[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Acceptability of Mods?

Acceptability of Mods?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Acceptability of Mods?

Postby Berzee on Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:11 pm

Oh hey there. I know there is no official mod support for Desktop Dungeons (it being a Unity game, I'm not surprised nor do I blame anyone for this =).

However, supposing (merely as a diverting thought experiment, you understand) that someone had by arcane arts succeeded with unexpected ease in several experiments such as upgrading the Bear Mace to have a silly 250% knockback, or doubling the piety gain that GG grants for manaburn/poison/undead kills/burnt offerings.

Would such a person be well advised to keep their thoughts to themselves? Or might they be safe at least to scribble their findings in a dusty tome, upon which some future adventurer may chance to stumble?

I would appreciate any thoughts on this matter, but especially dev thoughts. :)
Berzee

Re: Acceptability of Mods?

Postby Darvin on Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:19 pm

I, for one, would be quite interested in hearing from such an individual ;)
Darvin

Postby Blovski on Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:24 am

That individual would have Blovski's ear and gratitude.
Blovski

Postby Berzee on Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:19 pm

wow. very power. great responsible.

I was just working on (comparatively) smoothing out the stat-editing process a bit when suddenly Doges! :shock:
Berzee

Postby Lujo on Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:19 pm

Err, stat editing aside, you couldn't say, edit the number of item locker slots to be infinite somehow?
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby dislekcia on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:21 am

So, we're about to add leaderboards with the dailies. Stat editing is going to mean that those aren't going to be fair. Great.

Are we going to have to start up the obfuscator again? I really don't want to do some sort of cumulative value checksum on everything, that's at least another month of dev.
dislekcia

Postby Tinker on Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:19 am

I guess, as soon as you introduce any multiplayer element, if you want it to be an additional motivation for players to play the game, it's prudent to have some sort of solution to the very-very few people who would prefer to play the system (versus just playing the game). I'm sure Berzee is a good sport who just wants to mod, and would never consider hacking, but maybe there would be someone else who delves into the code for a different reason, who wouldn't start by coming to this forum to discuss it, but rather just do it.

That said, I for one don't care much for the leaderboards (though maybe I'm just saying that because there are guys here who will always be better than I am, I might change my mind if I get lucky with some of the challenges :) ).
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Astral on Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:39 am

I'm sure dailies are going to be so great that they will be enjoyable without the leaderboards too. I'm not saying I don't want leaderboards, just that if dailies came first then a proper leaderboard 1-2 months later, it would be fine by me.
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Darvin on Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:09 pm

Darvin

Postby dislekcia on Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:43 pm

dislekcia

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons