Tool Request

All things Desktop Dungeons

Tool Request

Postby eastless on Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:13 pm

Greetings!
I need some way to count how many games played in current kingdom.
In Steam you can get total time played, but that's not enough.
I guess it's kinda trivial to craft but I'm just not a programmer. :)
And it's gonna be cool to have some extra statistics as well such as
1) Victories/Perished/Bravely run/Restart;
2) Time: 0-10 min; 10-30 min; 30-60 min; 60+ min;
3) Gold: 0-100; 100-500; 500-1000; 1000+;
4) Piety?
5) XP?
6) Damage?
7) Mana?
8) Tiles wasted?
9) Times played each race/class/dungeon/badge?
May be also some DERPs statistics: times played, wins/loses, maximum streak.
So could it be a separate utility or may be modified DD.exe?
This is need for Desktop Dungeons Steam Enchanced Edition.
How much of that is possible? May be first point is enough though (Victories/Perished/Bravely run/Restart).
So, anyone? sitnaltax? :)
I can pay for that, a little. :oops: :)
eastless

Re: Tool Request

Postby Gakato on Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:36 pm

Yeah such a tool would be awesome, actually you are not alone on that front, have a look here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3292
Gakato

Postby eastless on Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:49 pm

Okay, it's cool, as I said I'm not a coder at all, but I'm thinking not about extracting data from game files, but about some program which embedding somehow into the game process, let's say - with every game start, as observer, and just counts various things: runs, runs outcomes, runs details. I hope you got what I mean, sorry for my poor language. :) Is it possible?

Edit: Talked to my father who is programmer about this and he said that it could be very difficult, requiring some sort of decompiling, reverse engineering the game to get into the process... So no one will take up this.

But still, we NEED this kind of tool. Okay, I need it! :)
eastless

Postby sitnaltax on Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:52 am

Yeah, modifying an existing executable to do extra stuff is very tricky.

If someone were going to twist my arm and make me support this feature, I'd write a Fiddler plugin that examines the calls DD makes to desktopdungeons.net, parses them, and outputs the results in some file that could be parsed later. It looks like the client does report an interesting number of stats back to the mothership. But at that point you might as well just ask the devs for stats--they've posted interesting analyses before, they might be convinced to do it again.

Other options would be to write a program that examines the DesktopDungeon executable's memory (yuck) or scrapes the stats window graphically (double yuck). Given the dozens of hours that would be involved in even the simplest cases, I can't imagine any of these options being faster than the 20-30 people that would use it just each independently tracking a spreadsheet.
sitnaltax

Postby eastless on Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:04 am

I see... Barely got it, thanks for explaining!
I was thinking already about some clicks tracking -
click on "Play" button => +1 games played;
click on "Okay"/"Surrender" button => +1 Perished;
click on "Reitre" => +1 Bravely run;
click on trophy/winning stairs to exit => +1 Victory,
click on "Restart" in options/run/perished screen => +1 Restart... But how to recognize which button was clicked?
Okay, I got it, it's too hard to accomplish and simply not worth it, I can just keep txt file or excel table for this, but then I GOT TO stupid manually type into it new numbers, and this is in 21th century... So may be it can be web page with buttons "Victory"/"Perished'/"Bravely run"/"Restart" so I can just click on them and data will be saved. This SHOULD be easy but I'm still not a web coder. :)
Or yeah, I guess devs could just add this option of tracking various stats easily into game, since they've created this and can add whatever they want, and this can't be that hard, and obviously this option is very desirable for some folks like me, may be we should sign a Petition (though it costs 45 Piety, got to farm these first :) ) about this...
eastless

Postby dislekcia on Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:37 pm

It's highly unlikely that we'd add anything like this to the game, especially not now after we're no longer working on it outside of support... Why not just write those stats down as you play yourself?
dislekcia

Postby eastless on Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:42 pm

I can, but I wanted this to be automated. :) Okay, thank you for answering.
eastless

Postby dislekcia on Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:31 pm

Also, seriously, you keep bragging about how you haven't even bought the game. I have no idea why I'd field a request from you... I should be banning you :(
dislekcia

Postby eastless on Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:22 am

I'm not bragging abot that, and did not think it looks so, I did not want to show disrespect. I'm sorry if it happened. I just mentioned it, perhaps too often. I'm going to buy the game soon. :)
eastless

Postby dislekcia on Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:20 pm

You've said you can afford the game, you should buy it rather than hanging out on a developer's forum talking about pirating their work.

We know people pirate DD. (Seriously, just look at how many APK hacks there are floating around on Android) But generally those people have enough presence of mind to not use features and resources made for actual customers.

"Hey, I stole your work! Why don't you want me in your house?" *sigh* That's just not cool dude... I've banned you for a week. You're welcome back when you've bought the game :)
dislekcia

Return to Desktop Dungeons