Vineform

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Vineform

Postby caviar on Wed May 13, 2015 5:44 pm

Crazy vineform stacking is one of my biggest reasons for loving EM. No beads clogging up your inventory, and you get to keep your potions at that! It's a strange way to approach the game, but it's dangerously strong with the right setup. The things a halfling assassin can do with a dwarven HP pool and 16-17 DR under his belt... :D That said, going balls-to-the-wall with vineform generally doesn't pay off unless you 1) prep for it (eg. bring the titan guitar for more maneuvering space), and 2) choose a map without a lot of chokepoints (eg. not something like the dragon isles/doubledoom layouts) where the plants may put your run to an abrupt end.

As far as less extreme scenarios go - EM is one of those generalist deities I'm inclined to worship on pretty much any purist run if I run into her early, especially on guys like the fighter and the bloodmage who usually struggle with the earlygame. A couple of vineforms/greenbloods to ease getting higher-level kills, which is further complimented by the IMAWAL boost. At least one entanglement to double level 1 popcorn value, and then, if I don't want to reap the reward of my plant-spawning labor by means of clearance, get out of there by petrifying a couple of plants. The whole EM package just works out so nicely for a monotheistic approach. Granted, as mentioned in the paragraph above, that we're not talking about some of the more cramped maps, anyway. She's a high-risk high-reward deity in a way; do you dare taking that extra greenblood at the risk of walling off some blackspace?
caviar

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons