[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Any hope for a tweak patch?

Any hope for a tweak patch?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Any hope for a tweak patch?

Postby Lujo on Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:43 am

Oh, and Armor.Exe and Mage Plate - depending on whether you know I found the golem.exe or not the victory screen from the latest run (at the moment of this writing) can look like 2 very different things.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Lujo on Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:22 pm

Here's an interface thing - I almost failed a miser run because the boss I just killed was standing over a shop. This is because the little tabs with different things (inventory, piety, whatever's on the ground), don't prioritize the throphy. Maybe they should? Because if I just instinctively clicked I would've stupidly failed the quest.

Another thing I also noticed is in the first level of the triple quest - if you get bloodpools underneath shops you don't see them, so you kinda dance around looking for them a lot. Maybe something could be done about that, too?

How are the rest of you guys with stuff covered over by plants?
Lujo

Postby caviar on Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:30 pm

caviar

Postby Tinker on Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:19 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Lujo on Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:45 pm

Eh, I'm fine with her covering stuff in terms of denying acess to them, what I meant is when you can't see stuff because she's covered it.
Lujo

Postby Astral on Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:57 pm

Takes a lot of eyeballing and some types of plants can perfectly block the right objects, so it's very annoying. If I don't have to spend it I like racking up her piety high, so I can explore quite a bit before tripping over her shrubbery. If I find some other altars in the meantime or my bosses I can also decide if I want to take some early Clearences as well.

On pure casters I don't care, most of the boosters are unneeded and shops are still easy to find. If I'm lazy to come up with a glyph combo to remove a plant I just cut them.

This whole plant's are in your way issue disappears when you go Paladin or Half-Dragon, so they are a fun solution too.
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Lujo on Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:16 pm

All right, here's a BIG DEAL. Sort of.

I've been looking at the codex on this playthrough a lot, and what I've noticed a while ago is that I was missing a player status. I thought it might be something obscure, so I didn't worry about it, except I got to kinda well over half way into the PQI (playing all sorts of things), and I was still missing it.

It wasn't anything obscure, it was Warriors Pact. The +1 HP for 3 piety per kill one. That obviously needs a buff. Now, it may sound strange because I'm a fan of +HP boons and such, but this is just too clunky to be workable, and even if it isn't really - Scholars Pact and Body Pact are both sorta strictly better, Spirit Pact has a clear niche, and you can take Alchemist Pact with just about anyone. I've even used Flames a bunch, but it seems I've never ever used this thing.

So that's point one.

QUESTION: Is anyone ever using Warriors Pact, and does everyone else agree that it's totally crowded out of it's niche by Scholars and Body pacts?

EDIT: I've mulled it over in my head and the more I think about it the more that thing looks more like a debuff than a buff. If a boss had this as an effect it would effectively screw up either your piety or your popcorn munching. It's not just crowded out, it's actually terrible! If you take this with most gods you've upped the difficulty more than if you prepped the Vicious Token! WTF is up with this thing?

---

Stone Sigil gets complained about a bunch, but the effect isn't terrible at all, and if the effect was buffed it'd be a very strong prep which messess with gods, so I wouldn't do that exactly. It could use more appeal as a shop item for sure as it's not worth 18 gold. It's not niche, but it's not worth 18 gold, and just about anything else you could buy looks like it has more immediate and tangible benefits. I don't think rating it at about the same gold/cp value as Stone Heart would be bad. I'd buff it that way. But keep it's current effect in order to prevent it becoming a new Balanced Dagger, because...

---

Balanced Dagger is outrageously broken. I remember when it wasn't, and people were never using it, but buffing both the effect, price and size probably wasn't a good idea. It's highly impactful in any game, auto-purchase almost every time you see it, and even though it technically has an opportunity cost it's mostly negligable comapared to the benefits.

It shouldn't be small, and it should cost more. It just has way more impact than it's size and cost penalize and would be worth putting way more money into. And carrying it around should be a bit more of a decision and incure more of an opportunity cost, not just be something you snap-pick on anything.

It wold still be one of the strongest most game changing no-brainer snap pick gamewinners overshadowing just about anything you could prep, purchase or get off a god on almost any run with anyone whatsoever, just significantly less outrageous than it is now. Yes this sounds like I'm exhagerating... except I'm not even that far off from fact.

---

Crystal Ball - is still "Keg of Schadenfraude". If knockback bypassing resistance makes Pissorff overly dependable regardless of the map, CB makes it overly dependable regardless of Badge, race, number of popcorn, whatever. Sure, the tradeoff is that you can't really buy much if you spam too much, but - what would you buy other than more Schaden?

I'd bump the activation cost to 5/10/15 etc. Make it bite you in the ass for cheezing it too hard. Not sure what could be done about it otherwise, but it would at least be something. The only time I mess up with it is when I instinctively buy a Schadenfraude thinking it's the thing I want most in the world - and only then remember I allready had a cheaper one in my inventory which doesn't require getting hit but which now I can't use because I spent 15 gold on a full mana refill which is a worse deal compared to it. Just... think about that.

---

Well, that's kinda that about the items. Again, no clue if any of these (or any other kind of tweaks) will ever be applied, but I'm kinda confident about these bieing entirely justified.
Last edited by Lujo on Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lujo

Postby Astral on Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:31 pm

Yeah Warrior's Pact is super niche. Like, lifesteal oriented Drac Rogue regenfigther niche. Works nicely on Rouge Silver, on other places you need luck for the combo, and a boss who is worth regenfighting.

Also thanks for mentioning it, now I know which effect was I missing on my new profile :D

Apart from Drac Worshipping lifesteal Rogues, I don't know what else can benefit from it. There are much better pacts, and Body Pact fills the same role, except does it way better. Maybe if it gave protection instead...

Stone Sigil is meh, with high cost and bad CP. Auto veto for me, but sometimes I take it out for Goatpersons. I don't think buffing it to +2 piety/kill would be broken, AC would still give more piety on top of the indulgences. Unless you're counting on desecrating your altars no matter what.
If it ever gets buffed, I hope it becomes cheaper and receives a bump in CP too.

Btw, what would you think of SS if it gave +1 piety/piety gaining action instead? It would allow for silly loops, like earning Binlor piety by Imawall + Endiswall but that's terribly inefficient compared to regular worship. Would also make prepped GG more attractive.

I'm not sure about BD, to me the fact you have to fight same level monsters to benefit from it, and lose out on popcorn and bonus experience for better kills mean I usually ignore it.

I agree that CB is very powerful, it turns anyone into a caster and could act like a Vicious reward, more so than NC, but I wouldn't touch it. There needs to be some simple and strong stuff to help less experienced players. In my eyes, this is the Swift Hands of items.
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Lujo on Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:47 pm

^ I wouldn't touch Warriors Pact on Drac, because it takes away more piety you get from kills than you get before you take any boons. And it adds -3 to any punishable kill on any god. And can randomly screw up important thersholds simply because you've been munching popcorn. It's utterly terrible. I think it's so bad that the reason noone complained about it is because everyone ignored it all the time and thought it had to have some reason to be there, except there probably isn't one.

It actually looks like the strongest possible anti-god debuff you could get on yourself in the whole game. It should be on a boss, not a God XD

---

I think Stone Sigil is better than you think, but it's overpriced and could have more CP. It'd be a snap pick up, but it's not so powerful that it would really break stuff.

---

Eh, about BD - yeah it looks like it has a penalty and opportunity costs and stuff... but there's been way too many situations where I'd try a run 3-4 times, and totally breeze it with the Dagger. You don't HAVE to fight same level monsters when you have it, but you can ding with popcorn while you unload into higher level stuff (and it also stacks with Imawal). I don't really mind the effect, even, but I do mind it being small and cheap. It's like SS and it have the costs the wrong way around.

---

I don't even think you could change the CB effect anyway, just bump the activation cost a tiny bit. It wold still be simple and powerful, but it would just put one less Schaden potion into any dungeon where you start with it. It's cool that it enables stuff, but it's kinda uncool when you start feeling skill decay because of falling into a habit of prepping it and leaning on it. Too much of a good thing, and all that.
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:10 pm

Darvin

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons