[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Chemist builds

Chemist builds

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Chemist builds

Postby Blovski on Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:59 pm

My theories from trying it out this week.

- Halfling/Gnome don't really work for me. You can't spike the dungeon to death and you really just need your potion forms for key levels. Only exception I could think of is using JJ boosters.
- Orc should be good. Human should be a little less good than Orc but still alright.
- Dwarf. I want to like it but double health regen doesn't get you an early game boost like double mana regen does.
- Elf... nonono, you're dead wrong on this one. The Chemist is the only class who can get twice as many fireballs for the blackspace. That means you can regen-fight bosses who can't even retaliate once you hit level 8. Elf adds a small spike on top of that. Lower with the right boons and items. Elf also has real issues with getting refills and your big mana pool should allow you to save a lot of blackspace while levelling. Ideally have yourself a Crystal Ball or a Schadenfreude potion.
- Goblin will be doing goblin things. I don't think the synergy is amazing for the chemist, though obviously reaching higher levels with less black space spent makes the chemists' regen abilities better.

---

Gods

Binlor, Mystera, EM, TT and JJ all generate piety through casting. Especially Mystera and Binlor. I think spending a mana potion at level 1 while you create a popcorn bowl and increment your resists is worthwhile just for the doubled piety gain. Hell, it might even be worth it just to piety farm with Mystera before switching over to 50 piety on your god of choice. On a sample not especially focussed game with prepped Mystera I just hit 3 mana boosts, 2 weakenings, mystic balance, flames, refreshment and 90-odd piety left over after cleaning up all the enemies (a total of about 355 mana).

My most satisfying combo so far was an Elf Chemist of Mystera. Through the roof piety generation leading to a ton of mana boosts and a full rack of spellcasting talents (Flames, MB, Refreshment). Then regen/spike fireballed the boss to death.

---

For my own sake more than anything, when a chemist in mana form can regen fight a boss with no magic resistance with fireballs -

Damage required per fireball (I'm ignoring stacking burning, because maths makes my brain hurt and because it's a fringe case where you'll need to use this):

Without mystic balance: 29 (30-1 for burning)
With mystic balance: 24 (25-1 for burning)

Which is to say, level 8 (32) for characters without MB and level 7 (28) for characters with it. Throw in Flames or Battlemage ring and it's level 6 (30) or 5 (25) respectively. Throw in both and it's level 5 (30) for either, even level 4 with MB if you've got the absurd amount of blackspace you'd need just to kill them through the extra burning damage. This is regen fighting where you don't ever need to be able to take a hit, you just need the blackspace available.
Last edited by Blovski on Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blovski

Postby MTaur on Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:46 am

How about Chemist for Demonic Library? Hybrid approaches are supposed to be good, and Chemist can do that. It might be one of the first things I try. Maybe Elf, but I'm not decided yet.
MTaur

Postby Blovski on Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:03 am

Blovski

Postby MTaur on Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:57 am

MTaur

Postby Lujo on Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:21 am

I'm finding extreme Bycepss a bit niche. Elves are good, but if you're using JJ you run out of potions because you ding (and you probably also run out of potins if you don't use JJ, possibly, also because you ding, since you're kind of always fighting above your level). It's not that it isn't good - it leaves plenty of popcorn to just ding the big mana pool afterwards, but I really think that for reliable regen fighting the Gnome is pretty good (builing up a good mana pool with preps and Mystera or JJ is also not that hard).

I've also had a great time with Goblins - they're only occasionally good with potions, but they're great with Byceps (which also isnt that great with potions if you're using it to farm piety). Reason is that it makes farming JJ very easy, and Gobbos love JJ, you can ding out of whatever form you are in, you get a different way to refill at will to ocmpensate for the lack of usual potions, and Bycepss gets better with levels (you can get more hits in and you get base damage).

Also, any chemist at all can regen fight with fireballs.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons