[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 390: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - General-purpose thread of secret shame!

General-purpose thread of secret shame!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: General-purpose thread of secret shame!

Postby eastless on Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:32 pm

eastless

Postby Darvin on Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:05 pm

Darvin

Postby William on Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:36 am

"Because Goatperson"
William

Postby William on Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:39 am

Recently, every time I play a Berserker, I mix up it's abilities with those of a Crusader. I keep wondering why my attack bonus % does not rise with popcorn kills. :oops: I even played today's daily (Goblin Berserker in Den of Danger) like I would play a Crusader. :roll:
"Because Goatperson"
William

Postby Lujo on Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:31 am

I used to be absolutely a serial whoopaz forgotter.

Also I generally tend to item-cheeze through monster classess. I don't think I've played maybe one or two proper Vampires and Gorgons on my last full playthrough. It's a bit of a shame because they're kinda tricky to pull off, but very rewarding as a general experience. But post poison rework Gorgon just took the will out of me.

Oh, and I'd probably list the "habitually drops dead and takes a while to work out what happened on the retaliate fireball floor in VGT". So much and so regularly that I'm sorta convinced it's not me but that that floor label is generally misguiding. "You feel your magic withering slightly" implies many things (for example a mass magic resistance floor, or a floor where your spells cost more or do less), but it just doesn't read as "You'll drop dead here for the 100th time if you use a fireball" no matter how many times I see it. Might be just me, might be too few people are even playing VGT enough to notice that it kind of always fails at indicating what floor you're on well enough... I read a few posts back that Tinker is getting annoyed at this and the retaliate trait in general, but I'm pretty sure it's the wording on that floor sign. Other floors never catch me off guard, and other retaliate situations don't either. So I'm kinda on the fence as to whether there's anything to be ashamed about there, which is just forcing myself to be very polite about saying I'm 100% unshakably certain that that popup is terrible at it's job. It's very difficult to die in DD by default, a place where even the leet of the leet die regularly is more indicative of a visual bug sort of thing or a easy to induce memory leak sort of situation or defficiency in conveying info than a fault of the players. I've played VGT a lot in a chrashstorm patch where "game crashes you die" was pretty much 9 out of 10, and that floor just feels a lot like that. Or rather "Oh, the game crashed. Damn." is a lot like "Oh, the game spawned that floor. Damn.", an after-the-fact realisation that the game is over through no real fault of your own and no real idea how you could've affected it. Just the sensation of it.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby William on Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:41 am

Ugh, I just keep on wasting resources. I just used a CA 5 XP before a ding in a daily. :oops:
"Because Goatperson"
William

Postby Tinker on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:43 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby MTaur on Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:45 am

In today's DERP, I knocked Count BlahBlah into the blackspace because I wanted to search for the subdungeon. Which I did find eventually, but it took me 3 or 4 potions just to make up for all of the lifesteal. I could've just converted the Bear Mace after I screwed that up the first time, now that I think of it...
MTaur

Postby eastless on Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:58 am

I have a little secret shame for you: I have no idea how to play pure spellcasters. I mean, seriously. Default fireball is too weak. If you are Wizard or Sorcerer, okay, you can throw may be 4 fireballs, so what? It's still not enough usually to kill someone big, you need to hit it too, but your hits are ridiculous. Yeah, Sorcerer got good heal from spellcasting at early levels, but still. If I'm trying to go in VGT with Gnome Wizard, prepping Dragon Soul, scumming for Mystera, I'm still running out of recources to 3rd floor.
So the only way I discovered for myself to play spellcasters (and these aren't only Mages Guild classes, but also Priests, Monks, Gorgons, Elf/Gnome Tinkers, I also have secret shame about them too, I just can't realize this regenfighting strategy, I need to REVEAL BLACKSPACE to get items, glyphs, monsters, boosters, I can't wait for it) was when I got Avatar's Codex for the first time. Since then all my Wizard/Sorcerer/Bloodmage/Priest/Monk/Gorgon games are like this. (But yeah, Orc Bloodmage of Taurog is an insane melee fighter, not less than any Berserker or Rogue, thanks to plenty healing.)
I just killed all the monsters here, usually it takes 5-10 kills to win a dungeon.
But Mana Burn became a problem now, I didn't unlock Soul Orb yet, just too lazy... But WEYTWUT+Codex and if you a lucky + Orb of Zot truly makes wonders. I did Hoarder in Naga City With Codex Wizard.
eastless

Postby Tinker on Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:04 am

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons