[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Item idea: Portable altar

Item idea: Portable altar

All things Desktop Dungeons

Item idea: Portable altar

Postby Dwarf on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:41 am

[note for the moderator: if you think this is dumb/useless, fell free to directly erase this]

Just tried to make a few (horrible) runs in shifting passages and labyrinth (i hate you Rex!) and i just thougth:
"oh my god I would love to have that portable altar NPCs have in a subdungeon."

:idea: :idea: :idea:

Why not make a portable altar? It would be useless in maps where walls don't move, but in shifting passages or labyrinth it could make a great difference, at the cost of one inventory space. Maybe it should be useful to give it a bonus, in addition to the possibility to have a boon wherever you are?

Or maybe just the possibility to desecrate twice the same gods altar would be good enough?
Dwarf

Re: Item idea: Portable altar

Postby Astral on Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:54 am

It's not a silly idea at all, but the problem with portable altars is that some dungeons are designed with the challenge that you will be cut off from your altar, or the boss safely sits in a subdungeon, being untouchable by global effect boons. Evading these limitations would be very strong and would greatly reduce the difficulty of those maps.

I think what you need is ways to remove walls. Bearmace is a situational, but very useful item for opening up passages. The transmutation scroll can be used with more precision, but you need to save it for the right moment.

Also there's Binlor to prep, but that obviously doesn't work on runs you'd want to prep something else.

If you ever run into the Titan guitar item you should locker it :)
Will trivialize Shifting Passages, but has a surprising effect on Labyrinth.
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Lujo on Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:33 pm

^ Would that be the "you lose all sense of direction" effect?
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Tinker on Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:38 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Astral on Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:12 pm

Yeah, I meant that one. It's a really weird experience when you see it the first time.
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby MTaur on Tue May 05, 2015 1:49 am

Conjunction could be modded to have this functionality. But aside from special dungeons that lock you in a basement, you aren't that often kept away from the gods you already have.

Maybe something a little more novel could be gods-related, like a god-o-matic that randomly generates a boon for sale and has some sort of resource cost associated with rerolls, such as exploration tiles, gold, or piety. Maybe you have no choice but to pony up the piety if you want the limited-time offer before it expires, but you don't have enough yet! X-D

My idea is sort of silly and would take a lot of balance work. For example, the choice of which deity you worship is sort of bundled with the piety cost when making a final valuation. 15 piety for Humility would be way too cheap as a freebie, but in-game, Humility means that you're stuck with GG for at least a few levels. On the other hand, 100 for Enlightenment is meaningless in the god-o-matic scheme, and might need to be ineligible.
MTaur

Postby Lujo on Tue May 05, 2015 2:23 am

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Return to Desktop Dungeons