[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - [Wiki Class Discussion] Berserker

[Wiki Class Discussion] Berserker

All things Desktop Dungeons

[Wiki Class Discussion] Berserker

Postby Blovski on Sat May 16, 2015 1:44 pm

Article here

Class features - seem up to date

Races - the ones there are mostly good, though I'd argue that Humans and Orcs are tied on purist because Orcs have a better early game, which is what Purist runs benefit the most from imho.

Elf - the Elf bonus does make it easier for berserkers to employ glyphs like Cydstepp, but unless you can get Mystera's mystic balance boon, their racial bonus is not terribly synergistic with a Berserker. With MB you can play more or less as a hybrid.
Gnome - Gnomes make for very credible berserkers if you can acquire a Trisword or an Alchemist's Scroll.
Dwarf - Not loads, really. Berserkers make decent Dwarves, focus on %-based refills such as Sanguine, potions and Protection.

Strategy - Apheelsik references are clearly outdated and should be scrapped, and there's no mention of Curse management at all. Also, nowt about resist stacking or Cleansing, both of which Berserkers get an unusual amount out of.

Obviously, will be written up to a decent standard once we've got a notion going about what's important to go in and what's superfluous/over-explanation.

---

Does anyone have a number for the exact thresholds and levels at which Orcs overtake Human Berserkers? I mean, with the inbuilt 40% damage against higher level enemies, this is one case where the high-level vs. low-level distinction isn't as strongly in favour of the Human. I'd do it but I'm bad at maths.
Last edited by Blovski on Sat May 16, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blovski

Re: [Wiki Class Discussion] Berserker

Postby Astral on Sat May 16, 2015 2:41 pm

I'm not sure I understand your question. When we compare Orcs and Humans, Orcs start out stronger and if you're not focused on att% bonuses Humans have the chance to catch up and overtake them in the late game. With no base damage sources available, Orcs need 100% attack bonus to make sure they are equally strong at lvl 10 as Humans with the same amount of CP converted. Anything more, and they are flat out better. If you can get swords the equality point raises from 100%.

With additional attack boosters and the Perseverance Badge it's trivial prepping up to reach the 100% threshold.

Just to mention, KB counts towards the equality point too, so on any run you prep Binlor with the intent of taking his attack boons Orcs are better than Humans.
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Lynzkar on Sat May 16, 2015 3:05 pm

I am the king of the rats now! Bow before me, peasants.
Class-suggestions, with sprites
Lynzkar

Postby Astral on Sat May 16, 2015 3:18 pm

Actually they get 25% more conversions. Because 400 CP gives 4 Human conversion bonuses or 5 Orcish ones.
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Blovski on Sat May 16, 2015 5:25 pm

Blovski

Postby Tinker on Sat May 16, 2015 7:08 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Lynzkar on Sat May 16, 2015 7:26 pm

I don't really have much detailed strategy to come with, but when playing berzerker, I usualy go with orc or halfling.
For halfling I usualy also prep JJ for the massive hp pool. I usualy pick orc over humans because the orcs start with that +20% damage, and for most dungeons this will help me get higher damage than I would as human, unless you get skullpicker, fine sword and/or tri-sword.
Lynzkar

Postby Blovski on Sat May 16, 2015 7:35 pm

Yeah, absolutely on the Orc vs. Human point. Surely with a Taurogzerker and a Bear Mace you can hit 125% (40 boosters, 25 mace, 20 Taurog, 20 Berserker, 20 vs Higher level) against higher-level enemies (With Binlor it's more like, what, a massive 175% or so assuming you can chain-bash them into walls), and obviously at lower levels the attack bonus threshold is much lower.

I agree that there's a bit more to add and the GG interaction is certainly worth noting. I think the important thing is to restrict it to specific interactions and general outlines (hence, Namtar's Ward and Dragon Shield would not exactly be more relevant, really, to a Gnome Berserker than to anyone else, while a Trisword or Alchemist's Scroll would be - that said, it shouldn't be written in an overly prescriptive way like my sample text was).

I am not looking forwards to the Transmuter page's strategy section. No sirree.
Blovski

Postby Tinker on Sat May 16, 2015 8:41 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Lynzkar on Sat May 16, 2015 8:52 pm

Lynzkar

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons