[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - The Chemist

The Chemist

All things Desktop Dungeons

The Chemist

Postby Tinker on Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:56 pm

Last edited by Tinker on Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Re: The Chemist

Postby Lujo on Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:12 pm

Important note on JJ worship is the fact Byceps gets you piety, so you don't have to stack it, you can simply regen fight casting it once or twice on each hit and get craploads of JJ piety. Both of JJ full heals are easily obtainable every time, which helps keep whatever form you're in on without too much chafing, and popcorn bowling with Wonnafyt is also very easy in mana form.

An importan Goblin sinergy besices dinging to circumvent potions is that his best deities are JJ and GG which a Chemist likes to be in anyway, and there's also mutual big bar sinergy. Can also do power punch with less extreme targets, because you can always pad out the XP bar with a glyph conversion to ding, especially if you have an Imawal.

Binlor also works with health based regen fighting, and also has sinergy with Byseps casting.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby caviar on Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:36 pm

Looks solid! Worthy of note on Binlor is that you get a free layer of might with stoneform that doesn't double the BYSSEPS mana cost (at least for now - we'll see whether it's deemed a bug or not on release day ;) ). Stoneskin also works wonders for high-level kills, especially since piety generation is such an efficient affair in manaform.

My standard-issue Chemist (when I'm not warmongering stuff) has been an orc powerpuncher of Binlor, and it usually doesn't let me down. Stonefist is the icing on the cake, especially with the aforementioned race.
caviar

Postby Astral on Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:55 pm

Patmaker's Scholar Pact is really good for the power punching method as well. The +50% hp on overheal lets you tank more hits in Mana Form and the Might bonus increases you Bysseps stack by 1 in case you cast the glyph later.

I think Endiswall and Cydstepp deserve a mention in Mana Form too. They are very useful when you want to strike more foes, and their high cost is less of an issue than usual.
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Tinker on Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:55 am

Above comments included in main post. Thanks! Depending on how much changes until the actual release, some of the above text can even serve as a skeleton for the Wiki entry.
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Astral on Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:25 pm

All of the outside Might sources give temporary base damage boost just like casting regular Bysseps.
The additional base damage does not go away when casting Pisorf, it's like having an inbuilt Trisword.

It's worth mentioning that positioning glyphs are more valuable to Chemists than others. Not being forced to slay a popcorn and lose high stacks of Might is a big deal.
Plant heavy levels can be annoying, lots of opportunities to lose your Might stacks. Ick Swamp also has Vampires to health tax you in Mana Form.

Halpme is a fantastic glyph to have, it enables you to stay in Mana Form for the entire run with no drawbacks. For regenfighting purposes it's only slightly worse to Halpme spam in MF as opposed to BF. On the other hand regenfighting in this form minimizes the impact of lifestealers, and works against poisonous foes too.

If you try to regenfight in HF, keep in mind that getting poisoned can cost you a health potion if you fail to ding on the kill. Fortitude Tonic would put you back into BF so you have to drink a health potion again for double regen. For this reason make sure you have GG or the Viper Ward prepped if you intend to beat VGT Warmonger with it. It's important to save a health potion for the post Whupaz Horatio fight as well.
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Lujo on Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:43 am

I've been reading tinker's brags, too, and really appreciate all the nice research she's done - and I'm putting it to good use in the playthrough.

My experiences thus far would be:

- Losing form on level up changed things up quite a bit, and I like it
- Gnomes seem to be better than elves for refen fighting with fireballs now, especially if you back it up with other spellcastery features.
- It's fairly difficult to use the health form effectively except rather late in the map, or if you stack resists
- Bycepss stacking and potions don't work well togather, because you need to regen your health. Might work with other glyphs/freebies, but it's kind of an either/or thing for me.
- Farming JJ is actually not that straightforward in mana form, you might be better off not using it because you can't spam byceps (and getindare) unless you hit stuff and you run out of health if you do. You can spam a lot of wheytwut and use Byceps on slowed popcorn, but I'm not really sure that's nearly as explosive. Still if you're poisoned, you might as well keep mana form up until you get petition.
- Goblins don't make great chemists, chemists make great goblins.
- Any chemist at all can probably start off in mana form to farm a ton of piety, and any chemist at all can regen fight with fireballs with any sort of backup (elves just psych you into actually doing that even if they're not the best for it, I feel like only gnomes are in fact great for it because they can do it reliably).
- Orcs are very strong, but not THAT strong, simply because health form takes dedication compared to just overloading on a piety farm and playing whatever comes out of that. They also have a caveat that it doesn't take much to have your run get unintentionally hijacked by PoS whereupon you're not playing a chemist anymore.
- Halflings can stay in health form indefinitely. What's this good for, I'm not sure yet, but since you could get a warmonger Orc through everywhere back when he could stay in health form indefinitely (and you can use 2 shcadenfraude when needed), I suppose all you need is regen fighting stuff and damage and they can beat up anything.
Lujo

Postby Lynzkar on Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:03 am

Any suggestions as for how one can beat nagacity as a chemist yet? I've been trying around mostly with goblin of GG, but I allways end up having trouble defeating both Frank and Super Meat Man.
My "best" run yet, I found gloves of midas and crystal ball very early on, so I figured I'd go spiker in mana form, unforturnately my first 3 bosses were super meat man, frank and the tormented one. I ended up lossing to frank, 1 hit away.
I've had others were've gotten futher, but not with such good equipment.

@tinker
typo in main post, Pactmaker not Pactmaster
I am the king of the rats now! Bow before me, peasants.
Class-suggestions, with sprites
Lynzkar

Postby Blovski on Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:23 am

Goblin's probably worse than Orc or Human on NC, where XP's not really a limiting factor. You can't really go wrong with Binlor topside. I'll give it a go myself later.
Blovski

Postby Lujo on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:03 am

Someone has beaten NC with an Orc and Tinker's done it with a Gnome, I'll try it with an Orc caster/knockback guy I think.
Lujo

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons