[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Acquiring Money

Acquiring Money

All things Desktop Dungeons

Acquiring Money

Postby Zazzlegut on Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:04 pm

I just got my bank up to level 3 and have about 6500 gold in it. I see that further upgrades cost 10,000+ gold.

Are there ways I have not yet discovered in DD to acquire large sums of gold? Where I am now, the best rewards for completing a dungeon are about 500 gold. Deducting prep costs, I might make around 400 gold net per dungeon. That will result in a lot of games played to afford more upgrades...especially when you factor in how many times I'll lose.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game and wish I had more time to play it. I'd really like to get extra locker slots but it's going to take months at the rate I'm going.

Am I missing anything that brings in money faster?

Avariciously yours,

Pecunious Z
Zazzlegut

Re: Acquiring Money

Postby Blovski on Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:17 pm

IIRC,

1. Bet on Boss prep.
2. Dailies give you some gold /5 tries.
3. there are a few endgame things but they're probably not relevant here. In the meantime, if you've not done the puzzles you can get a bit of gold there.
4. There are rewards for completing dungeons with half/all of classes. Don't know how much that helps.
5. Quests

There's not a huge amount of need to get all the further bank upgrades at that point but those should be the ways to get money. Basically treat upgrades once you've got all the important stuff (classes, etc) as a luxury.
Blovski

Postby ~'(^ + ^)'~ on Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:20 pm

1. Always prep Bet on Boss.
2. Go with minimal preps - i.e. only the ones you need, Like a Bear Mace, Extra Atk boosters, etc.
3. Game the system - Races like Gnome, Halfling where you can convert and gain lots of potions.
4. Game the system - Certain classes like Tinker comes to mind, transmute, translocate items, etc.
5. Find a map where you can complete fast - the inner ring ones and just keep aiming for fast completions.
6. Gods abuse - Prepping TT, using him at the end, mop up phase, kill creeps for piety, gain gold from piety.
Converting 1 Health potion to a Set of the 2 potions also earns you 4 gold I think (potion sells for 10, the
2 sell for 7 each) - but if you have spare piety just dump them all into Learning and Dodge first.

That's what I have on top of my mind, maybe others can give more tips.
~'(^ + ^)'~

Postby EvilTwinSkippy on Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:30 pm

(At least on the Ipad version)

There is always (so far) one location with an animated fire on it. If you finish that dungeon (doesn't matter how), you get a large bonus.

I have no idea why this is a thing, but it works.
EvilTwinSkippy

Postby Darvin on Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:10 pm

Hi Zazzlegut. I'm not sure of your state in game progression, but if you haven't beaten Horatio in Gaan-Telet that is definitely your top priority. Trophy prices will bounce back up to 150 GP a piece after he's defeated.

If you've defeated Horatio then the "burning" dungeon should be appearing for you, and has significantly higher gold rewards. When combined with bet on the boss, these are some of the easiest way to farm for gold. To further increase your margins, I'd suggest playing as an Orc Warlord, prepping the Fine Sword, extra attack boosters, bet on the boss, and either Glowing Guardian or Jehora Jeheyu depending on the dungeon and preference. This combination has a very low preparation cost, but is simultaneously very reliable at winning and can quickly farm up large quantities of gold. Heck, it's even a good speed-running combo so you can whip through one dungeon to the next very quickly.

If you want a large influx of cash and are ready for a challenge, then tackling Vicious Gaan-Telet is by far your best bet. The 9999 gold pieces for completing it is unmatched by any other gold reward in the game, plus your first VGT win is a pretty big milestone. The easiest way to defeat Vicious Gaan-Telet is with the Vampire class. To unlock the Vampire, you will need to defeat Vicious Halls of Steel with three different classes, which is itself unlocked by defeating regular Halls of Steel with four different classes.

Before we get started, there are a few things you should unlock if you haven't already done so. The Can of WHUPAZ, unlocked by completing all 6 of the witch's challenges, is going to be very, very useful for both Vicious Halls of Steel and Vicious Gaan-Telet, so make sure you do that first. There are a few class challenges that offer very useful items for the vampire: Platemail (Fighter Silver), Vampiric Blade (Bloodmage silver), and Gloves of Midas (Rogue Silver). Finally, swing by Havensdale Bridge and pick up the Sensation Stone. It's lockerable, and a good preparation choice for Vampires. Platemail or Dwarven Gauntlets also make good choices, if you don't want to waste locker space on the sensation stone.

Regular Halls of Steel is pretty straightforward. It always contains the Orb of Lusory, which offers 50% magic resistance. Due to the large number of magic-resistant foes on this dungeon floor and the fact that the preset boss is himself a magic damage dealer virtually any class can breeze through here easily if they find the Orb early and the second boss is favorable. Vicious Halls of Steel is another matter, as there is no Orb of Lusory and the bosses are very tough. Make sure to prep WHUPAZ and a Burn Cure, and the Bear Mace is very helpful. I'd recommend Sorcerer, Monk, Berserker, and Wizard as your four classes of choice here, but there are a lot of approaches you can choose. Defeat Indomitable first, then go after BlahBlah. The vampire's teleportation means you need to have the top level mostly if not entirely explored to pursue him.

Now that you've unlocked the Vampire, take some time to practice and get a feel for him, since he's very weird. Past level 2 or 3 you basically can't "walk it off" and exploring is a very inefficient means of recovering health. Instead you want to cultivate blood cows: monsters tough enough to survive an attack, but weak enough that your lifesteal exceeds their damage output. Meat Men are obviously the most ideal blood cows, but Dragonspawn and Serpents also work well. The platemail is obviously invaluable, since it gives a flat damage reduction that makes blood cows easy to harvest. Remember, you don't explore to let yourself heal, you explore to let your blood cows recover for the next harvest.

Once you have a sense for the Vampire, it's time to go to Vicious Gaan-Telet. I'd recommend the following preps: Sensation Stone, Smuggler's Den, extra attack boosters, quest items, compression seal, perseverance badge, and a potion loadout of WHUPAZ, Quicksilver, Reflex, and Burn Cure. You want to carefully find and cultivate blood cows to help you work your way through the levels of Gaan-Telet. For the most part, anything that doesn't directly play to your strengths should just get converted. There are a few things to be mindful of in Gaan-Telet. At some point, one of the floors is going to have bloodless foes; this is going to strain your blood cows since you're not getting normal healing from regular foes. Second, there is a statue enemy on one floor that deals corrosion and weakening. The upshot is that this thing is an awesome blood cow since it deals no damage, and can be used to easily beat the other monsters on the floor. The downside is that corrosion and weakening sucks for Vampire, so you'll want to pop a burn cure salve immediately after (hence why it's prepped). You will want to buy a fortitude tonic to cure the weakening, but make sure you've dealt with the Illusion, a monster that will also be encountered once as you traverse through Gaan-Telet, so you can clear the weakening of both monsters in one shot. Feel free to use your Quicksilver and Reflex whenever you get in a bind; they work well for the Vampire since the free hits heal you up from lifesteal, but save the WHUPAZ for Horatio.

If you choose to pursue this quest, good luck.
Darvin

Postby Tinker on Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:44 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Darvin on Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:13 pm

Darvin

Postby Tinker on Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:36 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker