[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 390: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - *SPOILERS* Dailies Thread

*SPOILERS* Dailies Thread

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: *SPOILERS* Dailies Thread

Postby Bwrgarbl on Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:48 am

Bwrgarbl

Postby choongmyoung on Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:14 pm

Theoretically death gaze or knockback applies after a normal combat order, so, if that doesn't care about one dies, yeah...
Btw, one interesting phenomenon is when you have deathgaze + knockback, and the monster have death protection and blink. In this case, things happen in this order: deathgaze → blink → my attack → monster's attack → knockback (if I'm guessing right). So the monster is knocked back even if it's far from me, and it can break wall. Extreme case.
choongmyoung

Postby Bwrgarbl on Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:44 am

Well, theoretically, death gaze and knock back should be on opposite ends of the combat order. Death gaze up front, and knock back at the end. Death gaze at the very end of the combat order is problematic... it means that you need to be at high enough HP to avoid it after damage has been dealt. That's too complicated, and makes it much more powerful.

* Gorgon in Grim Grotto *

I'm surprised so many people aren't grabbing Whurrgarbl... it's so good for Gorgons, because it extends their poison and increases their damage. Plus, you can do cute tricks with it, like pop the stack by attacking popcorn so that the monster you're regen fighting gets into death gaze instant kill range. Extra health markers is also a good idea, this is a 140% dungeon. Thought about bringing in the Slayer Wand... then remembered that it doesn't help Gorgon's clear paths, because they still petrify the target. So I brought in Earthmother, just for some health and XP (the savings on blackspace were well invested in regen fighting the boss). The Slayer Wand can't really compare for XP, and that seems to be its best use today.

Bwrgarbl

Postby AvovA17 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:19 pm

AvovA17

Postby Bwrgarbl on Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:26 pm

* Half-Dragon in Shifting Passages *

Easy daily, one of my favourite classes, easy boss, and with a JJ prep even. Didn't do anything fancy at all (in fact it was less fancy than usual). But then this happened:

In my experience, that's been inescapable. You only get a couple shots and then you're done... so I'm currently waiting hoping that somehow, something will change and make things work.
Bwrgarbl

Postby AvovA17 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:52 pm

So what happened exactly? Did you get stuck behind some monster cause of new walls forming, and had to call last chance from JJ?

DD really needs replays. I guess it will be solved in the open-source version 40 years from now.
AvovA17

Postby Bwrgarbl on Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:16 pm

Oh, I got out with a victory (and the last call worked (not surprising as I had just desecrated all the other altars to max out my piety), I got out with full bars, nothing alive, and very few walls generated)... it's the "Error" and "Upload" buttons in the lower right that I'm "trapped behind" now.
Bwrgarbl

Postby AvovA17 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:21 pm

Oh, yeah. Network errors are annoying. At least this one is tolerable to some extent: keep pressing upload until it work.
If this happens at the preparations screen, you are screwed.

The network code in DD is really not fault-tolerant.
AvovA17

Postby Bwrgarbl on Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:16 pm

The thing is that I only get a couple attempts before it stops letting me try and just ends things. And in the past, that's what's always happened.

But this time, after 6 hours and what might have been my last chance, it actually worked.

EDIT: And it looks like this was the high XP of the day, so it's good that it submitted. Although, it really shows that no one was really interested in maximizing that run that day. It was very atypical of me... I was doing lots of level+2 kills (which tend to be more trouble than they're worth), because they were available and level+1 and level+3 weren't. Which creates a feedback loop... killing level+2 monsters eventually means that you've killed most (or all) of the level+1 monsters once you're one level higher. Shifting Passages is a lesson in feed back itself with wall creation... if you let it create walls once or twice, you end up losing places to block walls that results in a lot more walls being created.
Bwrgarbl

Postby AvovA17 on Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:31 am

* Warlord in Havendale Bridge *

Ouch, I almost died today. No, the dungeons itself was easy (monster & glyph placement were a bit funny, and I could not find the bosses until I almost run out of blackspace, but whatever).

I decided to change the music volume, and accidentally toggled "fullscreen" mode into windowed.
AAAAAA, after I toggle it back, the screen is all borked. Luckily I was able to click, and figure out that doing that presses buttons in the menu. I was able to switch it back to windowed mode that works fine, and finished the dungeon.

The only way for me to have fullscreen work is to have this in ~/.config/unity3d/QCF\ Design/Desktop\ Dungeons/prefs:
<pref name="Screenmanager Is Fullscreen mode" type="int">1</pref>
<pref name="Screenmanager Resolution Height" type="int">1080</pref>
<pref name="Screenmanager Resolution Width" type="int">1920</pref>
AvovA17

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons