Wiki - finishing touches

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Wiki - finishing touches

Postby Tinker on Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:25 pm

Guys, I've been kidnapped in the East by whomever inhabits those parts (mostly undead, I guess? :lol: ), trying to capture the entrance view of the last two Eastern subdungeons. I'm still missing 2:
*Depleted Glyph, and
*Gold & 3 Imps.

If someone would be so kind, that should they stumble upon either of these subs, to quickly make an entrance view screenie and just post it up on the subdungeons wiki page (or here and I'll re-post on the wiki)?

I'm offering a virtual hug for each. ;)
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Tinker on Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:04 pm

Oh my! Two of my former theories got refuted today. :shock:

The more relevant one is about the subs. I just realized something: there are sometimes *different versions* of the same subdungeon.

Example: "Teeth Teeth Teeth" is found in the North, has the Strange Amulet, and a signpost with a horror story tweet with TEETH (of all! :lol:). Then there's "Strange Amulet", found in the south, has the Strange Amulet, and a very different signpost about pulling back south against adversity. Different tile set, same items (signpost, 5 gold, amulet), different signpost story. :x

Also, the Dented Helmet is found in two different subs - with very different texts - whether found in North or Center. I think the list will go on and on as we realized just how deep the rabbit hole goes! :o

(the other theory was that it is practically impossible to get drunk drinking only tequilas, though that one's less relevant here... :lol: )
Tinker

Postby Phoil on Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:49 am

I've started adding the signpost text for all the subdungeons. I've included the "Entrance View" columns for now, but for the signpost dungeons, the layout is completely random, so I don't think the entrance view is useful (this includes the Depleted Glyph and Gold & 3 Imps subdungeons that you asked for above). What is useful is an image of the tile color, but that is the same for all signpost subdungeons in a given region.
Phoil

Postby Gakato on Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:22 pm

You might want to have a look here. I started already on gathering those signs (the story relevant ones) together with flap and sitnaltax also contributed to it. That page was intended to unravel the story of DD, so maybe it could be merged or sth, at least story wise that list needs some kind of sorting. :)
Gakato

Postby Phoil on Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:18 pm

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that page. It has a lot of overlap with the subdungeons page. What I'll probably do is keep it all on the subdungeons page, but use all the info from there. As for sorting, I'm not sure that there is an objective way of sorting them.. they are more snippets of lore rather than a linear story. I was planning to keep the same order as the text in the game files, for want of anything better.
Phoil

Postby Tinker on Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:35 pm

I think that it's a really neat idea to have the signposts on the Subdungeons page!

It looks like a good idea to distinguish between the randomized and non-randomized subs, though I'd limit number of tables to minimum to ensure legibility / sorting.
Tinker

Postby Zazzlegut on Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:50 pm

I'd like to recommend a few small additions to the page for the Cursed Oasis dungeon. I just discovered these so they are fresh in my mind.

1. You don't go to the Cursed Realm if you level up while you are in a subdungeon in the normal realm.

2. After you kill the Cursed Shade and are forced to the normal realm, you can return. For some reason I thought that once you killed the Cursed Shade you were barred from the normal realm, but you aren't. You can go back if you get cursed again.

3. The Cursed Dragon does not automatically lose his ability to curse you when you kill the Cursed Shade. It seems you have to go back to the Cursed Realm and get the pendant the Shade drops before he stops cursing.
Zazzlegut

Postby Tinker on Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:30 pm

Killing the Curse Shade doesn't actually force you back into the normal realm. You only return if you had exactly one Curse Stack, and killing the Curse Shade - just like killing any other non-Cursed monster - removes that one last Curse Stack. If you have 2+ stacks, you don't return to the normal realm immediately.

EDIT: touched the page a bit, trying to clarify the other points. By the way, pretty much anyone is welcome to add info to the wiki pages, should something be found to be incorrect or missing! :)
Tinker

Postby Zazzlegut on Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:07 pm

Hey Tinker...thanks for clarifying that for me. That's pretty wild...two games in a row and I didn't realize that I only had one curse stack. I thought the game was messing with me. :-)
Zazzlegut

Postby Phoil on Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:11 am

The contents of the signpost dungeons are all done. I didn't have the willpower to do entrance views, since I'm still not sure of the value of them for signpost dungeons, but others are free to add them if they desire. Also someone creative can make up names :)

There's still 2 subdungeons in the repeatable section that seem like signpost dungeons, but which didn't fit the description of any that I encountered: Confession, and History of the Northern Empire. Can any veterans confirm the existence of these?
Phoil

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons