[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - New Subdungeons? Would be interesting!

New Subdungeons? Would be interesting!

All things Desktop Dungeons

New Subdungeons? Would be interesting!

Postby Lujo on Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:50 pm

So, I've thought about what dislekcia said about classes being self-contained and not adding new items to the game in the expansion. And how there won't be new maps. But I've been playing all sorts of things on the new playthrough, and what I thought was - new subdungeons (and possibly new subdungeon non-lockerable items here and there) might actually be a great idea.

Reason I think that is that while there are quite a few subdungeons which serve as good outlets and rewards for underused and underapreciates stuff, there could be more. And it would also freshen up the game without disrupting anything (well, you can hardly go more impactful than a number of the current ones are, anyway).

So, here's some suggestions:

1) "Dodgy dodger's delight" - A 5X5 with a +10% dodge item. Large item, unlockerable, low conversion value. Rogue finds it - player overjoyed, but doesn't disrupt anything. Dwarf finds it - dwarf overjoyed, also doesn't disrupt anything. Doesn't have to be an item, but a slotless dodge buff is simply more powerful. If it is an item can have a dmg penalty or something.

2) Imawal outlet - "Unmovable object, eh?" - I know all the plant ones kinda serve as this, but I'd enjoy a subdungeon with a Miner bomb and a nigh-unkillable dude in it which you can only Imawal and then blast the statue with the mine. A cool thing, if workable would be if the guy was blocking the passageway and getting rid of the statue opened the way to something.

3) Dwarf outlet - "Power at a price" - A chance to trade 40 health for a +10% resist both. Everyone else will regret it, Dwarfs can do it.

4) "Experimental weapon" - 5X5 Bow and Arrow. One bow, one arrow. Two uses, each use deals 1 damage to the target and knocks it back for insignificant knockback. Unlockerable. For when you just need to prod stuff ^^ First use spends the arrow, then you're left with the bow, which you can obviously also throw at the enemy. "Standard issue set, one bow, one arrow".

5) Gnome Outlet - "Mana pool size envy" - trade 3 mana potions for 2 mana. Bad deal if you're not a gnome, for those times you really want that threshold.

6) Big Health Outlet - "Are you buff enough?" - if you have double the health you're supposed to have at your given level (meaning your base level health only), you get 2 strenght potions. Would be cool if overheal health also counted. EDIT: Would be REALLY cool, if if you don't have enough health you get handed a Bycepss, and if you DO have enough health, you get handed the str potions and the Bycepss (if you haven't got it allready) - to go show it off ^^ Would be a nice combination of this with the "Get in shape" idea below.

7) Elf & Dwarf Outlet - "Elvish Herbalist" - a subdungeon with an elf inside which you can activate to refresh topside blackspace around the subdungeon in some radius. The Dwarves loving kegs joke at their building does pay off, elves huffing herbs kinda goes nowhere, this should do the trick. Also work as both a trap and a payoff for guys who need their regen, bonus points if the subdungeon itself is fully revealed upon entry ^^

8) Goblin Outlet - "The Humbler" - Trade gold for a Humility. Always wondered how a random source of humility would work. If not humility, simply takes you down a level entirely, all stats included. The benefit is that you can ding two times for the same XP cost.

Anyone else has any ideas?

Even if these aren't any good, I'd say some new subdungeons in the mix, especially to prop up races without enough outlets would probably be a good thing. :) Names, flavor, numbers, all optional, ofc.
Last edited by Lujo on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Re: New Subdungeons? Would be interesting!

Postby Lujo on Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:27 pm

Not that I expect anything to come off it, but I keep coming up with these so here's some more:

- Unlockerable item, layout whatever, cost whatever - same thing as Fire Heart but gets charged every time you hit something and curses you EDIT: upon activation, possibly with a few layers of curse. Whether it recharges your mana, or health it'd still make cool Dwarf thing (and also a monk thing, but who cares, they're about as busted as they come anyway).

- "From Beyond" - A subdungeon with a 1X3 corridor surrounded by spikes/unreactive terrain on all sides which looks like it's fully revealed. There's only a Tea in there, which obv. gets you debuffed like a boss. However, just outside of the impassible terrain there are monsters you can wonnafyt to where you are, possibly blocking your way out unless you fight them.

Can go all sorts of ways, it's a riff on the "Teeth teeth teeth" place, but with a twist of summoning monsters "from the beyond", and a way to get yourself debuffed a bunch for the Cauldron. The "beyond" can also be revealed with Lemisi and B2P obv.

- Miners Pickaxe - layout whatever, unlockerable/lockerable whatever, it's a pick/axe which gives you +1 dmg and +1 mana, but heals you every time you cast Endiswal, Imawal or Byceps (and possibly activate "Might"). Looking for something that makes casting stuff other than Fireball or Pissorff during a fight more impactful.

- "Ye olde brokene Halpmeh" - subdungeon with a Halpmeh glyph which costs 3 mana to cast. All other details up in the air. "This glyph seems to have been broken. By the looks of it, you'd say a Monk did it."

- Imawal plug, details whatever - "Vandalism Inc." - A goblin berserker offers to smash all statues in the aboveground for you (or gives you something which does so upon activation). The subdungeon can have whatever else in it for a bit more universal value. Would also make a nice Binlor thing if it gave you a burst of piety with him.

- "Get in shape!" - a Dwaf hands you a Bycepss glyph in exchange for whatever. I'm kinda on the lookout for that thing lately but it seems to be far less available than the other stuff. It can even be an unconvertible / empty one, doesn't matter.

- "The device that goes "DING!"" - once per level you may get 2 gold out of the device that goes "Ding!". Or it "fogs up" the subdungeon or something, for those guys who love their exploration like Dwarves and Elves.

- "The healthmonster" - The healthmonster can give you "the treatment" for 20 gold (or whatever) and overheal you. If the healthmonster is a meat man, the deal can be that he lowers your damage.

- "Altar of Indulgence" - you can smash it for a paltry ammount of piety and an indulgence. Game really could use a smidge more indulgences around the place, they're cool.

- "The divine dealmaker" - buy an indulgence with money! Just like in the renaissance! XD

- "The accursed cursed idol of many curses" - a subdungeon with something you can activate and a pacifist priest. If you activate whatever (the idol), you start getting cursed as if you're worshiping JJ with no upsides whatsoever. You can get rid of this by either taking the Petition from JJ, or paying 45 piety to the priest and gaining the "Petition" trait and possibly some sort of reward for the ordeal.

---

EDIT:

Oh, oh, and I got one more riff on the "From Beyond" concept. "Rats in the Walls". Could be a cool way to get a bunch of Ratlings into the base dungeons, a reference to H. P. Lovecraft ^^ Small subdungeon with walled off Ratlings in the dark (behind either breakable or unbreakable walls, depending on how hard it's supposed to be to access them).

And a few more, because while I'm not necessarily good at it, I find it fun:

- "A basement dwelling troll" - it's a troll dwelling in a basement. Retaliate: Fireball and curse optional ^^

- "Why did it have to be snakes?" - a corridor-like subdungeon much, much smaller in size than Zombie Gold. If you take whatever the treasure is, a bunch of lvl1 Naga's with first strike and DP appear between you and the exit.

- "Run through the jungle" - Basically the same thing as the Binlor unlock subdungeon except with the forest layout simmilar to the EM floor in Gaan'Telet. What you find in there can be anything. Would make good Binlor farming fodder on those maps which are light on walls.
Lujo

Postby Astral on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:35 pm

I'd like more subs with glyphs to make Less Glyphs a more reliable prep, and because it's fun having glyphs :P

1) A subdungeon with Double Doom tiles shaped into a screaming gorgon's head. The face is revealed, the hair is covered. A lvl5 gorgon stands in the way of the blackspace with 105% deathgaze. When you kill it, she drops a full CP Apheelsik, but also activates the 4 lvl 7 revenants who were hidden and standing on the tip of the hair to act as the snake heads.
Would be a sizable ~ 13x13 sub, but the majority of it would be revealed/unreachable.

2) The Glyph Market
It's a small sub with 3 glyph shops (palette swaps, sign is purple or blue), selling 3 random glyphs. One has full CP, the 2nd 50%, the 3rd 0. They are priced according to their CP.
Could have an NPC trying to obnoxiously sell all of them by giving very niche or silly tips on usage.

3) Arm Wrestling Champion
'Champ' a Dwarf Fighter NPC offers to buy you a drink if you manage to beat him in 'Arm Wrestling' (have to regenfight him in a separate place like in hitball, has moderately high attack, 50% both resist). A 'Skinny Guy' named Elf Thief NPC offers you some help for a some shiny. Sells Bysseps for 20 gold. If you beat the Dwarf he gives you a Health Keg.

4) Glenrick
You all know how he asks you not to kill him early for the bonus xp? So, what if you fought him 'honorably' with same or higher level, and as a reward he dropped his own Cydstep glyph? Which as a joke would cost 15 mana :D
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Tinker on Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:57 am

What I could imagine thematically would be that after a certain amount of desecrations of a given deity's altar (or, maybe, after a given number of converting-out-then-desecrating), you'd randomly encounter a sub with the current champion of the deity looking to settle a score with the kingdom for the blasphemous activities of its adventurers.
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Darvin on Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:06 am

Still waiting for a Packmaster subdungeon. ;)
Darvin

Postby Astral on Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:51 am

Yeah that sounds awesome Tinker!

Darvin, what is the Packmaster sub?
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Lujo on Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:41 am

I'll let Darvin explaing that one and then fill in the blanks :) And there IS one - the Venus Patrol guys are trying to repair their "Packmaster" altar, which is why you get so many green seals :)
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:35 pm

Darvin

Postby Tinker on Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:39 pm

Guys,
I just found a new sub today that I've never seen before. I'm playing in the browser so there may have been some game tweak. Wiki doesn't list it. It was my regular sub in (regular) Halls of Steel. Is this something new?

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Darvin on Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:10 pm

It's a very rare subdungeon, but it's not new
Darvin

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons