[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - [suggestion] Badge earned number on leader board

[suggestion] Badge earned number on leader board

All things Desktop Dungeons

[suggestion] Badge earned number on leader board

Postby flap on Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:54 am

Hello, I like very much comparing myself to other veterans on the leader board. However, I am not sure how well the figures reflect the player's skill (well, obviously, I am much slower and deal far less damages than others. So there must be something there).

An interresting data to display on the leaderboard would be the number of badges earned in the run (maybe with the possibility to get a list, when hovering the entry). Now there would something to compete for...

Edit : there also be another column on the "Overall" board giving the number of badges earned in the streak.

Edit 2 : Lujo advocated against it there : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3253#p32821
His point is that it would cut players from interesting features, and not reflect that much.
flap

Re: [suggestion] Badge earned number on leader board

Postby Darvin on Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:52 pm

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:06 pm

^ It IS a pseudo unstoppable, though.

While I'm very opposed to badges as an indicator of prowess (they indicate feature power more than anything and chasing them leads to strange results, really), the problem with these stats is that they can all kinda be jacked.

Piety, for example is pretty silly. I'm currently topping that today (maybe, I had a good spread on the next guy), but if you knew how that happened you'd kick me in the pants. Effort to effect ratio while getting it - nothing whatsoever. (Lol, whoever goat is almost doubled me. Yep, silly, silly stat).

But ratios - how much did you comparatively give up in any of these, that is VERY interesting. How much did topping or being high in one of them cost you in others, that sort of thing.

---

Having A badge be part of the challenge, like a single one to give it flavor PQI style, that could be interesting, having folks chase multiples... not so good.
Last edited by Lujo on Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Astral on Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:12 pm

Damage is totally meaningless. It drives up if you regenfight, cut plants or kill many popcorn when you've far overleveled them.

Frankly, none of the scores are worth competing about. Piety gained highly depends on your god combos, so it's highly luck and prep influenced.

Bonus xp depends on your style (regenfighters are fine without it), also luck dependent - how do you explore the map.
Same goes for completion time.

As far as I'm concerned your collected badges could be shown too, would not be any less meaningful than the rest.

But all this doesn't concern me. I think you can enjoy dailies more if you just play for fun and a unique experience.
Where else could you take such combinations of preps? Anyone else tried it what happens with More and Less glyphs both active?
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Darvin on Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:22 pm

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:37 pm

^ About piety: While you're basically right, I'm pretty high in the piety tab and I spent the whole level in JJ with no knockback. The problem, however, is not just being in one god or another, it's that if you're in a god which rewards converting stuff, your end game piety is REALLY not gonna reflect anything, and if you're not and you just desecrate a bunch of stuff before you click win (costs you a few seconds) you get 40-60 piety just from that. It's not just that you can jack the stat, it's that you can jack total piety with crazy little effort or meaningful moves. I didn't go in looking to jack the stat, but it flashed me that if i just dump the inventory and desecrate all the other altars - boom, crazy high piety.

Or a late EM - join in after everything is done, hit plantation. Regardless of whatever else you've done, as long as you killed a bunch of stuff, you have a ton of piety.

Funny, I still preffer this to badges. Badges have people thinking about how to not use stuff in advance, and that's completely against the whole "weird preps" deal.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:45 pm

True; part of the issue is that JJ's piety gain is drawn out over the long-term. His lifetime generation probably isn't that much different from traditional "farms" like Binlor or Earthmother, but he has to wait a lot longer for it to come in. Still, point remains that which deities you get and when you get them will greatly affect lifetime piety.
Darvin

Postby Astral on Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:50 pm

I played mono JJ and accumulated 570 piety without KB. So if you try it you can get as high as you want to with him.

Btw I weren't racking up piety just to score high, I wanted to test if unspent piety above 100 is calculated too. It is.
Also if you 'pause' the game by clicking away the timer keeps on running. I had 8 minutes extra because of it.
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby flap on Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:59 pm

And it is probably a silly question, but is there a way to estimate left ressources ?

(for example black tiles + potion + conversion points + level up potential from pop corn+ piety). It is probably silly as much ressources existence depends on the play style
flap

Postby lieronet on Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:34 pm

I'm sure there's a way to do that, but there's probably no dev time to do it, plus it would be a really messy stat or set of stats to display.
lieronet

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons