[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Acceptability of Mods?

Acceptability of Mods?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Acceptability of Mods?

Postby Darvin on Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:49 pm

Darvin

Postby sitnaltax on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:11 pm

It doesn't even take a map hack to gain knowledge of what the board will look like, of course; you can see what's where just by watching a video/looking at a screenshot/playing the map on a secondary account.

But that's fine. I'm not looking for fame here, I'm not going to try to go pro and get sponsored, and I don't suspect any of us are. If someone wants to cheat their way to to the top of the leaderboard a few times, we can probably just let it go. They'll be bored soon enough. If someone is obviously cheating and giving themselves scores a hundred times what's actually possible, well, those are easy ban targets without any fancy software required.
sitnaltax

Postby Sidestepper on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:42 pm

I think that Berzee is coming from a very good place here. His first post was to ask for an official response on this sort of thing.

Personally, modding is something that I have wanted for DTD more than anything else. Mods can keep a game fresh and the community active years after the the game has been released. It's QCF's creative product, and they can do with it what they will, but I felt a real pang of chagrin when I saw that the official response was along the lines of "we are actively going to spend resources that we can't afford to make stuff like this impossible."
Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:18 am

Meh, I've been in a bunch of modding communities, and commendably enough there's very few things I'd even think about modding in DD. Never much did get the point behind the clamor for it. Apart from one thing obv, but that wouldn't show on any leaderboards and someone will inevitably eventually mod/hack that.

Otherwise it's not really a game where I'd feel like going and making my life easier or even more varied by fiddling with stats on stuff. A win in a modded DD wouldn't feel right. I also have REALLY bad experiences with modders in general, because it usually takes a very flawed mindset to get into it enough to make proper changes, and so far my experience has been - "If there's a will to find a way to change something - it usually comes with enough of a lack of understanding of what can and what can't be tinkered with". I'm guessing it's because it's mostly done by programmers and not game designers, seen a lot of that sort of thing in the old Fallouts modding community. The last people on earth who should be anywhere near game design are usually the only people capable of modding. Eh.

I'd give a kidney for that one thing, though. But I'm a patient guy. Oddly enough.
Last edited by Lujo on Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby dislekcia on Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:22 am

dislekcia

Postby Lujo on Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:34 am

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Sidestepper on Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:23 am

Sidestepper