Death warning for touch devices

All things Desktop Dungeons

Death warning for touch devices

Postby expostfacto on Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:42 am

I've owned Desktop Dungeons since 2012, but I've switched to playing primarily on my iPad for convenience.

I'm starting to reconsider this though after a series of frustrating deaths when it misinterprets a "do nothing" lift off of the radial menu as selecting the fight option. (This is particularly likely when the enemy is at the top of the screen, since the menu generates lower than usual.)

I've also had a couple deaths due to my finger brushing the "fight" button a second time, resulting in a double attack and death.

Yes, you can blame user error but it's not fun taking an extra three seconds for every move to make sure it's doing what you think it is. And even then you will slip occasionally. It really sucks losing an hour of play to a UI quirk.

Please consider adding an optional confirmation dialogue for touch devices.
expostfacto

Re: Death warning for touch devices

Postby 023 on Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:35 am

Would it be rogue-like if you receive a confirmation dialogue to prevent death?

Postby Tinker on Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:51 am

I don't think Death Warning in general will make it into DD at this point. Given the strong Dev responses from the earlier threads this has been mentioned in (for example: here, here, here, here or here), and given how DD is no longer being developed, only supported.

When I played on a mobile device I turned off the Radial menu, and used the drawer interface exclusively...
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby EvilTwinSkippy on Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:35 pm

Oddly, since I don't use the radial menu (and thus must click way over there after tagging a monster to do something to it), I have more trouble with the online version.

I am used to being able to click on things and NOT have it attack.

If I were you I would just not use the radial menu.
EvilTwinSkippy

Postby letsdance on Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:39 pm

i stopped playing dd about half a year ago (after one play-through minus 2-3 of the post-win dungeons), because of accidental deaths (PC version in my case).

some games are cool, but have too many bugs. others have clunky interfaces. DD has accidental deaths that killed the fun for me. kinda sad that in this case it's an intended feature. i checked back here to see if there's by chance any news on that topic, but didn't expect it. well, i can still hope =)
letsdance

Postby ~'(^ + ^)'~ on Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:43 pm

Well, changing to attack on right click seems to have eliminated most of the accidental deaths (I only had it 2 times since I have changed to this).

Have you tried this?
~'(^ + ^)'~

Postby Tinker on Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:23 pm

On top of disabling the radial menu and switching to right-click attack, you can do stuff in-game too; preparations Cracked Soul Orb and Namtar's Ward give you death protections regardless of class, I've been using the Cracked Soul Orb on most of my late-game runs (except for some high-difficulty VGT / Triple Quest runs, where I absolutely needed that guild prep slot).
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Return to Desktop Dungeons