[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - What do you think of the new On-Selection UI?

What do you think of the new On-Selection UI?

All things Desktop Dungeons

What do you think of the new On-Selection UI?

Postby Tinker on Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:32 am

I've been putting several dozen games into the new PC interface on the test build. I do not find the new right-click selection UI very useful on PC, and I miss the old one dearly.

With the old on-selection UI I could do something like this: 1. Select Monster 2. BURNDAYRAZ 3. BURNDAYRAZ 4. MANA POTION 5. BURNDAYRAZ 6. SCHADENFREUDE 6. ATTACK 7. BURNDAYRAZ etc. All from the same interface. Makes combats both safe and fast. I make sure my inventory is in the proper order (normally means one move, potions to last slot, that's it). I don't mind not seeing the other items, because especially for items like WHUPAZ etc. I specifically want to avoid the risk of mis-clicking and using it up, except when I get to that part of the boss fight.

Now, the new on-selection UI instead has a pop-out containing all options, but clicking those only "locks" the choice, and a second click is needed to activate it. So the above scenario becomes: 1. Select Monster 2. Pull out pull-out 3. Select BURNDAYRAZ 4. Cast BURNDAYRAZ 5. Cast BURNDAYRAZ 6. Pull out pull-out 7. Select Mana Potion 8. Drink Mana Potion 9. Pull out pull-out 10. Select BURNDAYRAZ 11. Cast BURNDAYRAZ 12. Pull out pull-out 13. Select Schadenfreude 14. Drink Schadenfreude 15. Pull out pull-out 16. Select Attack 17. Attack 18. Pull out pull-out 19. Select BURNDAYRAZ 20. Cast BURNDAYRAZ

The effect on my play has been that I stopped using the selection UI completely because it is very slow and very unwieldy. I can see this being a really good solution on a mobile device, but I do not see any benefit for the PC version.

Please don't take this as whining! I would, however, very much like to understand 1) what is the DEV intention / thinking on this topic, and 2) how other players use the new on-selection UI, and how they find it?
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Re: What do you think of the new On-Selection UI?

Postby dislekcia on Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:00 pm

The right click select menu wasn't working for mobile, players needed a way to confirm what they wanted to do in a one-input-mechanism environment, so we built a confirmation button and that meant the whole thing had to change.

On PC I can understand that it's annoying to have to move over to the button multiple times and having the tray slide away. On mobile there's actually a "recently used" section of the tray that's always visible, it's just not useful on PC because it's not a whole new action to slide out the tray...

So spacebar works, meaning you don't have to constantly let the tray close on PC if you don't want to. But, would it be easier if mousing over the icons in the tray showed their previews and clicking on them just did that action? Or, if people still want to use the "action button", would it make sense to make right click on an icon mouse-down show a preview and mouse-up do that action?
dislekcia

Postby Astral on Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:50 pm

I dislike the way it currently works because of its slowness.

From the 2 suggestions, the 1st one sound better to me: mousing overs shows preview, clicking executes it.
I don't like the idea of pressing a button to find out the result and if you accidentally release it while your cursor is still there, you do it. Or do I misunderstand it?
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Tinker on Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:33 pm

Tinker

Postby dislekcia on Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:36 am

The old UI no longer exists. It was causing huge problems trying to have both integrated into the game, so it's been replaced.

That said, we'll try to make the selection combat on PC more in line with how the rest of the PC experience works. There's a reason that it doesn't do things on mouseover: Mobile doesn't have mouseovers!
dislekcia

Postby Tinker on Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:07 pm

Tinker

Postby Tinker on Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:32 am

Tinker

Postby dislekcia on Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:32 am

Okay, so we moved the drawer down to not cover the healthbar anymore...

What is the issue with the drawer sliding out to meet your mouse cursor? This is the only way we could find to deal with the problem of reaching the maximum number of buttons - it's possible for the tray to actually slide out over the dungeon itself now, so it has to be temporary.

... Hang on, it looks like the tray isn't extending ALL the way out when you have 10 or more items. Fixing.
dislekcia

Postby Tinker on Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:51 am

Tinker

Postby berpdreyfuss on Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:05 pm

Maybe it would be better if the tray popped out when the cursor is on the enemy status field? Now I have to move the cursor to the far right to let it pop out and then go back left to get to the action.
berpdreyfuss

Return to Desktop Dungeons