How does the PQI algorithm work?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: How does the PQI algorithm work?

Postby Lynzkar on Thu May 07, 2015 8:54 pm

Warmonger Vampire in Magma Mines, is probary the most impossible sounding (non vicious) PQI I've gotten.
It's rather easy tho, just prep a Whupaz for Hurr. I supouse this can be done with the Whurrgarbl.
(Can of Whupaz allways deals a minimum of 1 damage in "true damage" (ignores all immunity and resistances, simmlar to corrosive damage)) (Whurrgarbl will allow you to apply 1 stack of burning, then proc the 1 damage by attacking a different monster, I'm pretty certain this works too, I'll test it, and update this asap)
I am the king of the rats now! Bow before me, peasants.
Class-suggestions, with sprites
Lynzkar

Re: How does the PQI algorithm work?

Postby Lujo on Thu May 07, 2015 9:36 pm

Anyway, I think that whatever the current formula is it needs a cap on the spread between the stuff you "played" and stuff you underplayed. 20 Goblin Thieves in a row shouldn't happen, or even 10 alternating Dwarf Warlords and Halfling Warlords or whatever, because once the PQI cements itself into that getting out of it is a complete quagmire. If you play other, say, Thieves, you just dig yourself in deeper, and if you play what the PQI wants you're stuck in a complete rut. And if you don't it's just stuck there and won't change untill you do it.

This is why I fast-forwarded so much stuff, I wanted to get things out of my PQI so I had to play it but when it's the 10th or whatever same thing in a row it's long past the point where you can enjoy a run but you have to do it because you can't reset - if this was my first profile and I played this many Goblin Thieves I it would be years before the PQI would set me up with one. It just "malfunctions" naturally after a while - it's probably been actual years since I've played a halfling or gnome thief, but it could also be years before the PQI notices. (It took spamming Orc Wizards on every flame for several weeks before the PQI would give me a Dwarf. And I only avoided them because their immense power was boring me anyway!)

It's a real problem for long time fans and users, tbh, and it's kind of worse because the wiki has been recommending class and race combos in rather exclusive sounding ways all this time, and following that will have you end up with a supremely monotonous PQI. A non-monotonous one would keep people playing long after completion. I know hacking or fiddling with the game in any way isn't endorsed, and I don't really support it, but if I don't at some point find the way to reset the PQI manually I'll be stuck with it just endlessly running the same things at me on every profile I make for the rest of my life, and if I do I'd be able to enjoy it for giving me varied challenges all the time (well, that feature of it but it's a big feature for a long time player) and keep me playing for, well, I think I couldn't really get bored with it ever if that worked.

So either a cap or a timed wipe or something. If it's counting all the humans in class challenges and the early kingdom, that's also pretty counterproductive, too.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons