[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Monk Gold woes

Monk Gold woes

All things Desktop Dungeons

Monk Gold woes

Postby lieronet on Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:03 pm

This is the last of the main class golds I have to do, and holy moley is it a doozy. This challenge feels stacked against the player in a way that just doesn't compare to the rest. No shops, no preps, one really lackluster god (Jehora), and some truly awful mob spawns. The only things you can fight are the meat men and the random spawn, and you can't even fight the meat men once they're poisonous without HALPMEH. I feel this challenge is really far above the curve, even for gold. Does anyone else agree? Can anyone out there beat this challenge reliably?

EDIT: Of course, the instant I gripe about the challenge on the forums I go and beat the thing. Taurog > EM with HALPMEH and APHEELSIK. This is, of course, one BYSEPPS away from a perfect draw though, and my monster set was pretty good. I still feel the challenge is way too reliant on luck, and that something needs to give for this run to be something that can be completed with any kind of consistency. Just my 2c.
lieronet

Re: Monk Gold woes

Postby Astral on Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:25 pm

I've beaten this challenge many times, never lost it before. Aren't there other gods in the challenge?
I remember it having 2 altars, Taurog and EM comes to my mind as alternatives, and they are both really good.

I know it's very important to pick Orc as your race in this one that makes everything as lot easier in this. Human can work too, but Orc soaks weakening better and you need the help in the early game, not late.

Apheelsik should be a guaranteed spawn, and is essential for the bossfight. I think Bysseps spaens every time as well, useful for stripping the resistance of the boss.

I think the only important thing in this challenge is realizing that regenfigthers can, and should fight in a flexible way as well. Alternating between spellcasting and sipmle health spiking as well. It's key to level efficiently, that way you can reach higher levels sooner and you can regenfight meatmen before they start to rot. And the popcorn you stack up is a nice bonus as well.

Out of curiosity, have you beaten Slime Pits with a monk? How hard was it?

Edit: Congratz on beating it!
I have to disagree, the challenge can be beaten very reliably if you're familiar with Monk and your god play and glyph usage is very good. You could even leverage your potions against troublesome foes, something I never done because I like to play parched :P
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby lieronet on Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:35 pm

I can tell you for fact that there are no guaranteed glyphs besides BURNDAYRAZ, although I don't recall seeing GETINDARE spawn. The three altars are Jehora, Taurog, and EM. I'm pretty sure Jehora is a trap here - I think he's there to strip the boss' resists as well as give you a free level, but he usually just wrecks your run early while you farm for Petition. It's possible I should just play normally when I find him instead of piety farming, but then he still runs the risk of seriously setting you back with an inopportune punishment. Doesn't feel like he offers as much as the other gods here.

Naturally, I am picking Orc.

I don't remember the last time I've run a Monk through the Slime Pits, if I've done it at all. I'm not incredibly creative - I tend to just throw Orc Rogues and Gnome Sorcs of Mystera at everything until everything dies. As such, I admit I'm not the best at Monk, and that probably is a fair part of my struggle.
lieronet

Postby Lujo on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:22 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Nurator on Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:06 am

Congrats on completing all gold challenges! Did you conquer some vicious dungeons yet? Vicious Tower of Gaan Telet? ;-)

Dont get too excited over Orc Rogues yet. The really hard things are yet to come ;-)
Nurator

Postby lieronet on Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:39 pm

My monk play must really suck if people think I haven't done Vicious stuff because I had trouble here :L
lieronet

Postby Lujo on Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:03 pm

It's possible because Monk is an A-grade vicious clearer. What might be confusing you is that the level is both purist and the class is the exact oposite of the Rogue so if you're to used to throwing Orcs at stuff and prepping up - no dice. If you find Byceps and JJ, you can farm a cubic crapton of JJ piety on a Monk - don't overdo on the stat bonuses, just grab the petition, one heat of each buff maybe and CA your way to a kill, then join Taurog, grab his stuff and go back to JJ so you can cast more byceps while you regen fight. Not sure how EM works in the level, I suppose it's if you go spellcaster.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Astral on Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:57 pm

EM is fantastic in many regards. She gives Imawall so you can brick Muck Walkers and those cursed slimes as well. Her Greenblood boon adds a lot of damage to your monk early on and it's useful for spellcasting too. Timed well, it removes curses in a fight. Vineform doesn't hurt in small doses either.
Since you will be regenfighting your boss it's not a bad idea using clearance for killing otherwise difficult opponents. Once you have what you want you can just piety farm and hop into your next god. If it's Taurog you take all the cool items and when you mopped enough popcorn you can come back to be able to glyph spam without worries. For rush piety there's plantation.
If you hop into JJ you have instant petition. Usually at least 1 of your glyphs will help farming JJ piety, once your get close to 50 you can desecreate EM and take CA for the ding and resist stripping.
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Nurator on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:43 am

Did you look at the Wiki? There are some strategies that are really suitable for the Monk play style.
Nurator

Return to Desktop Dungeons