[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Class-specific lockers?

Class-specific lockers?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Class-specific lockers?

Postby MTaur on Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:48 pm

Here's a new idea (as far as I know)... One buyable locker slot for each class. 2k gold each? 2500 gold?

There are 19 classes, and extra slots cost 10k and then 40k for the main building... Seeing as it's already valued like this and this is like paying for one extra in installments with an added perk, I could see them costing 5-10k, but I wouldn't be that happy about it. 2k-2.5k seems a bit nicer, and less likely to encourage using the same class over and over again overall.
MTaur

Re: Class-specific lockers?

Postby Raz on Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:57 pm

I have recently been playing the burning/PQI chase game. Having done most all but the vicious quests (Dragon Isles exception- vicious is SERIOUSLY difficult). I am now mainly using the locker to house some schtick busting items (titan guitar for shifting passages/labarinth for example). PQI likes shifting passages especially, but labarinth seems to bounce between PQI & Flaming. I am mainly at the "playing for completion" state, but have found that the "limited" locker space is never really the issue it seemed to be on the surface. I will probably keep the guitar untill those two "wall schtick" dungeouns are out of PQI rotation if not fully finished, then swap it out and not lookback.
Another I have lockered at the moment is the sensation stone- Goblin Bonus Bravery quests to do yet, and i feel that would make those MUCH eisier. When those are done, the stone is gone.
The only other item i felt i HAD to have was soul orb (western jungle) or viper ward (hexx ruins), and I didn't really HAVE to have them- just made things simple.
On the occasion when western jungle was the burning dungeon- I popped into hobblers hold with the tinker (shop scroll prepped-maybe) for three extra shops. Found the soul orb within 2 minutes of exporation and left by the stairs and took it with me to the jungle, I,ve spent as much time just chosing preps berore.
I will however NEVER swap out the dragon shield. Having to beat a vicious dungeon to recover an item is way too high a price (and there are only 3 or 4 of these vicious reward items- i think maybe these items where the original reason for the lockers, but players became quickly dependent on it for a quick crutch to get them through a normal run and kept wanting "another inch" on top of the four they already got and were losing sight of the fact they didnt need any at all).
Of corse I always prep a locker item (except purist PQI). If this game offers an edge- always take it. But I hadn't come to these realizations untill recently. Now I have a new perspective on the devs resistance to expanding the lockers (at one point the players were practically demanding limitless locker space- "If it was ever brought back from a run, it should be always available to prep"- would have degraded player skill as a constant crutch, not enhanced it.

Bottom line, if you have seen it in a shop before, don't fret too much about swapping it out of your locker. It can be repaced quickly from a large shop pool for little to no cost.
Raz

Postby dislekcia on Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:48 pm

dislekcia

Postby MTaur on Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:10 pm

MTaur

Postby Lujo on Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:30 pm

Last edited by Lujo on Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:04 pm

Darvin

Postby MTaur on Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:10 pm

I have only been playing DD for a few months, and have only talked in the forums a couple weeks, if that. So I missed the drama. I personally would like to see more lockers. The only reason I don't have my lockers all perma-filled is that I've been shying away from the Vicious dungeons for the most part. Dragon Shield sounds nice, though.

There are other ways of forcing varied gameplay than not having locker space. Quests that make you play Gnome Berserker and whatnot... And quests could be rigged up to replace your starting gear with whatever they choose, or it could just be a "purist" run.

If lockers are a crutch and a just plain bad idea, then might as well increase starting gold by 25 and remove lockers altogether. But I don't see it that way, either.
MTaur

Postby Darvin on Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:29 pm

Darvin

Postby Astral on Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:51 pm

I would like more locker space too, but I have already come up with a workaround for the problem, so I'm fine with it. I do not think that having bigger lockers or even an infinite one must cause skill decay. I like variety above all, and if I had no locker restrictions I would use it for making more silly self-imposed challenges for myself centered around untested strats.

I also hate scumming even in the smallest degree. This combined with my love for variety means I need to keep the mass09 ledger, Pepper the Zombie dog and titan guitar lockered. I can't imagine myself hunting for any of these. Vicious rewards also have a permanent seat despite me rarely using them. But I don't want to go through a vicious dungeon just to use one item for 10-15 minutes. For similar reasons the Fabulous Treasure didn't leave my lockers either.
So just because I hate scumming, and want some comfort I have effectively 7 less lockers.

I'm not trying to complain though, as I said I found a workaround already. It was just my take on it.
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Lujo on Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:08 am

But yeah, what Darvin said - my progress along the curve was most affected by plateuing every time I couldn't justify taking something out of the locker, and then discovering something new when in a fit of madness I took something out of the locker and put something else in. It just created artificial situations where it seemed like I've seen everything the game had to offer and had to fight my sense of RL self-preservation (by not wasting my time on drugdery) to discover something I would've otherwise discovered faster.

But I also apologize for rattling off on the topic. Original intention was just to point the nice man towards transmuter scumming being much more efficient and letting old hatchets stay buried, I've no cause to cause more ruckus on this issue. Big apology. Wish gods gave me more sense, or at least enough sense to learn my social interactions while I was young enough :(

(As for why transmuter - take goblin transmuter to Venture Cave, hold down L, level up while you reveal the map, check shops, if the thing isn't there repeat ad nauseum. If you're looking for quest items or elites, prep appropriate prep. Den of danger is too clogged, tinkers don't know where the shops are, and goblins refill mana by leveling up so you don't have to move or interact with anything. After all, you're only there to locker the item you actually want to be using somewhere else, right?)
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons