[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Flaming run picking algorthym tweak suggestion

Flaming run picking algorthym tweak suggestion

All things Desktop Dungeons

Flaming run picking algorthym tweak suggestion

Postby Lujo on Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:37 pm

Could the flame please ignore ranibowed sub-vicious dungeons if there are still non-ranibowed ones? Please?

I've just noticed something that's kinda grinding down my playthrough ATM. The PQI has moved into the Vicious dungeons because all the non-vicious ones have been golded (1-2 classess away from full completion). The flame always stays below Vicious afaik. I'm not sure what it prioritizes.

However, Ick Swamp was flaming, and I went to do it to change the PQI offer. This made it go Rainbow, but the Flame choose IT again. This was quite disenheartening because I'd like to do flaming runs (more money and they spin the PQI), but it was stuck on the only dungeon where I've done everything when it could choose any other sub-vicious dungeon that I'd much rather play (I've done them quite evenly and they're all just about done).

But then I ground my teeth and still did it, the next two flames were stuff I hadn't done - and they got one class away from Rainbow, so Ick Swamp was still the only rainbow - and the Flame went right back to Ick Swamp! So it's again stuck on the only rainbow dungeon with 12-15 others being stuff I'd like to do and are close to rainbow. And if I want to spin Vicious PQI's I have to do it... And i'm kinda terrified of the idea of it streaking on Ick again, or leaping to it every other run :(

So, could we get it to ignore the fully completed stuff if there's stuff that's not fully completed?
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Re: Flaming run picking algorthym tweak suggestion

Postby Tinker on Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:25 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Lujo on Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:39 pm

Me too.

And now it's been over a day that it's stuck on Flaming Ick, I went and did it for the 3rd time - and ofc, it crashed when I alt-tabbed to take the screenie, so now it's still flaming and I'll have to do it again. Makes a grown man want to cry. I could've Rainbowed all the sub-vicious dungeon by now in the time I've spent either playin Rainbow Ick or not playing DD because I didn't feel like playing that rainbow Ick yet...
Lujo

Postby Tinker on Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:25 pm

By the way, I just did something like half a dozen runs on Ick because I was experimenting with stuff on that map. I tried several Rogues, Thieves, Fighters and Tinkers, in all sorts of races (ok, mostly Elves and Gnomes :lol: ), and deities (ok, lots of GG, and some Mystera and JJ). I also did the all-shiny GG paladin on Ick (obviously doable on any map, but Ick helps a lot with all the convenient afflictions). Not sure if it helps, though, I guess you just want to rainbow your new kingdom with as few de-tours as possible... ;)
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Lujo on Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:23 pm

I saw that paladin XD That was awesome!

And I don't fear Ick one bit, really, I like that place and don't think it's hard at all, I've just tanked so much from the PQI this time, and this in combination with a streaking Vicious Steel just feels terrible (it's like - PQI, I did everything you wanted me to do, I played 20 gobbo thieves, why are you doing this to me? :( ). It makes a player feel frustrated and powerless, there's jut nothing to be gained and no way to move that flame and one of the most frustrating things in DD is being prevented from doing the run you want to do when you sit down for it. As long as I can choose my runs (even if the choice is "I wanna do murderous Vicious or VT PQI with random crap PQI throws at me") - I can do 15/20 runs in a day, but when the game streaks the single one thing you don't want to do (for kinda understandable reasons) I really feel bad.

That's why the Goblin Monk Vicious Steel rant is like that, and why my mood is so foul right now, I actually DID this Ick run 4 times allready - 1 time it just stayed there, one time it returned in 2 runs, next time it streaked again in the same spot, and the 4th it crashed. So the next time I do it would be like 5-th or 6-th time I have to do the only dungeon I've completed just to be able to keep doing what I've been doing for a month untill that happened.

But eh, I guess that part is understandable, I hope the devs take this suggestion seriously and save other folks the very real frustration that can occur. I've seen people complaining about streaking flames lately, and this is probably just one of the most frustratingly bizzare incarnation of that annoyance.
Lujo

Postby dislekcia on Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:20 pm

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooope.
dislekcia

Postby Lujo on Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:14 pm

So you are fine with the idea of your players having the mechanic meant to incentivise them to play something streak on the dungeon they played 4-5 times in a row, while all the other stuff is clearly what they would much rather be doing?

Isn't it obvious that it fails as an incentive to play when that happens, but rather tuns into an incentive NOT to play?
Lujo

Postby dislekcia on Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:21 pm

The flaming dungeon isn't an incentive to play, it's a way to make money. It's completely random, picking the same dungeon a bunch of times is exactly how that works.

If people want to play other dungeons, they can play those dungeons :)
dislekcia

Return to Desktop Dungeons