[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Terminology "Battle of attrition" - "Regen figthing"

Terminology "Battle of attrition" - "Regen figthing"

All things Desktop Dungeons

Terminology "Battle of attrition" - "Regen figthing"

Postby flap on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:20 pm

flap

Re: Terminology "Battle of attrition" - "Regen figthing"

Postby Lujo on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:30 pm

Eh, I don't think they call "popcorn" popcorn either, or at least they didn't initally.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby flap on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:33 pm

flap

Postby Astral on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:52 pm

I never used the battle of attrition term before, I'm fine with the word regenfighting.

In my opinion regenfighting comes in more shapes than that.
- Posion based regenfighting. Neither your damage/damage reduction/or regeneration are outstanding, but thanks to poisoning your foe he has even worse attrition than you. Examples : Apheelsik users and non-melee specialized Gorgons.
- 'Mana regen fighting'. Most regenfighters spend health as a resource, but highly poisonous Warlords only care about the mana and they can fight 1HKO stuff too. A new addition to this niche genre is the Alchemist in mana form equipped with halpmeh.
- Lifesteal based regenfighting. It's unique to the Vampire, who doesn't look like a regenfighter with his nerfed 1 point of health regen. However if you cultivate a big blood farm and have high lifesteal you can explore mid combat to heal your bloodcows and your virtual regen becomes the sum of all those monsters' regeneration. The most niche version so far, since if you have such a big blood farm you can generally health spike anything. The only place where it was a meaningful thing to do was VT VGT.
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Lujo on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:58 pm

I regen fight with fireballs a ton, even without chemists. You can always do it against lvl 1 monsters, sometimes lvl 2 guys.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby flap on Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:09 pm

flap

Postby Astral on Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:18 pm

Oh yeah, I agree that they are all regenfighting methods. I meant them a subcategories.

Though checking back your original post, I see you meant that the Monk way of regenfighting and say an Orc Rouge way of regenfighting are different things. I consider them subcategories of regenfighting too. In both cases your damage*your regen is higher than the same for the opponent.

EDIT: LOL, reading fail. Your 2nd point isn't regenfighting in the classical sense, it' just an extended health spiking. I call it 'cutting corners'. Picked up from Lujo, because when you do this you usually only explore 1-2 tiles, just what you get from exploring corners.
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby dislekcia on Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:41 am

We use regen-fighting to describe regenerating mid-fight in order to out damage an enemy over time, be that using only health or health and mana.

Battles of attrition are things that are using up resources, so the Namtar fight is a battle of attrition. For the ingame DD technique, I'd use regen-fighting as the popular term.

... And yes, we call things popcorn. I don't know why this matters so much, seeing people come up with terms is fun and it shouldn't make a difference what we call things.
dislekcia

Postby flap on Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:22 am

Oh, it is just to use a shared vocabulary in the wiki, and point the right concepts to the right words.
So when someone reads something in the forum, and searches it in the wiki, he is sure to get an appropriate explaination.
flap

Return to Desktop Dungeons