The great return locker debate thread!

All things Desktop Dungeons

The great return locker debate thread!

Postby MTaur on Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:03 pm

I can only ban one item at the moment. What should I put in there?

I just did a run and picked up Venom Dagger and Rock Heart specifically for the purpose. (Yeah, sometimes Rock Heart is good, but lots of other stuff is as good or better whenever Rock Heart is good. I would rather prep Platemail on a Gorgon, for example.)
MTaur

Re: The great return locker debate thread!

Postby fall_ark on Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:05 pm

Now that you mentioned it, Rock Heart seems like a good choice. In fact I can't remember the last time I bought that for usage. It's still great conversion fodder though.
Personally I banned Stone Sigil. Sure it might be nice if you buy it near the entrance, but most likely you won't get much out of it, and it's terrible conversion-wise. I've bought it quite a few times in dailies though.
fall_ark

Postby MTaur on Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:10 pm

I haven't even unlocked Stone Sigil. Way ahead of you. :)
MTaur

Postby William on Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:46 pm

Well, if you don't like/need either, Rock heart gives better CP/gold, so perhaps veto Venom Dagger? :)
"Because Goatperson"
William

Postby Tinker on Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:35 pm

Stone Sigil is probably a good pick. It got a boost with the EE patch, but I still consider it one of the worst items in the game. On the one hand, it's cp/gp ratio is just above 2, so below average (which is above 2,5), so it's not something you'd pick up for its conversion point value. On the other hand, the effect is mediocre... unless you stumble upon it very early, and unless you are fine to get a trickling of piety throughout the run, you're much better off with Agnostic Collar which affords you a sudden Piety boost, or any other item that helps you do things that generate piety / win.

In my opinion, Stone Sigil would need a significant CP-value boost to make it a useful item (if it would have CP/GP of 4+, it would be an awesome item, because it would not matter when you find it - early you'd get more effect; late you'd still get something, plus be able to convert it well).
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Darvin on Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:44 pm

Venom Dagger still has above-average CP value, but it is a pretty mediocre item in most situations. I have to agree with Tinker about Stone Sigil. Low CP, effect requires you to find it early to get good value, but too weak to justify as a locker item. Prior to EE, I'd say the Spoon would also be a great veto choice. The item is great for its cost, but the effect is so small that I'd rather have a re-roll for something better. It's quite good for Rat Monarch who loves cheap junk, so it's no longer as obvious a veto choice.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:00 pm

Venom Dagger is way too niche in most cases. It really kinda depends on what you're looking for, having just one slot doesn't let you do tactical RNG rigging which is kinda the best thing to do with the slots.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby MTaur on Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:17 pm

For now it's Rock Heart. It was a tough call. It's a large item, but it has good CP value - the opposite of Venom Dagger (which isn't terrible for CP, but still inferior on that count). There are simply too many more cases where I might use Venom Dagger a little bit, even if it's not run-makingly great. And I'm usually not really desperate to buy CP for the sake of CP, even if it's the bronze medalist.
MTaur

Return to Desktop Dungeons