[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 390: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Who Do You Think is the Best Race/Class Combo

Who Do You Think is the Best Race/Class Combo

All things Desktop Dungeons

Who Do You Think is the Best Race/Class Combo

Postby Darvin on Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:55 pm

So, let's have some fun folks: what do you think is the best (where "best" is defined however you like) race/class combo in the game? And yes, monster classes can be nominated. You can make only one nomination, though, so choose wisely. I'll add nominations here as appropriate.

ImageGnome Sorcerer - 2 nominations
Image Goblin Assassin - 2 nominations
ImageImageWizard - 2 nominations; 1 Gnome, 1 Orc
ImageOrc Chemist - 1 nomination
ImageOrc Rogue - 1 nomination
ImageOrc Crusader - 1 nomination
ImageHalfling Transmuter - 1 nomination
ImageOrc Thief - 1 nomination
ImageDwarf Warlord - 1 nomination
ImageGnome Tinker - 1 nomination
Last edited by Darvin on Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:33 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Darvin

Re: Who Do You Think is the Best Race/Class Combo

Postby Tinker on Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:48 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Darvin on Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:21 pm

Image Goblin Assassin

The Assassin is an awesome class that comes across as a great overall package. Poisoned Blade and Light Foot make for a diverse skill set that lets the Assassin level up in a variety of ways, while Swift Hands gives him a brutal end-game to look forward for. His ability to effortlessly exterminate mooks and focus his full attention on the boss is really unmatched amongst the other classes; who else can seriously treat 9th level VT monsters as popcorn? Even before considering race, Assassin is top notch. His synergy with the Goblin, however, is outright exquisite. With the ability to guarantee level-ups, a Goblin Assassin can ramp up to 10th level virtually independent of the dungeon's difficulty or layout. While he doesn't perform quite as well on long endurance slogs, there are very few dungeons long enough to exhaust a Goblin Assassin (just VGT and Naga City, basically). Minor imperfections on a race/class combo that can confidently walk into almost any dungeon with vicious token in hand.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:11 pm

I'd add the pic if I knew how to, but I nominate:

Dwarf Warlord

It's an incredible combination because it allows you to use whatever you find lying around to great effect, while at the same time being highly concentrated on key cheezy stuff (cydstepp abuse and cheezy endgames). Warlord's race is ussually an afterthought anyway (tack EM on and you're good), while dwarf's class is just a means to an end (getting dwarf leveled up and thus fat). Even though one is a damage based caster type, and the other is a late game health guy, the nice overlap around liking Earthmother is great. Branching out into actual casting is perfectly viable (a bit of spellcastery buildup is quite fine on a warlord who's techincally a caster). After playing around with everything a lot, I have to say that these guys feel like the best race/class combo to play DD with, rewarding, powerful and flexible and yet play with an incredible ammount of different elements. I like many other things, and there's certainly more single minded stuff out there, but when it comes to having the best experience and fully enjoying your vicious dungeon runs these guys take the cake for me. (Funnily enough I don't feel this way about most other warlords at all XD)

Runnerups:
Last edited by Lujo on Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:21 pm

Darvin

Postby Lynzkar on Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:01 pm

I am the king of the rats now! Bow before me, peasants.
Class-suggestions, with sprites
Lynzkar

Postby Blovski on Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:03 pm

I think Halfling (spike of ultimate doom)/Gnome (reliability) Transmuters and Transmuters in general are massively underrated. So, Halfling Transmuter for my nomination.

For raw power, the Gnome Bloodmage or any Sorceror is the business. Orc Rogues are super-ridiculous-strong but I've not had much chance to play them lately. Assassins are phenomenally strong. Elf Chemists are the most fun to play for me. I love all Paladins, especially the Dwarf of GG and EM Paladins. Thieves are very strong, Priests (Orc with Elite Items, Halfling with Naga Cauldron) are underrated, Orc Wizard, Elf Fighter. Basically it's astonishing that all the classes are fun and balanced and unique and it's a bloody awesome game.
Blovski

Postby squirrelnest on Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:23 am

Image!
squirrelnest

Postby Rob1221 on Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:32 am

The crusader isn't one of my most played classes, but after some vicious wins, especially in VT Naga City, I've grown to appreciate how useful those immunities and the extra altar are. The momentum damage is very useful for leveling especially when paired with PISORF, and both of those things work well with an Orc.
Rob1221

Postby eastless on Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:21 pm

Just because I like Warmongering flaming dungeons in 5 minutes with Taurog, Namtar's Ward and L1-3 bosskills. 8-)
eastless

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons