[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 390: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Lynzkar attempts to rainbow vicious dungeons, a DD diary

Lynzkar attempts to rainbow vicious dungeons, a DD diary

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Demonic Library & Namatar's Lair

Postby Blovski on Wed May 20, 2015 4:08 pm

Just got Hoarder, Faithless and VT (and like 17 classes...) to go on this one. I've tried Hoarder Gnome Assassin (JJ) which went pretty well but then the loss of an inventory slot, Apheelsik and Namtar's Body kind of left me understocked and and a VT Orc one (Binlor into Taurog into EM), which did great up til the Underworld's first form, which just flattened me. Welp, time to keep plugging away, amusing trying to do silly challenges with the Assassin since I've not completed it with him yet.
Blovski

Postby Tinker on Wed May 20, 2015 5:01 pm

I did VT with the TT Elf Assassin. I found PISORF and that made quick work of Form 4; killed all other forms with fireballs. There's probably a brag around somewhere with the screen, but it wasn't anything special, the usual L1 map-reveal, start bossfight at L2, level-up + Piety farm via multiple Learnings.
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Blovski on Wed May 20, 2015 5:45 pm

Ah, makes sense, I figured Assassins and potion transmuters could probably do it. I'd been trying to wangle regen fighting into it but TT is probably better. Tempted to say the Priest or ever-reliable Crusader is the obvious candidate but I've already got those.
Blovski

Postby Lynzkar on Wed May 20, 2015 6:56 pm

I am the king of the rats now! Bow before me, peasants.
Class-suggestions, with sprites
Lynzkar

Postby Blovski on Wed May 20, 2015 7:13 pm

OK, the halfling transmuter attempts to nab the VT for NL... made it to form 3 on the first run with some *very* weird (incomprehensible) Mystera punishments topside putting a stop to it and about halfway through form 4 on the second (bizarre situation of fighting the boss with potions and using getindare to regain Dracul piety). Second run went a lot better than the first. Ideal situation would be Binlor -> EM -> Taurog or GG but doesn't seem to be happening. I know I'd have flat out killed it without the VT.

Maybe JJ is a better choice than Binlor for this very silly approach but hard to think about taking the first forms without the MR. I'm faintly aware that Gnome is probably also better because Fireballs are king BUT THAT'S TEDIOUS.

Edit: JJ Halfling didn't *quite* make it but that was more not getting the Kegs of Mana/Health I was hoping for and being too dumb to spend a potion topside to guarantee a level up on the Phys Res form (and a little waste thanks to a Mana Snake being annoying). Probably doable with better play.

Yes, my personal vendetta is now to do NL VT with a halfling transmuter... god knows why.
Blovski

Postby Lynzkar on Thu May 21, 2015 7:06 am

I did a PQI and moved it to namtar's lair.
Faithless and Priest down!

I acctualy recommend elf priest on namtar's lair strongly, if you can get viper ward + apheelsik or pissorf, the first stage goes down easy. Then just fireball the second and third form. From there on, you probary got enough hp potions to kill the two last bosses with normal attacks only, or if you have pissorf, use it for the enraged hits/death protections.

Edit : Seems I have managed to overlap save files. So I have no longer defeated namtar's lair with Unstoppable & Assassin.

Edit 2: Reclaimed my Unstoppable badge as an Orc Bloodmage
I ended up with waaay more resources than I thought, I has 4 mana potions, 22 charges on my magic ball, and 1 hp potion. The boost health from JJ was extremly usefull with the sanguine (obviously, though more than I had expected)

Edit 3: Really simple Half-dragon run
Lynzkar

Postby Lynzkar on Tue May 26, 2015 11:36 am

Hoarder down,Blapblap. (Tracktor broke down midharvest

Purist achieved!

Warlord, Vampire, Crusader, Monk, Tinker, Goatperson & Vicious Token remaining for rainbow.

Lynzkar

Postby chandl34 on Wed May 27, 2015 5:29 am

I'm about to wrap up Namtar's too. Gorgon and chemist gave me the hardest time.

Gorgon probably cost me 3k to finish. I tried 65% resists + platemail, but Namtar still hit too hard. I tried pissorf, but that went badly. I finally won by going 100% Mystera + fireballs, saving all my conversions to the end. I got lucky with a yendor + unused pactmaker + dracul, that let me switch out of Mystera near the end, to gain 2 effective levels of fireball damage. I didn't realize the depleted BLUDTOPOWA doesn't work. I found it in my subdungeon, but it couldn't be cast with full health. It did work for Mystera mana regen though.

I've just got monk left now, but I bet that'll be easier than my gorgon runs.

Rat was the most fun. I went in with yendor + binlor. and found pactmaker for more resists. I spent all my blackspace moving level 5-7 corroded physical attack mobs to surround Namtar. By the time I ran out, I was able to pissorf them once each to kill the first boss and half of the second. Then I burned him down the rest of the way. I accidentally got punished by binlor at the end, so thankfully I still had potions for the 3rd and 4th forms. It's great beating Namtar's Lair with most of the level 3+ mobs still alive, because I didn't have the resources to kill them.
chandl34

Postby Lynzkar on Wed May 27, 2015 6:45 am

Funny how the Gorgon and Chemist gave you the hardest time. Those were some of my easiest and most fun runs in namatar's, I beat both on my first try.
For Gorgon I got Good Glenrick and Tikki Tooki on my first run, this made it very easy.
It's a long time ago scince I did this, but I recall starting fighting the boss at level 3 with pissorf, using tikki tooki to get levels with all my popcorn. I also used alot of stone heart to get some more resistance, and remove resistances from the Goo Blobs, Frozen Trolls & Shades.
My gorgon run in namatar's:

__
For the chemist I went with pissorf again. Went manaform for piety farm from bilnor, spammed stone skin for resistances. Then i went over to tikki tooki. at level 3 I started to use pissorf to kill namatar. Used popcorn + tiki's edge & goblin's conversion bonus to level up and get the first form down. For the second form I used reflex + quicksilver from tikki tooki. Third form I used burndayraz, obviously. And then the rest was just pissorf. I think I converted bysseps to level up while fighting the third form as it was no longer a must, as I'd use pissorf on his last forms. Though I'm sure it can be convienent to keep all the way thruough, I simply did not find it nessecary.
My Chemist run in namatar's:

To sum it up, tikki tooki is an amazing diety on namtar's from my exprience. I ended up using bilnor to tikki tooki on my purist run as orc theif as well, again I beat that on first try. (Though I had tried to go for purist as orc wizard a couple of times earlier)

Edit : Did a run as Orc Warlord to get Warlord down. Again found Tikki Tooki, made the run really easy. If you can get binlor then tikki tooki, you are probary going to have an easy run on namtar's.
Lynzkar

Postby chandl34 on Wed May 27, 2015 9:17 pm

Yeah, I try not to do PISSORF strats unless that's the only thing the map gives me, or I'm playing the rat.

Chemist's lack of instant health/mana regen and gorgon's general wimpiness made for some tough fights. Most of my Namtar's strategies were either JJ + giving Namtar a straight beatdown or Mystera + fireballing the first two forms. Gorgon's can't be elves, so they didn't have the huge mana advantage most of my Mystera builds had.

*edit*
Monk wasn't too bad. I got the strategy wrong the first few times. I went in with Binlor, Elven Boots, Bear Mace, Quest Items, Flame Magnet. I bought Platemail, Soul Orb, and farmed enough piety for knockback and ~30 resists, then switched to EM. I regen-fought the 1st form, then burned down the second form with clearances. The last forms still put up a fight, but I had plenty of resources left for them, and a death protection.
chandl34

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons