[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 390: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Wiki - finishing touches

Wiki - finishing touches

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Wiki - finishing touches

Postby Lujo on Tue May 31, 2016 12:40 am

Got the Priest up, will be a tiny bit controversial, but I've eased up on the jargon. The last two sections are leftovers, I need to write up the goblin, and there's a somewhat controversial section near tha beginning. I removed the fighter clutter.

Feedback appreaciated.

http://www.qcfdesign.com/wiki/DesktopDu ... tle=Priest

EDIT: I don't like how the priest page looks now, visually (and I wrote it :lol: ). Looks cluttered and textwally, need to figure out how to declutter it. The section about not fiddling with gods using a Priest has to be there, as that's one of the most valuable bits of advice you can give a newbie who's looking to get into the game - in fact, that's probably the main reason why someone would be looking at a Priest wiki page at all, besides trying to see if the PQI combos are "any good" and how to approach them. Past the whole interface, genre, visuals, basic movement stuff, the two biggest stumbling blocks are meleeing stuff with the Fighter, and trying out gods with the Priest. Those two tend to permanently screw up people's learning curves.

This usually makes the god learning curve end right away for a bunch of gods as folks decide they're not even worth bothering with if they'd screw up a "Priest" that badly. It's probably a reason why most folks never bother with gods at all, as stupid as that sounds. And that then's a reason why a bunch of folks never go from casual to vet - they could easily figure the gods out, gods aren't complicated, it's just that trying them with the Priest traumatizes people. You expect the Priest to be good for worshiping gods, or somehow all about worshiping gods, turns out he's not, but the conclusion most people draw is that worshiping gods is terribly difficult and dangerous rather than the correct one, which is that the Priest is exceptionally lousy at it. Just think about it - the Priest easily puts a player in the position to fear worshipping Glowing Guardian, and often all gods because of Glowing Guardian, wile Glowing Guardian is the god veteran players are most likely to ride through most of Vicious Gaan Telet because worshiping him is so effortless and he's so generally harmless and easy to not get punished by. Contemplate that for a bit.

But now the page has too much text to say; "This guy's a fighter who happens to be called a Priest, apparently because he hits undeads really hard. He's also really slanted towards the late game, so you gotta use glyphs to level him up properly. This makes the spellcastery races really good with him, and the melee friendly guys worse than you'd expect, and the halfling is just outrageous. Don't touch gods unless you know what you're doing, despite what he's called, and the same goes for goblins."
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby berpdreyfuss on Tue May 31, 2016 5:19 pm

Do you plan to write something for each god for each class? Then you could make compartements there as well. The God section should be where it is right now, after the races or even after the Items.

I liked the "what he's not about" part and if it is on this page I would put it back where it was before, after the "what he's about" part. Just keep it short and state that the priest doesn't have any innate ability that makes God-worshipping easier despite the name suggesting that it might be the case. I think that's enough and understandable for beginners.

I think you overstate the effect of the names, but that might be different for each person playing the game. The priest made perfect sense to me as an undead fighting class with very good healing powers, I never thought about the gods in connection with the priest. But, like I said, it's good to have it there so people don't fall into that trap.
berpdreyfuss

Postby Lujo on Tue May 31, 2016 5:58 pm

Lujo

Postby berpdreyfuss on Tue May 31, 2016 10:27 pm

berpdreyfuss

Postby Lujo on Tue May 31, 2016 10:46 pm

I'm sorry, I just found it really weird. I love the feedback, I'll take the section back up where it was, and trim it down considerably. It ought to just be a caveat, honestly, but it needs a bit of explaining for reasons. (Reason being that "Priest" means "Guy who worships gods for a living" so folks usually need a bit of confirmation that he's indeed not very good with most gods. It steers folks away from asking "Ok, but WHY did they call him "Priest" then?" and over to "Aha, so I'm not crazy, this guy really does suck with gods, what's he really about then?" which IS possible to explain :) ). Sorry about my manner. :(
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:27 am

I'll go through and edit all the pages over the weekend. The fact that the Priest has conflicts with many major deities is a legitimate point, I just think it needs to be phrased better.
Darvin

Postby Tinker on Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:03 am

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Darvin on Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:10 am

Darvin

Postby berpdreyfuss on Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:23 am

berpdreyfuss