[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Steam Achievements

Steam Achievements

All things Desktop Dungeons

Steam Achievements

Postby Lujo on Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:57 am

Been looking at the steam achievements just now, and noticed 4 things:

Steam has clocked me at 140 hours in the last two weeks. I'm definitelly overdoing it. My total is somewhere at 500+. I don't really feel like I'm overdoing it, though, because I'm mostly doing it while doing/watching some other stuff at the same time and being unable to sleep and do anything senisble due to lack of sleep :lol: .

But I don't, in fact, have "The Masochist" achievement done, which is kinda strange even if it only counts dungeon run times. Well, if the achievements got reset at one point and the achievement counts run times and Steam counts just the game being turned on, then it makes sense because I tend to leave the game on and alt-tab and play a lot while I'm listening to Dota match casts and stuff. It's just weird.

And the third thing is, and this might just be because of the reset and all, how small a percentage of the players have unlocked the monster classes. 1.1% Half-Dragon, 1% Gorgon and 0.7% Vampire. Very strange, in and off itself, and also the ordering, I though Gorgon would have the least unlocks and Vampire the most, strange.

And finally the following achievements also have strange stats:

1.1% of players did all the Bronze Challenges o.o
0.3% did all the Silver Challenges (!!!) O.O
14% of the people ever had 25 max mana
18.9% of the people ever replaced an item in their locker (a bit less than one person in 5!)
19.8% ever spent piety on more than one god per dungeon
21.9% of the people upgraded any class house past lvl 2

Some of these are very, very strange. More than twice as many people did a lvl1 boss kill than unlocked any of the monster classes, or unlocked all of the quest items? What, apart from the possibly influence of a stat wipe on these statistics, is going on here?
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Re: Steam Achievements

Postby Tinker on Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:20 am

I remember there was a stat shared about how much time each user spends with the game. The majority of the users spend very little time (hardly enough to sensibly get into the game), and there are a handful of players who spend insane amounts of time on the game. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground, if you're hooked on and are even just a little bit completionist, you will do 100+ hours because rainbows are cool. But most people will just play it, like it, but like other stuff maybe a bit more and just move on I guess. Blasphemy, I know :P
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Astral on Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:16 am

I have over 500 hours of gameplay, hasn't gotten the Masochist yet. Not long ago I saw a popup that told me I'm ~halfway there -_-

Some stats are peculiar, but the amount of level 1 bosskills done is not. There are some easy guides for that on the steam page, giving tips how to do it in ND in an early kingdom. There are guides for monster classes too, those require some skill though.
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby ~'(^ + ^)'~ on Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:03 pm

Just sharing what I know:

Several of us over at the Steam forums have speculated that Masochist actually only counts hours spent in "failed" runs. There seems to be some evidence of this such as seeing those milestone pop-ups (50%, 75% and 90% for the Masochist) only during a continual long period of failed runs (I have seen my 50% indication when first doing the Hard GT quest and failing multiple times and only finally got the achievement while failing many times doing Vicious GT quest). Also, you veterans who evidently have a very low fail rate are the people who have spent long hours and not yet gotten the achievement: The Schachter is 1 of them (if I am not wrong). Anyway, for me I only got the Masochist (the last achievement for me) at around 800+ hours (I don't think the way Steam tracks time is that accurate but then again I tend to play very slowly and also I am sure lots of hours are idling time when I am not 100% at the game, doing several things at the same time).

I think someone has suggested leaving the game running over night and then just failing (retreating) on the next morning and have seen the milestone pop-ups.

Devs have also mentioned that they have checked and that all game time in dungeons is tracked regardless of the result of the runs.

There is no good conclusion on this. Anyway, I am pretty sure you veterans don't give a s*** about achievements so you won't be bothered to leave the game running just for the sake of getting the Masochist. Just thought that it would be good for me to share what I know, :)

I am still not a veteran at the game but I have definitely gotten much better than when I first started (clocking 1000+ hours, so says Steam). A million thanks to QCF Design for making one of the greatest games I have ever played!
~'(^ + ^)'~

Postby Astral on Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:55 pm

Thanks for the sharing it :)

While the achievement is not so important to me, I'm curious if it is the reason why we haven't completed it yet. Gonna try some long suicidal runs :P
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby caviar on Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:01 pm

caviar

Return to Desktop Dungeons