[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Wiki Discussion - Dungeon Page Layout

Wiki Discussion - Dungeon Page Layout

All things Desktop Dungeons

Wiki Discussion - Dungeon Page Layout

Postby Darvin on Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:46 pm

Tinker and I on the wiki are at a disagreement as to the best way to lay out the dungeon pages, specifically in regards to the where the image should go. I'd like the pages to be consistent, but I'm not a fan of making unilateral decisions. A lot of our members have sporadic activity on the wiki, so I'm deciding to make the discussion here on the forums to get more visibility and opinions. The two layouts are as follows

Place the image at the top of the page in a frame
or
Place the image at the bottom of the page

I argue that the image should be displayed prominently, and by using the "frame" formatting we can place the image side-by-side with the text to make better vertical use of space. Tinker considers the text to be more important and the map really just secondary, and thus it should be placed at the bottom of the page. Thoughts, Desktop Dungeons-forum goers?

Edit: a compromise proposal has been put forward to place the image at the top of the page and size it smaller. I like this proposal, and have edited the rock garden page (the first link above) to reflect it.
Last edited by Darvin on Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darvin

Re: Wiki Discussion - Dungeon Page Layout

Postby Astral on Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:11 am

The 1st looks better, the 2nd ore is more practical.
I'd go with the 1st, because it gives a good feel for the pages.

Also if a new player tries to find a dungeon, but does not remember it's name, then he can identify it easier, without even scrolling down :P
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Lujo on Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:26 am

People are drawn to the shiny, and the map doesn't really tell you anything except that "yes this is the dungeon you were looking for". So deffinitely the picture up top. It's the organization of the text that poses the real question - in-depth textwalling or short info bullet points?
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby MTaur on Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:51 am

I definitely think that the dungeon image should be near the top. If you want to do something more advanced, then props to you. A smaller map that easily expands into a larger space would be pretty impressive and useful.
MTaur

Postby TheSchachter on Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:08 am

Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby flap on Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:37 am

flap

Postby berpdreyfuss on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:23 am

I also like the layout of the first one. It looks more like an article that way and there's a lot information in the map to get a good overview of the dungeon.
berpdreyfuss

Postby Tinker on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:59 am

Greetz to all, first post here, great to see there's also a forum dedicated to this awesome game! I'm a relatively new DD player, and I'm even newer as a user of the wiki. I actually just started to add some content (some missing class challenges and dungeons).

As a newbie reader of the DDwiki, I developed a bit of a dislike for the first layout, because the picture is quite big, taking up cca. 3/4 of the width of the page, and I had some difficulty following the text due to the multiple line breaks within each sentence. It gets even worse if the text is properly referenced with the thumbnails & links.

So while I also agree that having the picture within the text looks better, I've found that I come to a dungeon page for the content, not the map, especially since the map is random (and can sometimes be very different even - consider the central area of Halls of Steel).

But the idea of a smaller picture is really compelling - this way, the picture could be embedded in the page to make it look tasteful, without taking too much space away from the text. Should someone wish to look at the map in detail, it's still 1 click away to inspect it. It's definitely worth trying! What would be the right size ratio? 50%?
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Astral on Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:52 pm

Hi Tinker, welcome aboard!

It's good you shared your opinions about it, and you raised very valid points.

I know little about wikis, but if we could upload shrinked pics like that, then that is the best solution so far.
50% sounds fine to me as well.
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Darvin on Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:16 pm

I'd agree with resizing the image downwards. I've edited the Rock Garden page accordingly.

To save you a trip to the page history, I changed it from this:
[[File:Rock_Graden.jpg|frame]]
to this:
[[File:Rock_Garden.jpg|right|600px]]

Feel free to play around with that sizing and suggest alternatives.
Darvin

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons