Three things I *love* about Desktop Dungeons

All things Desktop Dungeons

Three things I *love* about Desktop Dungeons

Postby Tinker on Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:49 pm

Oh hey, so we're just about to see the Advanced Edition released, so we ought to talk about that right? Well, there's one topic I wanted to post since a while now (I tried it once but it turned into a list of caveats known as the DD Hate thread), which is about why I'm so totally into DD! ;) Believe it or not this is harder than the bash thread, because it takes some brains to articulate properly (duh).

1. Everything does two things. May sound silly. But, fireball does damage plus burning. GETINDARE gives First Strike and dodge. ENDISWAL breaks a wall and gives physical resist. List goes on, practically every game element in DD has a main effect and at least one side effect (that occasionally become more important than the main one). Now it may sound weird, but what this does is, nothing is ever totally useless (or, for that matter, nothing is ever straightforward). So you see that GETINDARE and play a Rogue? Insta-convert, unless, you want to benefit from increasing the dodge - which is, a much bigger benefit with a base dodge of 20%. List could go on, the point is, the game mechanics were designed quite well.

2. Combinations and synergies. So it's a bit of a bigger thing and it's mostly about game balance and variance, but I want to distill it down into a few sentences. So first you're discovering the game and you're like Orc Wizard, Gnome Sorcerer or Dwarven Rogue. Seems like the peak at the time. Then you're digging a bit deeper and you find workable stuff around Gnome Tinker, Elf Fighter or Orc Thief. Then you keep playing, and you find ways to ace Vicious with the Gnome Fighter, the Human Bloodmage or the Goblin Thief. After a while you could probably do any map with any class/race combination, simply by finding the synergy that may be completely un-obvious to players who don't look for it. It's not about skill elitism, it's about how well the game supports the learning curve - you find new synergies even after hundreds of runs.

3. Awesome devs and free expansion! Plus dailies! And great community! All the package *around* the game that makes it doubly awesome! (Yes I'm shamelessly praising everyone now, hope there's not a lot of blushing! :) ). Oh, and there's the Wiki, now that the new expansion adds a lot of content, and fixes bugs, and tweaks a number of unadvertised things, it will need again some work. Still it's an awesome resource. But I guess DD benefits from all the indie charm AAA titles and their studios pronouncedly lack. Having direct dialogue between the people whose passion is to design the content, and those whose passion is to consume it, without the freeloader in-betweeners whose massive salaries are justified by them sophisticatedly calling a "spade" a "heart-shaped surface-optimizing solution". ;)
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Re: Three things I *love* about Desktop Dungeons

Postby Lynzkar on Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:52 pm

The text needed to contain 25 characters, so here are some CORRECTLY sized text.
No-one is probary able to read this, because it is CORRECTLY sized.
I absolutely love the devs (though I supouse dislekcia is the only one I've ever talked to of the devs). They are very friendly and I kinda even got my own monster class added to the game, though it may have allready been in their heads when I made the ratling-monster class concept. Regardless, to me if feels like I made the idea for the rat monarch.
And the community is great. My favorite thing is when I make a (monster)class concept, and even though you can't play it out in practial, you manage to theoreticaly break the game with it. It's absolutely amazing. Love to all of ya!
Last edited by Lynzkar on Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the king of the rats now! Bow before me, peasants.
Class-suggestions, with sprites
Lynzkar

Postby Astral on Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:50 pm

The dual function of objects is one of my favorite part of DD. I still remember what made me purchase this game: one day I was bored and decided to check some videos of the youtubers I subscribed to but haven't watched in ages. I was looking through Northernlion's videos and the name 'Desktop Dungeons' caught my eyes - I played the alpha and it was immensely fun. NL is notorious for being bad in puzzle games or just being very unobservant while commenting (and he talks non-stop :D) so as expected he completely misplayed the game and failed to showcase it properly, but none of that mattered, as soon as he hovered over a glyph and I saw its description I fell in love with the game and knew I had to buy it.

Also as the video went on other amazing parts of the game caught my attention too: the fantastic music, the great atmosphere, the simplistic but very informative details, all in all the excellence in design.

I feel I have to mention how much I love the lighthearted, funny side of DD too.

It goes without saying I love the Devs of QCF Design, they are the best devs I know, and this is my favorite game forum of all. Really love the community, despite there's no strict moderation the forums are kind and helpful with plenty of thoughtful content.
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby dislekcia on Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:51 am

Awww, this thread is <3 :) Thanks.

Astral, that is the single best thing to happen due to that NL video! We were pretty bummed after he didn't seem to click with the game, we worked on getting him to play it for a long time before release.

P.S. There's some pretty strict moderation, I'm just a ninja ;)
dislekcia

Postby Lujo on Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:02 am

Mine would be:

1) The way it's both a very condensed small scale game and a huge "play it your whole life" thing - it packs the whole RPG experience into a 10 minute package without feeling like it's been dumbed down, but when you get into it and go for full completion you discover it's in fact enormous.

2) The graphics and the general presentation of it is charming as all hell, and it sells itself on mature merits. There's no pandering, no cheap marketing wish fullfilment stuff for teenagers, it pokes fun at itself and the whole concept of adventuring while still being a very hardcore and legit RPG. Also has one of the nastiest main villans, no matter how silly the concept may sound at glance, that's "grownup horror stuff" right there.

3) All the variety is rather rewarding and the whole thing is rather well balanced so it doesn't fell like it has dead weight despite being huge. Every time a above-power outlier gets nipped a bit, all the other stuff just ends up looking even better. For a game of this scope it's quite an achevement.
Last edited by Lujo on Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Astral on Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:56 am

Thanks dislekcia :)
I'm also sad he didn't get into the game, would've enjoyed it a ton to see him make more videos stumbling through dungeons.

And nice job moderating the forums then!
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Lynzkar on Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:20 pm

Oh my, it's almost 3 years scince I bought Desktop Dungeons. (7. May 2012)
I concidered waiting til 7th may for this post, because it's also my hundred post on the forms, so hurray to both of those things.
Lynzkar

Postby squirrelnest on Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:02 pm

My favorite part of DD is the learning curve. Every step of the way, this game has felt hard, but not impossible, to me.

I still remember my first shifting passages victory, holy cow did I get excited. It was back when I thought the bloodmage sucked, and he still had 10 mana then! It's funny to me how easy that run is now, but I get the exact same feeling on the content I'm currently working.

Right now I'm on i-don't-care-about-badges viscous runs with various race class combos and all my favorite preps and bashing my head against those, but I know sooner or later I'm going to skill up and be onto something harder.

This game makes me feel dumb and then clever in more iterations than any other puzzle game I've played.

:D
squirrelnest

Postby Lynzkar on Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:13 pm

I still manage to mess up shifting passages so ofen. That one incorrect enemy killed, then suddenly i got my self trapped between two level 8 enemies, at level 3. (I should bring transmution seal more ofen)
Lynzkar

Postby MTaur on Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:45 pm

Goatperson was weirdly overpriced IMO, but as a package I got my money's worth and then some. I think this game is so demanding that I burned out on it, but I know for sure that I'll be back.

Other than that, I sort of love everything. I just hate when I forget about punishments or something dumb. I double-hate it when it's a daily and I can't redeem myself. Oh well, time to buy extra accounts! (Ha ha, no.)

I'm probably better than most of the people who don't post here, and worse than most of the people who do. I kind of like that, too. I don't even want to TRY VGT because I am terrified.

I'm having trouble staying on-topic, but I'm just sort of thinking about my entire DD experience as a whole as I read through this thread. I kind of like the this-is-really-hard-no-wait-it's-not-and-then-i-get-complacent-and-whoops-maybe-i-never-really-did-learn-anything-after-all cycle too. It's sort of crazy.

It's also crazy how I can post entire LP videos and do really well with Deathgaze but miss something really basic like "don't waste effort on magic strike monsters" in the same run. Lopsided runs where you derp one thing hard and squeeze lots of efficiency out of something else can hold a weird fascination in retrospect...
MTaur

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons