[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 390: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - *SPOILERS* Dailies Thread

*SPOILERS* Dailies Thread

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: *SPOILERS* Dailies Thread

Postby fall_ark on Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:04 am

I reviewed my run a bit and it seemed that Binlor might be the reason I survived the run:
fall_ark

Postby Tinker on Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:38 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Magic Rabbit on Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:09 pm

etis atis animatis
Magic Rabbit

Postby ~'(^ + ^)'~ on Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:17 pm

~'(^ + ^)'~

Postby Magic Rabbit on Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:26 pm

etis atis animatis
Magic Rabbit

Postby Bwrgarbl on Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:40 pm

I remember there being a wall of corrosive plants up there between me and finding SMM early. They encouraged me to turn around and explore elsewhere. So I eventually got to SMM from behind. I was a little bit late in finding BURNDAYRAZ (certainly relative to SMM and altars)... again, it was a matter of making choices that involved choosing directions to poke though plants and walls that weren't the exact right one. It's not like these things couldn't have been there instead.

Yendor is, of course, the Great Solver of Problems. I would have easily won with it, because I was quite close on SMM at the end (really, any number of smaller things would probably have been enough, but I kept getting distracted by things outside the game). It wasn't really a bad run, it's just a bit dangerous if you go in blind, because the RNG might get you.
Bwrgarbl

Postby ~'(^ + ^)'~ on Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:57 pm

Whew, glad it's over! And glad that I did not try to be brave and skip the preps that would give Yendor. Today's daily is really that hard, I would seriously respect anyone who can do it Purist!

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... D3C8C8D56/

A little bit (3XP) off Vemb's top XP score, did manage to get top piety though. It's quite a weird combination today, using Balanced Dagger and Imawal to slowly level up. The end was quite "scary", one miscalculation would have ended my run. And I got lucky too with the Last Chance (at 13 piety) with JJ, allowed me to finish 1 last L8 mob.

[Anyway, about fall_ark's approach of prepping Binlor, I did think of it but decided against it. Binlor is normally good for Gorgon but not that useful in this map, lack of walls, too many plants. Well, Imawal allows making of walls from plants but I wouldn't have known beforehand. Also, you start in Binlor, you won't be able to benefit much, even if you manage to get some boons, it will be hard to get enough piety to avoid his punishment when you level up and also to convert out of him. Overall, very risky playing Binlor especially when you are that weak and wouldn't want to lose your physical resists from getting punished by him]
~'(^ + ^)'~

Postby Magic Rabbit on Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:18 pm

etis atis animatis
Magic Rabbit

Postby Tinker on Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:20 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Bwrgarbl on Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:48 pm

Oh it didn't intimidate me... it's just that there were plenty to choose that were easier, and when they ran thin, I'd choose a different area that seemed warded off. There's no shortage of those in the swamp, it's impossible to tell which one really is where I truly ought to be. I was certainly going to such spots... just not in the best order. I'm not going to fall for sunken cost or gambler's fallacies and push on in directions just because I moved that direction or think that an area is somehow "due". I push through obstacles when there's a reason too, and choose places to explore that have higher probability. There just wasn't a reason to go there over anywhere else.

And although SMM seems to always be hiding in exactly the last place, I'm not going to assume that he somehow knows and try to second guess him. He'd probably also know that I was searching the last place first and then go hide in the first place. :P
Bwrgarbl

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons