[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - (Nearly) Forgotten Beta Dungeons

(Nearly) Forgotten Beta Dungeons

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: (Nearly) Forgotten Beta Dungeons

Postby Lujo on Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:10 pm

What I meant was that most of those beta those dungeons were plainly unfair, and the difficulty was a lot higher. But the resident powergamers seemed to take that at face value, like, that was supposed to be it. That changed drastically by the end of the beta (because it was like that as far as I know just to catch runaway degenerate strats), but the wiki was mostly written (and sorta skewed towards) that kind of meta. The whole "recommended" class thing, and "optimal" ways to play and all sorts of stuff is a relic from that age, etc.

It wasn't a shift in design, it was a shift in... well, when it was done it wasn't a game for a select few lunatic powergamers but quite approachable to the general public (well, a lot more than it was). It was a huge change. The way the wiki is layed out and a lot about it simply isn't right for the game that DD is right now (and wasn't for quite a while, except things kept changing towards the end of the beta so we kept putting off reworking it untill we never actually did it and it was sorta abandoned even by Darvin XD)
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:47 pm

Darvin

Postby Sidestepper on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:39 am

As long as we're exhuming ancient horrors, you guys remember the old Animated Armors? They had higher stats than they do now, and they did not lose attack power as you stripped away their protections. They were harder than most bosses.

The Berserker Camp used to have this monster called the Frozen Corpse (or something similar). I don't remember much about them, other than that they were really difficult. I think they had absurd resistances and maybe some other power. They were basically untouchable.

Speaking of the Berserker Camp, the Complicated Tasks quest that takes place there used to be way harder. You had to get Warmonger with a Wizard instead of a Sorceror, and this was back when Wizards had a -15% penalty on attack power. The boss was much stronger. It was a really hard quest. I only beat it once, and it required intense scumming to accomplish.
Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:53 am

Yeah, the difficulty of doing complicated tasks and simmilar stuff in unfair dungeons was a big concern.

And yeah - old AA's. I don't remember if they were actually much tougher, but they didn't go down when you knocked protections off and any dungeon with them in it was brutal. They used to be in Dragon Isles, I shudder when I remember.

EDIT: An AA thing - they kinda carried over their high damage stat from the alpha, but they also had HP in the beta, which they didn't in alpha. And they were kinda sorta balanced for not having any HP only DP's (and were kind of a one-dungeon gimmick). Naturally they were horrors when they got actual HP to go with the damage...
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Astral on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:05 pm

Frozen Corpses are still in the game, but thankfully restricted to the Assassin class challenges.
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby 991woot119 on Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:56 am

991woot119

Postby Nurator on Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:24 am

Is there in some backup maybe an ancient version of the game that we could run? That would be totally awesome^^
Nurator

Postby TigerKnee on Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:04 am

TigerKnee

Postby Darvin on Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:20 pm

Darvin

Postby chandl34 on Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:14 pm

While working on my Naga City completion, I looked at this old guide again. http://www.qcfdesign.com/wiki/DesktopDu ... _Naga_City

Those are some insane stats, without even seeing his resists. Could all classes do that, or was it something with the transmuter?
chandl34

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons