[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 390: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - *SPOILERS* Dailies Thread

*SPOILERS* Dailies Thread

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: *SPOILERS* Dailies Thread

Postby Probag on Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:08 am

Doesn't look like prepping Taurog is very popular...but I find him insanely useful in Halls of Steel because of the extra magic resist and piety for magic kills. Especially today when you pretty much get to start the boss armor at level 5 and regen fight like a madman.
Probag

Postby Bwrgarbl on Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:01 am

Bwrgarbl

Postby Probag on Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:40 am

Oh I see. So it's the safer option. I'm not sure why I thought everyone is just gunning for fastest, haha. I tend to underestimate some of the items like Fire Heart when gunning for time. I also missed that the boots give you magic resist too :o Didn't feel the piety burn because I converted Byseps after using reaching max stacks and then worshiping Taurog, though.
Probag

Postby General_Milky on Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:49 am

Taurog's also just got this stigma of being the noob god. A crutch. Because he's mildly powerful and extremely easy to use, especially for beginners just starting to wrap their head around gods, but ultimately takes away mana and inventory space for some rather mundane effects, a heavy cost IN ADDITION to the piety that could be spent elsewhere. One of the first lessons you learn going from an alright, to good player, is that Glowing Guardian, Binlor, Pactmaker, and Dracul are the super effective dieties that win vicious maps, so the likes of Taurog take a backseat on god play strategy despite still having some very useful application with some creativity and budgeting.
General_Milky

Postby Bwrgarbl on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:24 am

Actually, the other gods dominate Taurog in the hard maps (which is where the dailies mostly are). Once you get into vicious and vicious token Taurog starts to come back in (and Pactmaker too)... very good for piety farming to feed another god or Pactmaker, resistances become more critical, and the death protection chain becomes a key game winning tool with the way most bosses hit for tonnes. But at the hard level, resistances aren't so important and it's easy to take hits from the bosses... so Taurog often never gets used. Of course, when Goblin comes up in dailies, Taurog becomes key if you want to ramp up your XP (so much CP in those items).

Note that Taurog isn't really special on easy or normal maps either... it's just that any leverage there works to bulldoze the map and thus everything seems great. So Taurog is actually more of a late game god than a noob one... very useful for late game play, but you need to know how he fits into the big strategy. With vicious + VT, you need to think about how you can use everything available, including a Taurog altar... with lower levels, you can typically ignore a lot of things safely.
Bwrgarbl

Postby General_Milky on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:06 pm

I'm more talking about psychology than actual use. Taurog's one of the beginning gods that have relatively lax, and easy to understand mechanics, and is very often favored by new players. Later on they learn the use of the others and Taurog kind of falls off as something that the learning player no longer needs to hold themselves down on. He becomes "boring" or "cheap" or some other reasoning to justify experimentation.

Kinda like Balanced Dagger. A newbie favorite, eventually gets shunned for a developing player to look at other preps and learn how to play effectively without it, but then may later on come back to appreciate it once more.
General_Milky

Postby Probag on Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:57 am

For maps with only one boss or that lend themselves to Taurog being useful for speeding through, hands down I'll pick it every time. He's a death sentence for your runs on a lot of maps, but like nearly every item/god, he has his place.
Probag

Postby Bwrgarbl on Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:16 pm

Bwrgarbl

Postby The Tapir on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:37 pm

What could be so hard about a run in Northern Desert, right? Prepped patches and got myself teleported into one of the empty holes in the wall after having spent both my transmutation scrolls. Had I bothered to pick up the Weytwut glyph sitting 3 tiles away before leveling I would have been fine...
The Tapir

Postby Bwrgarbl on Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:07 am

Looks like my XP and piety held up on that Elf Chemist run.

* Orc Priest in Hex Ruins *

Big zombies abound today, so the priest has a great time. Yendor prep just adds to all the twinkiness today:

Bwrgarbl

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons