[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Leaderboard

Leaderboard

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Leaderboard

Postby Lujo on Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:06 am

Streaks and win-lose don't mean that much. One comp crash or unintentional missclick and you lose a streak.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Tinker on Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:35 am

My cents.

I don't think streak is really meaningful, because 1) your game can always crash, or 2) you can always misclick. I guess, if you look at a large number of runs, then win ratio will be the key metric. Obviously not highly relevant if you only played a few games. This is why most competitive games use something akin to the ELO system, where consistency is the most important factor, and becomes more and more important as you increase in score.

If you want to look at a single game, I don't really think there's any metric that is accurately linked to player skill in general that shows a meaningful ranking. Other than, win/lose, which is basically a binary, still subject to the laptop crash / misclick caveat highlighted above. For example, I play DD with a "how far I can go" mindset, and I deliberately do not consider time to be a factor in my play. It doesn't help that my laptop is ancient and I often wait seconds before my click and its effect, but even without that I would play in a non-hurried way. That's what I enjoy; that's probably also why I usually get decent "XP gained" stats, even better occasionally than the more veteran players, who apparently just don't bother taking individual runs seriously anymore :twisted: .
Last edited by Tinker on Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Lujo on Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:43 am

^ That's what I'm saying, time makes sense when you compare similar times (ancient hardware notwithstanding, my gear is pretty antique too). What having wildly differing timings does, though, is create brackets which you can't compare. That's why I look at ratios to see if I'm happy with myself, if I've got worse stats than other people, but my time is 5 or 10 or 20 minutes shorter, I'm happy with myself. If people took significantly less time but significantly lower stats, then I'm also happy with myself. But if someone with much better stats has a similar time to me - he's got me beat on that run.
Lujo

Postby Tinker on Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:59 am

Or look at it another way. I get 10% higher score than you most of the time. But I take 100% longer to finish. So you're 40% better player then I am. However, you've been playing this game for 4+ years, when I have been playing for less than one, so you should be a 400% better player, which you're apparently not. Tsk-tsk, you're left in the dust... :twisted:
Tinker

Postby Lujo on Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:34 am

You're way more competitive than I am :lol: I never even looked to compete in any way, I thought I was playtesting a casual game and kept being annoyed at all the powergamers*, I only became a vet by accident (and insomnia). :lol: . Or you could say I' brilliant but lazy :P It's not about who's better, but who did more with the ammount of effort they decided to put in, which can really be tracked with how time compares to the other numbers (at least in theory).

*Takes them ages to get of the Gnome high and notice there's other stuff in the game at all, been like that since day 1. They ussually miss most of the actually broken stuff because of that, too.

Anyway, anyone besides me just took Taurog, bought the Yendor and murder the boss this time around?
Lujo

Postby Tinker on Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:54 am

Tinker

Postby flap on Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:26 pm

Leaderborard would be much more fun if we could add comment after playing the dungeon, and if could read others only once we have played it.
flap

Postby Lujo on Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:27 pm

Lujo

Postby dislekcia on Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:59 pm

dislekcia

Postby berpdreyfuss on Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:00 pm

I guess that's one big thing leaderboards naturally do, they make everyone more competitive or make them think about why some people are better in some aspects and try to find the reason why. But it doesn't really matter if one playstyle is "better" than the other, I would say each to their own.

For me, the dailies are fun, because there is just this one chance and of course it's interesting to see how the others did. They should be there for communication rather than competition.
berpdreyfuss

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons