[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Class/Race concepts

Class/Race concepts

All things Desktop Dungeons

Class/Race concepts

Postby MTaur on Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:42 pm

Last edited by MTaur on Thu May 14, 2015 6:52 am, edited 7 times in total.
MTaur

Re: Class/Glyph concepts

Postby Darvin on Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:12 pm

Darvin

Postby Kami on Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:24 pm

Kami

Postby Darvin on Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:06 pm

Darvin

Postby Astral on Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:34 pm

I think instead of creating a new glyph for the jester, adding him a Gettindare would be better. With a twist:
he can spam it as much as he wants it to, and even gets a 1mp discount for it. But he has a permanent slowed debuff, so casting the glyph would result in him being normal.

I kinda dislike shifty. For a 3rd trait I'd give this:
Unpredictable: You start with a random strike effect, and every time you cast Gettindare it's changed randomly for a new one. Leveling up also rerolls it. Possible effects: knockback, poisonstrike, lifesteal, burning strike, magical attack, corrosive strike. Actual numbers need to be adjusted. The numbers could have some randomness to them too, like once you get 4 poison strike, on a different roll only 2.
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby MTaur on Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:29 pm

These are probably all broken. Some more than others. But I like the feedback.

Slypree is different from Getindare in that it's supposed to stack. Which could be good, but possibly wasteful.

About dodge prediction resets go, I guess a change to when a reset happens could be used, but that would be a pain. Each monster could have its own sequence of hit rolls out of 100 that you have to beat, for example. Gambling on whether one more Slypree will put you over the threshold could be part of the thrill.

The Weytwut effect is sort of goofy, but after you've hit a monster once, you won't force exploration any further. Double-edged at best, maybe, but not broken either way. It would lead to a lot of bonus XP, but it would waste tiles.

About Troll vs Monk, some classes are strong early, and some are weak early. Orc needs %damage to snowball late, and Sorcerer is amazing early.

When I said "gold instead of XP", I meant exactly the same amount. That is, 4 gold for a Level 4, etc. A lot of gold. Maybe it should be less than that, but there are only so many shops and item slots anyway. Troll v1 would probably do well with a Balanced Dagger just to make sure that you get XP instead of Gold out of most low-level monsters.
MTaur

Postby Darvin on Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:52 pm

Darvin

Postby MTaur on Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:11 am

I had no idea that Weytwut dodge chances stacked. Dodge and first-strike basically don't even interact, since if you make much use of one, then the other hardly matters. But if you can just spam Weytwut on popcorn to ramp up your dodge chance, then that's another story.

I could see not having a whole new glyph, then. Simply waiving the casting restriction like with Cydstep/Warlord would work fine here, with some other tweak possible as suggested upthread or some such.
Last edited by MTaur on Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
MTaur

Postby MTaur on Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:18 am

Sometimes I include things for theme reasons and try to figure out whether it can be balanced later. I don't really want to toss the idea of a bullying troll who collects money immediately, but it definitely would have extreme drawbacks to contend with. It's harder to test with video games, though.
MTaur

Postby MTaur on Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:26 am

Would dodge prediction be so bad if you lost half your accumulated dodge chance whenever you landed a kill? Same idea as Crusader's level ups... It would still take a lot of mana on average to avoid one hit.
MTaur

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons