[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 390: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Basic info about update

Basic info about update

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Basic info about update

Postby Lujo on Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:39 pm

Oh, you're not locked into anything, it's just the most boring, simple way to do things if you really want to just fast forward through something to get to something regardless of classess and races and stuff. You know, when people don't have 30 runs worth of RL time to get anywhere, at least untill it's hopefully de-bugged and stuff. And yeah, it's kind of balanced by peoples minds resisting the idea that anything that stupid and straightforward could actually work XD Almost like a debug mode console cheat or smth... The funny thing is is that it's quite reliable even without the signature elements, the signature stuff just makes it flat out broken.

EDIT: But in terms of power and reliablity, it's pretty safe to say that it's basically the no.1 recommended strat on about 90% of the dungeons, often (not always) on top of most race/class/god combos which are stictly advantaged in those dungeons, and completely destroys the point of about 10+ dungeons, and about 4 badges, all togather. Noone's locked into it, ofc, because it's not really supposed to exist, it's only there because people were either too confused by the pissorf tooltip, or because it makes 0 sense that it should actually work (because too much other stuff doesn't make sense if it does). It's also why it isn't all over the wiki - no sane tester would've let that through if we were fully aware of how silly it is, except it just slipped by thanks to sheer banal disbelief-inducing outrageousness. If we knew about it it would be widely know as "that DD breaking strat", atlest untill the devs got fed up with it being everywere. Which is what happened to all other stuff like that, eventually.
Last edited by Lujo on Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Tinker on Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:28 pm

chime-chime

Naga City is scary. That dungeon really gave me the creeps the first time I saw it, and I initially thought it was impossible to win. I still remember the sinking feeling when the second set of three bosses appeared on my first attempt... I tried and retried the map, and now I have it rainbowed and my success rate is probably close to 100% on it for the last dozen or so games. To be honest, I don't think I'd be classified as a really good player, I'm just diligent and don't mind trying the same things again and again, and I always try to learn from my mistakes.

On the Dailies I have two losses to date, one of them was my own stupidity, I didn't notice a Retaliate:Fireball; the other was a bug, I couldn't even attempt the run, it just registered me without playing. I do play relatively carefully though.

Spamming fireballs is better than anything PISORF can do in 90% of the cases. The benefit of PISORF (and in the context of melee, knockback in general) is that there are no specific counters to it (i.e. Retaliate), and it bypasses some monster traits if used properly. That said, most of the time I use fireballs and I'm quite happy with the way that plays, i.e. you can very reliable clear Demonic Library with a fireball caster despite the Retaliates and MRs.
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Lujo on Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:43 pm

Both of those things about fireballs aren't true. Neither in the metaphorical sense, or in the math sense. You can beat most things with fireballs, but you can beat most things with anything. Especially if you're good enough and pile on enough sinergy. With this you don't have to be good enough, or pile on anything, and you can't even be inconvenienced by anything - and you can easily beat everything with everything. HUGE difference. You don't have to be good at DD for that, you just have to know how that one thing works (as in just know how it works, it pretty much plays itself once you do it right once), and the number of elements you have to pay attention to makes it a complete joke. Not saying fireballs aren't rather simple and straightforward, though, just that this is even simpler than that. If you care about the game being great and flawless, devs being brilliant, balance being awesome, classes, strats, your own skill and stuff, you can write something like "fireball is better in 90% of the cases", but if you just look at it objectively and just want stuff done without using your head one bit, not even close. Less retarded stuff got nerfed for being degenerate, and with good cause, which is one of the reasons the game is so well balanced. Sorry about keeping this up, but telling people that there's a better or more generally applicable strat is flat out misinformation, and it also might be keeping the devs from realizing there's a bigass needles hole in an otherwise rather well balanced game.

Lujo

Postby MTaur on Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:50 am

MTaur

Postby dislekcia on Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:49 pm

dislekcia

Postby Tinker on Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:06 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Lujo on Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:28 pm

Tinker, don't even joke about that :lol:
Lujo

Postby MTaur on Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:53 pm

MTaur

Postby dislekcia on Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:24 pm

I know. It's super annoying... It's hitting my work machine at the moment too.

As soon as I figure out a solution I'll make it a post here.
dislekcia

Postby MTaur on Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:03 pm

I only cared because I was trying to get early access to the update, but that's not a thing anymore. Bummer about the work machine, though. :(
MTaur

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons