity, just a small illustration of what "I'm awake" Pissorf spam looks like:

No altar desecrations, schadenfraude still in the shops, didn't bother convertion out of Mystera once I was done with her. Had an even better run with JJ instead of Mystera, but misclicked myself stupidly. Subdungeon Blacksmith. Victory screen in the other thread, and yeah, this was kinda overkill and too easy with all the spellcasting junk I lucked out on because it had juice in the tank enough for more bosses - but no orc, and a 5 mana pissorff after a 60 mana boon. VT. Max level difference for kills was 6 I think, so I must've done it at lvl 4 or something. Unused DP, unused Reflex, dodge + whoopaz on the Iron Man, everything else pissorf.

Still, it's nowhere NEAR "Put actual effort into it" pissorff spam, and would've worked without a 3rd of the stuff that was favourable. Being a gnome was kinda too stacked in my favor, shoulda been a human or something. Just saying.

Not gonna say anything more on this topic (and deffinitely not in this topic, sorry about that :( ), but if anyone can think of a really gimped run for pissorf spam where I can still prep Binlor feel free to drop it in my playthrough thread.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby MTaur on Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:21 pm

MTaur

Re: Class/Race concepts

Postby MTaur on Thu May 14, 2015 6:45 am

Pie Chart Man
(Monster class)
A radioactive incident involving a middle manager and his pie charts has created a ravenous monster bent on consuming the world. As bad as that sounds, he's basically just another Banker, but not quite as undead.

Conversion: Power Pellets. Begins with a Slaying Wand that recharges once per 100 +10(N-1) CP. Cannot be converted. Five kills later, a monster killed by Power Pellets revives and follows the player around (like the Minotaur boss).

Torus Walk - The top of the map wraps around to the bottom, and the left side to the right side, for all intents and purposes.
Bull Market - Enemies randomly move one space horizontally or vertically each time the player casts a spell or attacks (but monsters who have just been targeted by a spell or attack are excluded). Monsters who would move into the player's square engage in one basic attack rotation.
Eat The World - Gains one gold for every 25 tiles explored (I believe maps are 20x20 = 400 tiles). Cannot prep additional/different potions, and no potions spawn at the beginning of the run, but each of the 9 potions spawns in order near the middle of the map upon reaching levels 2-10.
MTaur

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons