[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - *SPOILERS* Dailies Thread

*SPOILERS* Dailies Thread

All things Desktop Dungeons

*SPOILERS* Dailies Thread

Postby Lujo on Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:30 am

We have a whole build thread, and if anything else is added (like the Rat and stuff) there'll be plenty to post about there including bugs.

So I guess we could use the Dailies thread. For whatever reason, not like everyone'd want to share strats.

- For today - Human Tinker in CO

I went with a rather messy "winging it" approach which added up to double to the time. Considering the previous one was done by some dude in about 3 minutes, I suppose anyone looking to beat that statistic is gonna have to shoot for times like that. I don't think I'll be competing in that category. I rather take my time somewhat. XD

If I'd gone for what I ussually do there, I wasn't sure it would save enough time to beat someone like that, but it would suck in any other category unless I did post-boss mopup which then wouldn't beat the inevitable "screw everything speedrun it" guy and I'd end up nowhere.

What do you guys think about the whole setup?
Last edited by Lujo on Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Re: Dailies Thread

Postby Tinker on Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:34 am

What I'm wondering is just how random each map is?

i.e. do we have the same shop items? same altars (except prep)? same monsters? what about the layout?
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby flap on Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:46 am

I would think that we have exactly the same map. Hence the fact that we can only play once.

I know that, but I am really slower than most you guys...
What surprises me, is that even though I wiped every monster out, I dealt far less damages than any one else. I probably don't regenfight / erode / stack monster debufs as much as high level player do.

Also, maybe similar to Lujo, I am not sure that the info we get are really sufficient, and I don't know how much it reflects the player's skill.
Maybe would it be nice if we could see the end screen of other players (but that would be more data to store and transfer). Or have a column displaying the number of badges we earned in the dungeon (Actually, thinking of, I quite like that idea. I'll make a separate thread for that)
flap

Postby Lujo on Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:27 am

Eh, I'm really not sure badges reflect the player skill as much as leaning on features that allow you to ignore other features. Not that any set of stuff isn't arbitratry, but number of badges is probably terrible. Just think about it - if you could get all of them somehow - what exactly would the gameplay consist of? XD

I was actually very relieved when I saw that badges weren't part of the scoreboard. I like using features, and they would just take a bunch of features off the board (and time kinda allready does that which is why I'm not all that keen to compete in that category). Still - another reason I decided to avoid time is that it's a high-risk approach inviting missclicks and actually failing (and also failing at the one stat you're looking to do if you don't end up killing the boss and have to switch it up). I don't think I'll ever consistently top the charts in any of the current categories (once people get into it properly certainly), but I'm kinda confident I'll always be pretty high, and I'm sure I won't drop a map ^^
Last edited by Lujo on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lujo

Postby caviar on Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:48 am

Last edited by caviar on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
caviar

Postby Lujo on Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:59 am

There's a very easy way to compare them without giving too much away to the guys who do the challenge later (if we give too much away the guys trying to cheeze time will be able to get their stuff done much faster - The only reason I didn't go PoS was because I wasn't sure enough stuff for it was there, othrwise I'd have done it just to see what the PoS score looks like and how resilient the scoring setup is against it. Apologize to everyone having to endure my PoS related whining, but with this more competitive mode looming I was getting really annoyed with it because it posed a potential problem there).

What was the subdungeon? If everyone got Lekon, we were probably all playing the same map. And that's kinda the only way this whole thing makes any sense, btw.

---

Also, about the scoring - I still have to see the end of the day results (yesterday's ones swung quite a bit by the end of the day), but my ranking was pretty consistent regardless of what tab you clicked on ^^ And whatever tab you clicked on whoever was higher was at least 2:2 overall, or even 1:3. So I suppose I'm the Mario XD (If I can keep it up). Darvin had me beat at 3:1, though, cuuuuuurses! :lol:
Last edited by Lujo on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lujo

Postby flap on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:09 am

I got Lekon. (and other stuffs which I edited out)
Last edited by flap on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
flap

Postby Tinker on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:10 am

That's pretty much what I had. Ok, so probably everything is the same except as modified by your preps. (I also wanted to post a description, but I wanted to wait for until the day is over, not to detract from other players' excitement of exploration.)

I'm conscious of my own skill level, and I'm happy if I can win the challenges without 1) misclicking myself to death, or 2) making some mistake that costs me the run. So I'm not even looking at any of the metrics, especially not speed (me and my vintage netbook contribute equally to my generally abysmal run times). Plus I'm not really into pissing contests, and even if I were (duh), I'd figure that for a running streak you need consistent performance not heroics, I'll be just glad if I can deliver that once the tougher challenges start appearing... (hmm, what do you want to bring to Naga City playing your otherwise purist Goblin Monk? Spoon or Blue Bead?)
Last edited by Tinker on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Lujo on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:15 am

Yep, it's the same map. However, giving stuff like EDIT: The secret sub away just solves it for the speedrun guys. Possibly also for the XP chasers. Would it be possible that we agree to discuss a challenge one day later?

As for Tinker - yeah, except you're not noob at all, time's the only stat that you don't score way up there with. I actually wondered how much that had to do with your hardware and how much with your approach (I was interested because of all the discussions we've had lately).

Also - I'm not sure Vicious stuff will even appear. Yesterday we had kinda bottom of the barrel easy thing (kill the Wraith with a fighter, one guy did it in three minutes, without preps), today we had the dreaded CO with a kinda low prep Tinker. I think that might be the upper end of it.
Last edited by Lujo on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lujo

Postby flap on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:22 am

flap

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons