[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Wiki Discussion - Dungeon Page Layout

Wiki Discussion - Dungeon Page Layout

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Wiki Discussion - Dungeon Page Layout

Postby Lujo on Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:57 pm

Oh, ofc, but if we're talking about if someone wants to (for whatever reason), use specifically Pissorf as the glyph of choice, what I described is how you use it. Anything specfic you tack onto that past the point of glyph choice is up to personal preference, but the glyph works how it works - you move a few things if necessary and play anyone like a semi-assassin. That's elementary dedicated pissorf spellcasting.

As for it being better than fireball - it's simple. If you want to make an effective pissorf guy into an effective fireball guy, you have to add stuff. If you want to make a fireball guy into a pissorf guy, you can subtract stuff. Pissorf just does more with less. Going above what you need to be a pissorf guy, which really isn't much, is absolutely just a matter of personal preference / map layout specifics if you're looking to spellcast vs. a map. Pissorf guy needs one mana on top of extra mana (or 3 over 13), and the glyph, everything else is highly optional/overkill (and I do mean everything), if your spellcaster needs more than that, you're playing a worse spellcaster. Probably quite fun, possibly better suited to someone's personal taste, potentially better against some specific situation, but it's not a stronger spellcaster. Pissorf might be boring, or not give proper sense of achievement or agency to some people - myself among them, I'm fully aware of just how basic what I'm doing with it most of the time is - but that's how it is. If rolling something very quickly with spells under PQI restrictions is what I have to do - pissorf wins the cheeze race (often not just vs burndayraz since it's bugged). Not the prefference race, not the thrill race, or anything, if I overload it fails the sense-of-achievement race hard and makes me depressed, I'll play 15 fail Gnome Pyro's vs Naga City in a row if I want to to mix it up and have a blast, but it does win the cheeze race.

These days if I prep for prefference I prep up a Dwarf Warlord. They have a very nice blend of "complete win" and "sense of achievement" for me, it seems. Pissorff is for fast forwarding redundant flames, highly brutal PQI combos and picking up vicious PIQ badges, mostly. And that's mostly because of the bug and because the Crystal Ball is too damned good vs. too many badges, and Binlor is too damned good vs. some maps, and that means I'll either have the glyph anyway or i'll have the ball, and it's the easiest thing to use with the ball. A month ago I played hardly any pissorf, it was TT firebal spellcasters, halfling berserkers and such all day every day. I do enjoy using pissorf with guys who naturally have it as their glyph of choice, like fighters, which is to say that I like some actual strats with it. But I played a fair bunch of guys who're pre disposed to it, like assassins, in other ways, and when you consider how good Orc Bloodmages are with Pisorf you could also notice that I tend to play a lot more pyro friendly ones by preference and avoid Orc ones most of the time. So I privately enjoy some specific pisorf strats, but not all of them. What I described, though, isn't a strat and I'm not especially biased towards generic pissorf play in any subjective way.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Tinker on Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:36 am

What you described is one way to use PISORF. But I already said that.

Now I'm a bit lost on the PISORF vs. BURNDAYRAZ angle. First you stated that there is no need to compare the two; then you stated that PISORF is flat out better than BURNDAYRAZ because it does more damage. So I show why that isn't true, and then you switch to saying that instead it's better because of how you need to add or subtract stuff if you want to turn one user into another (? what that even means).

I'm not even sure you've read my last few posts on this topic. I feel like: you say your thing; someone shows why that isn't so; the effect is you just keep saying the same thing as if it would somehow invalidate the counterpoints you ignored. I'm wondering if I can expect any intellectually rewarding outcome from this discussion...

EDIT: bottom line for me is, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but it makes discussion hard when an opinion is accepted as fact when it isn't. Which is even a bit relevant to the post, as a general note, the Wiki should be as objective as possible, ideally listing facts; mentioning strategies / interactions; and leaving out opinions.
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby dislekcia on Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:42 am

Lujo. This is a warning. Tone your shit down or get banned again... Wow :(
dislekcia

Postby MTaur on Sun May 03, 2015 8:54 pm

I edited Gorgon some today. Keep in mind that I'm not an S-tier player and some of my conclusions might deserve scrutiny, but I hope it's better on the whole and I tried to stick to things I was fairly sure about.
MTaur

Postby Lynzkar on Mon May 04, 2015 1:20 pm

I think we are all getting pretty off topic.
I also think we should all make a cake, a vanilla cake. Vanilla cakes are delicious.
Anyways I might actually make a concept for a different dungeon page layout
I am the king of the rats now! Bow before me, peasants.
Class-suggestions, with sprites
Lynzkar

Postby MTaur on Tue May 05, 2015 1:25 am

Sorry... this thread was the closest existing thread to what I wanted to talk about, but I guess I should just start a totally new thread if I want to talk about the wiki in general any further. Or maybe there is one buried a few pages back, idk.
MTaur

Postby Lujo on Tue May 05, 2015 2:19 am

Guys, only I was warned, it's still the wiki thread, lol. Let's just change the subject, right? A milion things in the game besides pissorf...
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Tue May 05, 2015 3:57 pm

Darvin

Postby MTaur on Tue May 05, 2015 5:03 pm

MTaur

Postby Lujo on Tue May 05, 2015 6:59 pm

Last edited by Lujo on Wed May 06, 2015 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons