[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Purist + Vicious Challenge!

Purist + Vicious Challenge!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Purist + Vicious Challenge!

Postby Tinker on Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:42 am

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby ~'(^ + ^)'~ on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:44 pm

No, this isn't an entry for the challenge, just wanted to show how "imba" Elf Wizard would be for Naga City VT (thanks to Tinker for this build, :D ):

It was basically a magic-caster's dream come true: I had Dragon Soul, Mage Plate, Crystal Ball, Blue Bead, and even Bludtopowa! The other 4 glyphs not in the screenshot were Alpheesik, Bludtopowa, Endiswal (from Binlor) and Wonafyt. I also had Gloves of Midas which I converted off to make room for purchasing the Keg of Mana and Yendor.

Well, I did try a variant of the Wizard, Goblin Wizard for the Purist VT challenge and needless to say I didn't go far. I am quite certain Elf Wizard is the most optimal (or only viable) build for the challenge and even this wouldn't be that easy (I am sure Tinker had to 'juggle" things well - god boons, when to kill non-boss mobs to level up, etc.).
~'(^ + ^)'~

Postby Tinker on Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:13 pm

Tinker

Postby ~'(^ + ^)'~ on Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:05 am

~'(^ + ^)'~

Postby Tinker on Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:19 am

Tinker

Postby ~'(^ + ^)'~ on Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:54 pm

This took me around 5+ tries, many of which I ended quite early (The Firstborn, Frank - lots of times, Aequitas - his 636 HP and 180 Magical damage basically means you either need to be a Berserker or have Pisorf). Then I got this, :) which was good for my build of choice:

So, basically Crusader has the advantage of being able to ignore most (2 out of 3 types) of the plants here. Gnome just means I am hoping to see bosses that can be finished by fireballs (the Phys. Resistant Golem Boss already requires raw "fire(ball)power").

Finding Mystera early, getting Martyr Wraps and having all 3 bosses scouted by then, and later getting Crystal Ball made finishing 2 of 3 bosses a fairly easy task (I got a second Schadenfreude potion from the Sub which was just barely enough, converted all glyphs except Burndayraz by then).

The Magic Resistant Golem Boss had 477 HP, 75% Magic Resists, and deals 120 Magical damage - which is actually quite tough to beat. Luckily I had TT which meant I could get the "Reflexes" set of potions. This and I could rack up my damage (Crusader momentum trait) by clearing prepared popcorn (had WeytWhut). The 50% dodge chance from the QuickSilver potion refused to work for me though. I had to "get creative" by buying Vampire Blade to overheal from popcorn before using Reflex potion. 2 double hits later, his health was within 1-hit and the dodge chance finally kicked in, :)

I tried to mop up, had 3 L9's left, 2 Golems and 1 DragonSpawn. It didn't occur to me that I could actually "remove" them by using GG's absolution, was just trying to deal as much damage as possible, and in the end I was just 2 piety short of clearing off the last one (already used up all my piety and gold by the time I noticed that absolution could be used). Never occurred to me but I think this works as a way to get the Unstoppable Badge, provided that the high level monsters (L8 and above) weren't Undead.

And a final point: Another victory for the Gnomes! Yay! :D
~'(^ + ^)'~

Postby Tinker on Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:44 pm

Tinker

Postby eastless on Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:57 pm

eastless

Postby Tinker on Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:33 am

Nice! A little Daily-inspired romp! Congrats for making it into the Hall of Fame by ticking off the last sub-VGT map! ;)
Tinker

Postby The Tapir on Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:28 am

Rise from your grave!

So I was looking at this thread and then this happened.

Was doable thanks to the perfect storm of ingredients - Binlor + BURNDAYRAZ + Lusory right next to the entrance, and a secondary boss (Tomithy) with low enough health and damage to be easily fought on a purist gorgon. Leveling had to be done with animated armors and, occasionally, warlocks - those two alone are both trivialized by the Orb of Lusory, and the knockback + DG combo especially messes up AAs. With such high magic resistance, animated armors a few levels above you are realistic targets during the early levels (not so the higher leveled ones - a level 9 that I was fighting before deciding to tackle the Indomitable had double the attack of the boss himself, and had I not stopped fighting him when I did I would have lost), so focusing on them is required to save resources. As long as you can punch the Indomitable through walls, he'll drop pretty quickly to a point where DG kicks in and basically wins the rest of the fight for you. I had to spend 2 mana potions on him to get down to that point, and then had smooth sailing from there. Tomithy came immediately after that, as spending the resources to level would leave me short for the fight itself, so I converted everything I could get for the DG bonus (got around 40%, which helps ease the fight as your resources start dwindling) used all of my mana resources, popped the first stoneskin, and began regenfighting, using health potions + stoneskins to tank hits and clearing curses with the low-leveled Warlocks and AAs that I had left behind. Viper Ward was immensely helpful when it came time to start using what remaining blackspace I had, and though I finished with plenty of health resources left I had no way of clearing curses as all of the easily killable non-cursed popcorn was gone, and even low-level VT Illusions can take upwards of 5 hits thanks to Gorgon's pitiful base damage while making it even worse in the process.

Overall, I have a feeling that this is the only Hard dungeon a Gorgon could realistically get the Purist + VT combo on, as everything seems to work against her - poison hurts her regenfighting, curse is obviously a run-ender if stacked too high, manaburn negates any type of spellcasting, which she desperately needs in Hard+ dungeons, weakening makes her already abysmally low attack even worse (and hurts DG too - which is the only real tool she has working for her in runs like these), and corrosion sucks when every enemy is only a few health away from one-shotting you. Even given that, I had the best possible luck in finding what I needed immediately, and still came awfully close to failing - had I found something too late, I would not have won. I'd love to see someone else try this to figure out if another start is viable here.
Last edited by The Tapir on Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tapir

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons