*SPOILERS* Dailies Thread

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: *SPOILERS* Dailies Thread

Postby rambert iv on Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:59 pm

The Vampire early and mid-game was not very smooth. No good bloodcows, a bunch of undead. But in the end the real power of the Vampire came to the surface and i could finish the boss without tapping into the bloodpools.

Today's challenge was very easy, goblin thief in den of danger, but i wonder how people managed to deal more then 3000 damage in this dungeon... Buying monsters in that subdungeon? a lot of regen-fighting?
rambert iv

Postby AvovA17 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:24 pm

rambert iv wrote:The Vampire early and mid-game was not very smooth. No good bloodcows, a bunch of undead.

You should have explored more. You can easily lose if you do not have bloodcows. It is way better to have almost 0 blackspace left, than to have no bloodcows.
AvovA17

Postby AvovA17 on Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:20 pm

* Human Thief in Shifting Passages *

rambert iv, how did you die?

Spoiler: show
The glyphs were hiding from me for a long time,
but once I found ENDISWAL, I joined EM. A few shots of Vine Form and Greenblood, and that
130% difficulty is gone just like that. It felt like an easy dungeon after that.

I killed Evolvia first this time, and then before the final boss I got a bunch of Vine forms so that I could take a hit from him.
AvovA17

Postby rambert iv on Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:26 pm

I wasn't doing that bad actually. Got killed by an unexpected "Retaliate:Fireball"...

Again...

I'm too much used to throwing fireballs at will that i often die while ferociously fireballing a retaliating monster.
rambert iv

Postby Bwrgarbl on Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:56 pm

See, when I take something like Witchalok Pendant BURNDAYRAZ hides and I get almost no use from it (should have taken Conjunction). I used it on the random boss and to soften a level 8 Wraith that was blocking an alcove that Evolvia might have teleported into (also got some resistance for the first attack on Evolvia from doing that). I specialized Evolvia with melee... 80% resist? Phhht, hit you and you're in first strike range.

Also, that bug a few days ago didn't cost me the win from the day before. I have a streak with a hole in it.

PS: That 503XP on the Den of Danger that got me the top spot by a mile. That's actually not that close to the max... there was a bunch of XP I caught myself missing, one of the matches in the subdungeon I didn't have an XP boost on and there were a few monsters I didn't kill while slowed. Money could have been spent better and probably got me another XP boost. And, of course, I didn't bother with doing the optimal kill chain. I could probably have gotten over 3000 damage if I wanted to, by hitting things I don't intent to kill (regen-failing) while exploring, actually doing some regen-fighting early, and running up plants (didn't do a plantation, which would have gotten me much more piety too).
Bwrgarbl

Postby AvovA17 on Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:32 pm

PS: That 503XP on the Den of Danger that got me the top spot by a mile. That's actually not that close to the max...

For sure. I got 431, and I did not even use the subs (completely forgot about them).

But I think 82 XP from peperc is more impressive. Low XP is a more impressive achievement than top XP, imho.
AvovA17

Postby Bwrgarbl on Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:26 am

AvovA17 wrote:

But I think 82 XP from peperc is more impressive. Low XP is a more impressive achievement than top XP, imho.

It depends on the map. That 82 might as well have been 182. Den of Danger with Binlor, Earthmother, and IMAWAL around the start? Your score should be 74 if you're doing the Tinker "free the minions from their master", or 69 if your forced to take any XP or are just going for the absolute minimum (as JJ and Dracul weren't there). More than that is a fail. On some maps the tools aren't there and finding low XP becomes a game... but that's not that map. That map was as much set up for a level 1 boss kill as Rat + Mace with CYDSTEPP by the stairs.

When Goblin shows up though... that's when you get the really interesting high XP games. Shame Taurog wasn't around... that's always fun with Goblin high-XP runs. JJ too... it can be really hard to get CA right, I normally end up missing. As it was, Good Glenrick was there and with everything at the start, I got to do the XP boost there, and I normally miss that one way or the other. Once I did that, I was going big the whole way.
Bwrgarbl

Postby AvovA17 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:36 am

* Half-Dragon In the Labyrinth *

Binlor and MA both available in the preps, what more do you need?

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/970984345436418158/9F80E336A6202880FEEA9C665568A7D25E3CD51F/
AvovA17

Postby Bwrgarbl on Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:17 am

AvovA17 wrote:* Half-Dragon In the Labyrinth *

Binlor and MA both available in the preps, what more do you need?

Bah... Binlor's all you need. Open concept labyrinths for the win. Half-Dragon already supplies the magic damage. Taking MA is just wasting the chance of a better god.

And the default gods with just Binlor prepped were GG and TT... a little Ascendance and HP early on, and there's nothing like a Reflex potion with insane knock back. Especially one that's also a free hit.
Bwrgarbl

Postby AvovA17 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:37 am

Bwrgarbl wrote:Bah... Binlor's all you need. Open concept labyrinths for the win. Half-Dragon already supplies the magic damage. Taking MA is just wasting the chance of a better god.

Exactly, I take no chances :) It could be a better god, or a worse god.

I was not going for top XP or top piety or whatever, just for the most comfortable win. Got feeling parched in the end, nice margin of safety.

Binlor gives you good hp refills, while MA gives good mana refills (2 extra glyphs from Binlor!), it is a very balanced combo. The other gods could have been TT + Taurog (happened before in a DERP). With MA + Binlor I can be sure I can deal with any boss.

I could have stayed in Binlor for the last boss, but I switched to MA so that I could kill him with magic only (I hate misclicks).
Last edited by AvovA17 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AvovA17

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons