Compass Point Tips?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Compass Point Tips?

Postby Tinker on Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:36 pm

The North is a balanced experience, though confidence with glyph use is recommended.
The West is a good option for players who need to build up a little more experience.
The South is quite difficult, but provides some nice financial opportunities.
The East is recommended for more confident players and game veterans.

Are these tips supposed to be relevant for the whole lot of dungeons belonging to a given direction, or just the respective dungeons (Northern Desert / Western Jungle / Southern Swamp / Eastern Tundra)? Or do these refer to the early game quests?

I could never make heads or tails of these tips. Northern Desert for example is really benefiting from glyph use, given how both bosses are easy to fireball, but I generally find the other northern maps easier with melee. West says it's the mildest option, but it also hosts the hardest hard dungeon (The Labyrinth). Now, Naga City does offer a good gold loot, but then again so does Namtar's or the Demonic Library... And the snowy (eastern) maps I find to be the easiest ones, Berserker Camp has low monster difficulty, Halls of Steel has the Orb which is useful against the majority of the monsters... Namtar's and Vicious Steel are possibly the easiest Vicious dungeons...
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Re: Compass Point Tips?

Postby Darvin on Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:59 pm

It refers to the deities

North unlocks Mystera, the spellcaster god.
West unlocks Taurog, the incredibly straightforward "let's hit stuff hard" god
South used to unlock Tikki Tooki, the "showers you with gold" god, but he swapped places with Earthmother
East unlocks Glowing Guardian, which has long been a favorite of veterans that beginners don't like much
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:03 pm

I believe that's related to which gods you can unlock in which direction more than the dungeons themselves.

EDIT: Ninja'd.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Tinker on Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:34 pm

Thanks, guys! :D I never would have thought of that. Though maybe these can also be updated in case the deities were swapped, or maybe the flavor text can remove itself after the deities were unlocked, if they really only refer to these.
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Return to Desktop Dungeons