Did they nerf apothecary?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Did they nerf apothecary?

Postby twpe on Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:52 pm

I've sort of lurked for awhile now. So, Hello.

Anyhow, I've seen a lot of mention of getting 3-4 Schadenfreude potions on Elf Warlords. Is this no longer possible? I can only get one of each potion from the 3 potion shops (E.g. If I buy a Schadenfreude from one shop, the next one won't have one).
twpe

Re: Did they nerf apothecary?

Postby dislekcia on Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:44 pm

Yup, that was possible back in the early days of the beta. We decided that having that many of the custom potions was probably a little broken, so we made apothecaries have "shared stock" and only vend out one of each type of potion. If you want two of a specific potion, you're going to have to prep one through the witch and buy the other in-dungeon.
dislekcia

Postby Darvin on Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:46 pm

Yes, this used to be possible but isn't anymore.

edit: and ninja'd
Darvin

Postby twpe on Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:12 am

Alright thanks. That will help me factor in whether I like Gnome or Elf Warlords better.
twpe

Postby Astral on Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:34 am

Try both. Gnomes are better with JJ, and Elves rock under MA.
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby twpe on Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:47 pm

Yeah, the problem is that I always feel obligated to use JJ with the Gnome Warlord.

However, with the elf I can often get away with not preparing MA and still hit at least the 20 threshold without too much cost.
Yeah, I know that isn't ideal by itself (being able to cast 3 cydstepps at 24 is more ideal of course), but it just feels like the Elf could more easily pull off a purist run for example.

It totally makes sense that they would limit Schadenfreude potions though. That seems like it would heavily favor certain elf builds. That's why I was kind of shocked when I saw people mentioning buying 3-4 Schadenfreudes. It made me think twice. "Is that really possible?" "That can't be possible..." So, I ended up having to ask. Heh.
twpe

Postby Astral on Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:28 pm

Whether elves or gnomes are better purists highly depends on your playstsyle and prefernces. I swear by elves, others prefer gnomes. Either way it's worth playing both for the variety.

The 1st time I checked the wiki I was surprised too to see that multiple Schadenfreudes were possible to buy once.

Btw have you tried Warlords with a melee race and MA with a possible Elven Boots prep? You pretty much start out at the 2 Cydstepp barrier, and any item/god you add to the combo just makes you stronger.
Astral

Postby twpe on Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:24 pm

Well I do keep Elven Boots around. I usually try to find ways to not use orcs and humans on every class (because they already work for everything). I will try that though.
twpe

Postby Tinker on Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:29 am

For me the best Warlord is Orc! With Mystera's Mystic Balance + 3x Magic, CYDSTEPP can be re-cast twice, which affords 3 hits on even the toughest monsters. With the Orc's boosted damage (there's really no need to keep any other glyph on most maps) this means, very high level kills even on Vicious. Potion spike damage is even more brutal. Orc Warlord also works nicely with Binlor or JJ, can also do TEM with them, so they're almost as good as the Gnome (maybe even better on some maps) for Purist runs.

As alternatives, Gnome and Elf are both good, Gnome probably a bit better. For fun try Elf Warlord with Taurog, it's not intuitive but works surprisingly decently.
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Astral on Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:58 am

Orc Warlords of Binlor are so good, you are guaranteed to do lvl 1 bosskills with them on any map that has enough walls for the boons. Regardless of your bosses and other altars.
Astral

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons