[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - How can you win with Monk??

How can you win with Monk??

All things Desktop Dungeons

Postby Rivozzz on Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:12 pm

All his stats are horrible and negative..How can i win by him..What is the build required..He is veeeeery weak. I only need him to unlock dungeons
Rivozzz

Re: How can you win with Monk??

Postby Darvin on Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:19 pm

If you have it unlocked, the Orc race goes a long ways to making the Monk better. Human is a passable alternative if you don't have Orcs available, but the idea is to use the racial bonus to counteract his damage penalty. Items can also be helpful in this regard.

Use the Monk's fast hit point regeneration to recover health during combat. Due to that fast regeneration you will heal faster than most monsters, and with your damage resistance you can tank a lot of hits with relatively little hit points. You may deal little damage per strike, but you can get lots of strikes. Items that rack up effects on-hit, such as Whurrgarbl, the Venom Dagger, or Martyr Wraps are very good if you have them. Items to increase your damage are also very welcome if you can find some.
Darvin

Postby Blovski on Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:26 pm

Monk is generally regarded as one of the stronger classes but it's a bit confusing to start with.

Take a human or an orc (Orcs have an easier start, Humans are potentially stronger late game), pick a god or items that increase damage. The monk's advantages are 50% physical resistance and double health regeneration, which, if you make up for the lousy damage, lets you grind opponents down by hitting them, exploring to heal and repeating it.

With monks especially, having blackspace left over is one of your key resources, so try to avoid exploring everything before you fight the boss.

Edit: listen to Darvin, he's better at explaining this stuff than me : )
Blovski

Postby Darvin on Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:48 pm

Darvin

Postby Tinker on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:25 pm

Monks prefer to fight monsters that deal physical damage, and do not inflict debilitating statuses like poison or weakness. The ideal target deals low damage, like the Meat Men. Since you deal cca. half damage, but take only half damage as well from physical damage sources, the double regeneration is pushing the scale in your favor. You should be able to effectively "regen-fight" even higher level monsters.

To regen-fight, attack the monster enough times not to die, and then explore a few tiles to regenerate your health (and also the monster's health!). This technique only works if you are able to regenerate the damage the monster does to you in fewer tiles, than in which the monster can regenerate the damage you do to it. There's some math involved, but you can just experiment with this, and you'll find the right targets after a test game or two.

Magical damage monsters are more difficult because you do not have any inherent magical resistances.

There's a little bit of info on the Monk Wiki page, though I'm not sure it goes into enough detail on everything. Still worth a shot though.
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Blovski on Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:11 pm

Blovski

Postby Rivozzz on Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:11 pm

I won by him, but extremely annoying.
Because all dungeon was Magical attacks with physical resistemce even the BoSS

I had to take a Gnome and boost my mana, to be able to kill the boss..as i must use monk to defeat dungeon

Physcial attak work for some allies, but the boss and big allies are magical so it is aganist your benifit and it is requires to use him..

I love Priest halfing, and Sorcercer genome, do things good, and that class which attacks first..
Rivozzz

Postby Lujo on Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:29 pm

If you've got a non-Orc Monk to do, prep Martyr Wraps on them. Monks are backloaded as hell, get levels on them any way you can. Prep attack boosters, too.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Astral on Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:48 pm

If you're ever unsure whether you can regen-fight a monster or not and want to avoid wasting blackspace, you can find out by calculating the attritions. Attrition = damage done to opponent (just read it from the predictor to skip resistance calculations) * your regeneration (usually the level of the character, unless you have double regen).

If your attrition is higher than your opponent's you can regen-fight it. When measuring attritions what matters is their ratio not the difference. The higher the ratio, the more efficient it will be, so you will be done with less blackspace consumed.

There are a plethora of ways to increase your attrition: increasing resistances, damage, regeneration, using a damage or healing glyph... Leveling up is really important as it boosts both damage and regeneration, so if you've decide to kill your boss with this method the closer you are to lvl 10 the better it is.

Just to mention regen-fighting is not unique to Monks any character with good resistances or just insane damage can do it. If you ever notice that your lvl 10 hero has more damage than your boss, it's a dead giveaway you can regen-fight it. The best thing about regen-fighting a boss (or any other monster) is that so long you have blackpsace you caan ignore the health of the target. Other fighting methods cannot do this, they have a cap how much damage they can output, but not regen-fighting :)
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Darvin on Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:05 pm

Darvin

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons