[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - *SPOILERS* Dailies Thread

*SPOILERS* Dailies Thread

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: *SPOILERS* Dailies Thread

Postby shade_of_ox on Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:35 am

That's fair enough. I guess this design decision came from that the game is part roguelike (where deaths happen quickly and often), so they didn't want to handhold the player too much if that makes sense. It is definitely frustrating, though.
shade_of_ox

Postby srid on Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:13 pm

I must say that I almost never misclick now that I changed the attack button to be right click.
Plus the screen flashes red when you mouse over something that might kill you.

But I don't disagree that adding a panel that asks for confirmation when you click yourself to death could be a nice addition for such cases. Actually the game Dungeon Ascendance, which is a small mobile game inspired from DD does exactly that.

@shade_of_ox, I partly agree with you about streaks, but since the game keeps track of your highest streak there IS an incentive in the game to try getting the highest possible one.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
srid

Postby Xenagie on Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:43 am

Xenagie

Postby srid on Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:54 pm

We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

srid

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:53 pm

The Avatar

Postby AvovA17 on Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:17 pm

AvovA17

Postby srid on Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:27 pm

I believe the actual record is more than 300 streak, so I agree that if you are ready to spoil yourself the maps that are practically unwinnable, it should be feasible to reach a 1000. Yet, we recently had a Grimm Grotto which would have been literally unwinnable without the Slayer Wand prep. Nothing says that a similar map without the Slayer Wand to save us all will not eventually come up.

There is also the fact that some players consider foreknowledge as cheating (which I totally respect) and will be really annoyed by getting an practically unwinnable map killing their streaks. They tend to be even more disappointed by the fact that this unwinnable map generally involves a GoatPerson and a Labyrinth, combination which could have been willingly excluded by the devs.

That being said, I don't play dailies much myself, I mostly try those with a high death rate when I have the time, and do chose to spoil myself with foreknowledge when no one has beaten them just to see if they are practically winnable or not. However if I did I think that my favourite metric would probably be the success rate over the longest streak. Arguably the longest streak is the longest sequence with 100% success rate, so it is correlated, except that the success rate does not count the days where you just can't play.

PS: I really doubt that all GoatPerson VGT + VT layouts are literally winnable. If that were true then the most lucky ones would have been enough for someone to pull it off, and we're far from it. Not even half of the classes have beaten VGT + VT so far, I believe.

srid

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:32 am

The Avatar

Postby William on Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:08 pm

It is interesting that Goatperson, and not Rat Monarch, is the benchmark for VGT + VT. ;)
"Because Goatperson"
William

Postby AvovA17 on Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:05 pm

AvovA17

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons