[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - *SPOILERS* Dailies Thread

*SPOILERS* Dailies Thread

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Dailies Thread

Postby lieronet on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:19 am

Yeah today's really smells of design, really felt like the deck was stacked against you. Still won, but it took forever because I have not played much Vampire and really needed to think every move through. I usually peter out on DD once I get him, was fun running him up against that particular dungeon.

BONERS is me, didn't realize that was going to be my display name >_< Devs please help me out here!
lieronet

Postby Tinker on Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:18 am

I must say that it was not entirely clear what the non-descript little text entry field stands for. I thought about writing there something different, but then reconsidered and ended up writing my nick, just in case. Was the lucky move.

Today's challenge was really fun, I was first like "wtf?" then I was like "no, f**k", and then I was like, "oh you sneaky b*****d". Won it quite easily, but I guess that's just because I play _very_ _slowly_, and try not to jump to conclusions. (Actually I forgot about it and let it run today while I had breakfast, but it's only 10-15 mins or so, the rest is just the whole me being slow thing.)

Now, without giving away any spoilers... I think that the devs are channeling artistic pain into these challenges. Some of the combinations/situations made me think two things... 1) Devs "talk about" things in their challenges that they want to express. Like, I felt in today's challenge that the Devs are making a certain point about a certain thing that was part of something recently. (Ok, hard to be more clear without spoilers, but I'm sure you'll guess.). 2) I think we're just scratching the surface in terms of difficulty. Especially since the maps seem to be hand-made (or at least customized), there is another aspect to the challenge - even a straightforward run can become much harder by the equivalent of RNG screw-up (except in this case, it's dev screw-over instead :) ). The only way winning streak becomes meaningful is if there are maps even veterans will likely fail. My joke about taking down Naga City with a Spoon or Blue Bead may turn out to be not-so-funny after a while :)
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby flap on Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:51 am

flap

Postby Astral on Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:19 pm

I didn't know what was the text entry field for either, and my first guess was that it's a field for password, since dailies are not fully finished and only devs should reach it. Yeah, this assumption is very silly, but I didn't read the topic just clicked on the link in excitement.
It was surprising that the 'password' was goat, and I didn't have to try anything complicated. After the run I realized my huge fail :D
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Tinker on Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:41 pm

Last edited by Tinker on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinker

Postby Astral on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:18 pm

Yep, I'm wearing a hum... - I mean goat mask :)

Nice use of KB btw, you've beat me in piety today! And judging by your XP you didn't save one of your bosses for bloodcow, right?
Astral

Postby Tinker on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:29 pm

Tinker

Postby Lujo on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:31 pm

^ There's a ton of sneaky stuff in today's daily, and unfortunately I remembered all of them only afterwards (facepalm).

And yeah, I'd love to discuss dailies but it's not even culture or anything - if I knew a few things beforehand I would've played it a lot differently. It's kinda painful in this particular challenge. I mean, there's a reason scout:stuff preps were overused back when they existed.

So idk, the way we are about stuff ussually we'd probably disect it into tiny bits all the way calling the "get every last bit of everything out and if somethings nailed to the floor that's just freebie nails to go with thatver that is" the optimal way to do it. Would've probably doubled/tripled all my numbers and reduced the time :lol:
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby flap on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:34 pm

Which would have been fun too.
flap

Postby Astral on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:37 pm

Today's daily was excellent in design. These kinds of Vamp runs are my favorites. Even one of the glyphs were fantastic too.
Astral

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons