Upcoming Expansion / Content Patch

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Upcoming Expansion / Content Patch

Postby Sidestepper on Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:47 pm

dislekcia wrote:I don't think we're going to be able to produce new dungeons, with Nandrew leaving I'm not 100% confident that I can properly follow in his shoes and make cool scenarios to play. We spoke about items, but right now there's nothing new confirmed that doesn't seem to just break everything, so I'm going to say it's just classes.

With absolutely no criticism intended, I am relieved to hear that there are no new items. Desktop Dungeons is a complicated matrix, and the complexity added isn't linear with the number of new items. Even a weak, inoffensive item changes things by crowding old ones out of the shop pool. I'm not going to say that the design space is full, but I think it's getting close.

New classes are great because they have well-contained effects on the rest of the game. It's too bad that there aren't plans for a new dungeon, but I get that resources are limited, and getting an expansion at all was already beyond my expectations.
Sidestepper

Postby dislekcia on Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:25 pm

Lujo wrote:Sure, at least we know you don't have or use a framework so that's something. We'll probably beat everything and anything with them, how do we know if they're performing to expectations?

So you've decided that we don't have ANY systems at all because we don't use yours. How illogical.

We'll know if they're "performing to expectations" because they're OUR expectations and that's our goddamn job.
dislekcia

Postby dislekcia on Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:27 pm

Sidestepper wrote:With absolutely no criticism intended, I am relieved to hear that there are no new items. Desktop Dungeons is a complicated matrix, and the complexity added isn't linear with the number of new items. Even a weak, inoffensive item changes things by crowding old ones out of the shop pool. I'm not going to say that the design space is full, but I think it's getting close.

Yeah, that was our feeling as well. Adding new items for the sake of having new stuff to add isn't the ethos of DD. There are a couple of class niches that we felt could be fun to explore, plus classes are - as you said - reasonably self-contained. We don't risk breaking everything else by adding a class instead of an item.
dislekcia

Postby Tinker on Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:59 pm

Is there any chance to tweak Stone Sigil - say, halve the gold cost, or double the CP value? That's probably the only item I never even remotely managed to properly leverage...
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby CoolBoy on Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:44 am

With this content patch, will the final 2 items in the Codex finally be revealed (or adjusted to the "true" value)? I'm still stuck at 112 of 114 and I've been everywhere and done everything I can think of.
CoolBoy

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons